sometimes i like it, sometimes it sound boring

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
this is just the sacred cows thread pt. 2 now
Well, yes.

Somewhat on topic, I think 'funkiness' is a great trigger for this. If you're in the mood for a shimmy or the atmosphere's right then you can love music that's got a nice bounce to it even if it's not actually that interesting in other respects - and in a different mood you just find it workmanlike and bland.

And yeah, I guess spaced-out depth (cf Basic Channel etc) is another one.

hucks

Your Message Here
lol

Is it just me or does the whole list-making thing going into overdrive, even more with each passing year? Don't get me wrong, I love making lists and there are some amazing ones to be found on dissensus. There's something hypnotic about looking at a list isn't there? Do any of the clever people on here know about the psychology of making lists? Seems to be very much a male thing. :slanted:Another thread maybe...

You can't move for the fuckers at the moment, but I was hoping that it was just lazy end of the decade rounding up. The thing is that the list is now the main way of making broad cultural points or comparisons. No discussion of music in the last decade without a list. No discussion of British sitcoms without a list. Everything hangs on the list...

viktorvaughn

gza-blowfly-princeton-2.jpg

hilarious photo..

atoga

lol

Is it just me or does the whole list-making thing going into overdrive, even more with each passing year? Don't get me wrong, I love making lists and there are some amazing ones to be found on dissensus. There's something hypnotic about looking at a list isn't there? Do any of the clever people on here know about the psychology of making lists? Seems to be very much a male thing. :slanted:Another thread maybe...

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/01/12/040112ta_talk_menand

brief, but i think it offers a bit of insight

zhao

there are no accidents
lol

it's the illusion of control isn't it which feels so comforting compared to the alternative of adrift in an ocean of information. and the ocean getting bigger and bigger

bruno

est malade
nah not really, there's just tons of the stuff around (most of which never gets outside of Iceland). The music just seems contrived, I think a lot of Icelandic musicians feel like they have to be making this sort of stuff just because Sigur Ros, Björk and Múm did (maybe not a specific type of music, but all these sort of cutesy, naive signifiers, nature adherent stuff). If anything maybe the economic situation will shake those things up...

ah ok, thanks for the insight.