sometimes i like it, sometimes it sound boring

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah but GZA is the scholar! He's the serious man, the chess master, the wise elder of Wu Tang.

Liquid Swords to me is rap music touching the sublime, the best solo wu album.

Maybe I need to hear Pro Tools, just heard the couple before that. I think GZA sounded perfect with the mid 90s RZA sound and the kung fu stuff, the precise swordsman wandering the plains and slewing waste MCs he comes across, not a word wasted... Maybe I'm too into the kung fu element of wu tang but I really like them best when imagined as warrior-scholars and not just gritty NY rappers.

I think I have an allergy to kung fu, due to kids in my youth obsessing over it. I'm more of an ODB/Ghostface man, tho' I'm sure they have their kung fu moments that I'm wiping from my memory.

Edit: tho, weirdly, I loved sino-grime.

tyranny

Yeah but GZA is the scholar! He's the serious man, the chess master, the wise elder of Wu Tang.

Liquid Swords to me is rap music touching the sublime, the best solo wu album.

Maybe I need to hear Pro Tools, just heard the couple before that. I think GZA sounded perfect with the mid 90s RZA sound and the kung fu stuff, the precise swordsman wandering the plains and slewing waste MCs he comes across, not a word wasted... Maybe I'm too into the kung fu element of wu tang but I really like them best when imagined as warrior-scholars and not just gritty NY rappers.

Ah the beloved clan...:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Alfons

Way of the future
Utterly. It's the new signifier of "liking music more than you do"

Same people who bought Autechre and Boards of Canada albums at the time, only this time around they're "blogging" from their "macbooks".

why the quotation marks? Anyway I find the wonky/beats people to be more hip/hipsterish that the idm peeps (which were mostly a bunch of nerds). This debate came up in another thread too, I agree that a lot of this stuff is a bit dry but I think the producers and adherents to this genre genuinely like the music tho.

Alfons

Way of the future
do you associate it with the previous state of things, pre-default?

nah not really, there's just tons of the stuff around (most of which never gets outside of Iceland). The music just seems contrived, I think a lot of Icelandic musicians feel like they have to be making this sort of stuff just because Sigur Ros, Björk and Múm did (maybe not a specific type of music, but all these sort of cutesy, naive signifiers, nature adherent stuff). If anything maybe the economic situation will shake those things up...

Ory

warp drive
There's plenty of jazz and funk which doesn't fall into the tasteful category. But I'm sure you knew that...
Tastefulness is interesting though, I reckon it exists more as a gradation than as an either/or category.

well that's what i mean, it does all end up in that category, comparatively. no matter how 'raw' it gets.

then there's the extreme end of that like smooth jazz which is never interesting..

straight

wings cru
The last roska EP I picked up had me wondering why I was listening to someone making dry sample pack Innervisions knockoffs

joe.dfx

who knows...
Most (if not all) UK Funky
Hyperdub 5 CD (good song/bad song/boring song/good song/boring song/etc/etc & never in that same order)
Berlin Techno (it's supposed to be really good, right?)
Shackleton (already stated, but should probably be at the top of my list)
Pinch (really love the early stuff, but lately is a big hit or miss)
Indie Hip Hop (mostly due to the fans @ shows, 'backpack' new era hats etc)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Liquid swords is all about the beats

I prefer OB4CLinx though.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Maybe we could create a rolling "I disapprove of something" thread where we can all write lists of things that aren't as good as other things. That would be great.

Benny Bunter

Maybe we could create a rolling "I disapprove of something" thread where we can all write lists of things that aren't as good as other things. That would be great.
lol

Is it just me or does the whole list-making thing going into overdrive, even more with each passing year? Don't get me wrong, I love making lists and there are some amazing ones to be found on dissensus. There's something hypnotic about looking at a list isn't there? Do any of the clever people on here know about the psychology of making lists? Seems to be very much a male thing. :slanted:Another thread maybe...

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
It's the mild buzz when you put forth something that's bleding obvious but no-one else
has thought of yet, rite?
Pokemon for big boys

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
What is tasteful jazz?

That which is considered great by people with Good Taste? :D;)

Someone mentioned Bill Evans way back - which I connected with instantly. I've listened to a lot of his music and still have mixed feelings of admiration (at the improvisational skill) and, yes, boredom, especially with the lengthy bass/drum solos...which are supposedly the point of what many regard as the ultimate in a jazz trio. But then again he wrote Waltz For Debby and was crucial to the sound of that Miles Davis album and I forgive him totally.

Basic Channel, as someone has also mentioned, I find both brilliant and boring...because I know it has that unique texture which is fascinating but I can't listen with rapt attention to a 13min riff or even, sometimes, the standard 7min one. Perhaps it's music for producers just as Jazz-Rock is drooled over by musos...admiring the technique so much.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Agreed on GZA - what's the big deal? I like a couple of songs, but it's so....geeky?

gza-blowfly-princeton-2.jpg