Blackdown

nexKeysound
Post-dubstep's real forbear, if it needs to have one, is more likely the brokenbeat scene that came about at the tail end of garage and dnb. Artists like Zed Bias & Mark Pritchard's resurgence seems to suggest so.

i dont buy this, there's no causation. plus broken beat fizzled out (Goya folded etc) before dubstep even blew up in 06/08

hint

party record with a siren
what does Mark Pritchard have to do with Broken Beat?

troubleman%20cover.jpg

... kinda

For those that don't know:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i dont buy this, there's no causation. plus broken beat fizzled out (Goya folded etc) before dubstep even blew up in 06/08

There's an argument for it now having evolved into a similar sort of place though - plenty of similarities: eclectic, self-aware, often classicist, interested in "street music" but only overlapping with it at the edges, "dancefloor music that works at home as well"....

Could you be the Giles Peterson of post-dubstep? Scary thought...

trza

I had always thought the current Funky releases by Ossie or Scratcha DVA had more in common with Broken Beat than any of the post dubstep that gets mentioned here.

And we need the phrase post dubstep, its a genre identified by where it comes from. If a person understands how dubstep music has changed over the years then they get it immediately.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, but from what I heard of it broken beat was enough of a stylistic free-for-all that pretty much anything a bit funky and a bit housey and a bit percussive can reasonably described as being a bit like broken beat.

The dynamic of the scene seems completely different, though...

denoir

Yeah, but from what I heard of it broken beat was enough of a stylistic free-for-all that pretty much anything a bit funky and a bit housey and a bit percussive can reasonably described as being a bit like broken beat.

I think the broken beat scene was fairly coherent in terms of sound aesthetics and influences, which is quite the opposite of post-dubstep at the moment. Also, there were only a few "big" producers on the scene.

I agree with your previous post, although the comparison can't be applied to post-dubstep as a whole, only to some of its substyles imho.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
There's an argument for it now having evolved into a similar sort of place though - plenty of similarities: eclectic, self-aware, often classicist, interested in "street music" but only overlapping with it at the edges, "dancefloor music that works at home as well"....

Could you be the Giles Peterson of post-dubstep? Scary thought...

No, that's Kode.

If you're reading this Kode, I got you proper with that one rudeboy mwahaha :)

denoir

I had always thought the current Funky releases by Ossie or Scratcha DVA had more in common with Broken Beat than any of the post dubstep that gets mentioned here.

that's why they belong in this thread and not in the funky one ;)

Trillhouse

There's an argument for it now having evolved into a similar sort of place though - plenty of similarities: eclectic, self-aware, often classicist, interested in "street music" but only overlapping with it at the edges, "dancefloor music that works at home as well"...

Yes, I was talking in more general terms rather than post-dubstep being the direct descendant of brokenbeat sonically or as a scene.

Both have come at the tail end of a more classically definable genre, dnb / dubstep. And sonically they're both strongly informed by what came before but in subtle ways because of their eclectic nature.

Although there was a definite brokenbeat scene, I have encountered plenty of people who would say sonically it's just house music (maybe with a little more focus on a heavy bass line). And it was surrounded by similar micro genres that could happily fit on the same bill as they shared a common eclecticism.

It's pretty broad brush strokes, but as moments in the timeline of UK dance music, I see can definite similarities. And surely Benji B is the Giles Peterson of post dubstep.

Last edited:

Trillhouse

what does Mark Pritchard have to do with Broken Beat?
Maybe I should've said Steve White then?

Or I shouldn't have said broken beat specifically, but I don't know how else to describe the UK dance music scene that was around a decade or so ago.

outraygeous

I dont think brokenbeat had much of an internet following. Everything they did was real and they just did it.

Jazz re freshed is still going on, the guys from the broken scene are still working.

I was kinda like, if you werent there or not into it, you missed it.

when funky came about people were all playing this like it was new

This was one of the reasons I let the UK Funky scene pass me by.

Oh and also, I went to a proper house night recently and it was just like a garage event. Sunday night, goons buying champagne and having a dance. It was so refreshing to see people have a good time and spend money. Not like what its like in East London.

outraygeous

I can't wait til the point in my life when I become nostalgic about hyper-consumerism

It happened for me, I used to go and spend all my money on designer clothes, records and champagne at garage events

Now I am a boring grown up who wears second hand clothes when they are reduced to £1 and I eat plain rice for dinner.

My swaggers insane