rubberdingyrapids

its a useless name. like calling rock music 'treble music'. grime wasnt about bass. funky isnt about bass. its basically dance music as seen through a dubstep lens. as if dubstep is all that matters.

SecondLine

I dunno, I think it's an alright term when judiciously used....I mean grime and funky aren't ABOUT bass but subbass is a much more integral part of them than it is in folk...or even house, though that's a much bigger and more subtle debate

but yeah totally abused by ignorant 16 year old revisionists

sgn

I'm not a fan either, but you need to call it something when talking about it and "post dubstep" and "UK bass" isn't much better. I guess the fact that no one has come up with a name that most of us can agree on (or atleast not actively hate) for all this music says quite a bit.

@Big Nose - Thank you for the link. I'll be checking that out later tonight.

Esp

Bass music is bad but Post-dubstep is worse...imagine if Reggae had been called 'Post-Ska'.

A lot of the better Genre names reference places or dances associated with the music's emergence, post-dubstep should be called 'Bedroomlaptopburialforum & Bass'

SecondLine

post punk

it's to do with the way that genre/scene/ideology interacts with the referenced genre/scene/ideology.

I'm not arguing for 'post dubstep'. But in many ways it's the best option.

rubberdingyrapids

post dubstep is the best name cos this stuff is all dubstep informed and influenced and sounds a certain way COS of dubstep but isnt actually dubstep. the post prefix makes sense cos it still hasnt found its own concrete identity as such yet. you could have called jungle post hardcore in its early stages, but by 94, it was def its own thing, and you couldnt really deny that.

SecondLine

I was watching BBC news tonight on all the economy stuff.

Apparently one of the arguments against u-turning on all the evil tory funding cuts and public sector mutilation is that fiscal stimulus won't work because the UK economy has 'lost its entrepreneurial zeal'...even if you pumped money into the economy it wouldn't get things going because we're just not the economic powerhouse we used to be.

there's a lulzy parallel with the nuum there.

IT'S ALL GONE TO SHIT

rubberdingyrapids

boringly, its prob more down to our reliance on the web, people buying less music, people making less money from music, and so on, that has affected peoples attitudes to it, than anything in the wider western/british culture.

firefly

post punk

it's to do with the way that genre/scene/ideology interacts with the referenced genre/scene/ideology.

I'm not arguing for 'post dubstep'. But in many ways it's the best option.

this post-punk comparison has been in the air for a while, and to a certain extent it can prove helpful, but at the same time we have to keep in mind that...

some of the most important bands and sounds of the so called post-punk came at the same time, if not before punk (e.g. devo, suicide, pere ubu)

so it's not so much of an interaction with the referenced genre as it's a construct of music critics of the time (and parroted afterwards)

instead, we should be asking ourselves, how much did the original dubstep signifiers really contribute to this tasteless soup of post-dubstep?

i agree that most of the electro diaspora (moombahton, electro cumbia, tecno brega, tribal guarachero, glitch-hop) has been heavily inspired by the bass aspect of dubstep, but couldn't really say the same for post-dubstep. it feels so much more informed about electronica, idm, house and techno than dubstep

and because it's so disconnected from this bass, minimalist template, it doesn't really deserve its name

SecondLine

this post-punk comparison has been in the air for a while, and to a certain extent it can prove helpful, but at the same time we have to keep in mind that...

some of the most important bands and sounds of the so called post-punk came at the same time, if not before punk (e.g. devo, suicide, pere ubu)

so it's not so much of an interaction with the referenced genre as it's a construct of music critics of the time (and parroted afterwards)

instead, we should be asking ourselves, how much did the original dubstep signifiers really contribute to this tasteless soup of post-dubstep?

i agree that most of the electro diaspora (moombahton, electro cumbia, tecno brega, tribal guarachero, glitch-hop) has been heavily inspired by the bass aspect of dubstep, but couldn't really say the same for post-dubstep. it feels so much more informed about electronica, idm, house and techno than dubstep

and because it's so disconnected from this bass, minimalist template, it doesn't really deserve its name

Yeah I was more referring specifically to the 'why don't we call everything post-skiffle' argument...there are situations in which it's a valid piece of terminology.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I was watching BBC news tonight on all the economy stuff.

Apparently one of the arguments against u-turning on all the evil tory funding cuts and public sector mutilation is that fiscal stimulus won't work because the UK economy has 'lost its entrepreneurial zeal'...even if you pumped money into the economy it wouldn't get things going because we're just not the economic powerhouse we used to be.

there's a lulzy parallel with the nuum there.

IT'S ALL GONE TO SHIT

I don't feel that way. As a label owner I find all the tools, contacts & resources I can access empowering.

Trillhouse

Who knew there was an electro diaspora.

Aren't most of these micro genres just specific cultures attaching their sounds to what ever club music is about. So because "dubstep" is popular stateside, it gets incorporated. It has little to with an actual musical lineage. Where as post-dubstep is most definitely is.

Post-dubstep's real forbear, if it needs to have one, is more likely the brokenbeat scene that came about at the tail end of garage and dnb. Artists like Zed Bias & Mark Pritchard's resurgence seems to suggest so.

Post-dubstep isn't really a definable genre, so it makes sense that it doesn't have a proper name.

Last edited:

firefly

Post-dubstep's real forbear, if it needs to have one, is more likely the brokenbeat scene that came about at the tail end of garage and dnb. Artists like Zed Bias & Mark Pritchard's resurgence seems to suggest so.

i agree, but why isn't it called post-brokenbeat then?