Enough of sea sick synths

Status
Not open for further replies.

mms

sometimes
what idiots are racist to latinos? at least i'm not female that would be all sorts of trouble on a board like dissensus

oh and i LLLIIIKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEE emoticons cos they display the way i feel

for instance at the moment i feel upset as i'm once again encoutering racism like i have done all my life

:(:(:(:(:(

if i was black you would think i was cool. the latinos always get wrriten out of music history

you're missing the point fella.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I really like Jelly Roll.
Not so keen on Citizens' Dub, though it grabs your attention on the first couple of listens.

Can't be bothered discussing this in any more depth, 'cause like everyone is saying the whole thread is a troll-trap...

Richard Carnage

I really like Jelly Roll.
Not so keen on Citizens' Dub, though it grabs your attention on the first couple of listens.

Can't be bothered discussing this in any more depth, 'cause like everyone is saying the whole thread is a troll-trap...

Don't really like either of them, personally. Think Juan had a point to be fair (well, I kind of agree with him, so shoot me), but the only reason he's going on a troll mission is due to being poked by HMGovt in a rather flippant manner at the start of the thread.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Don't really like either of them, personally. Think Juan had a point to be fair (well, I kind of agree with him, so shoot me), but the only reason he's going on a troll mission is due to being poked by HMGovt in a rather flippant manner at the start of the thread.

Yeah, or at least half a point I reckon. I would def never try and claim sea-sick synth sounds, or the purple style or other related synth sounds, are by themselves more intelligent or more subtle or whatever than LFO wobbles in the dubstep style. I just tend to prefer them personally 'cause they have that bit more colour to them, and perhaps lend themselves to melodies better. But there have def been some pretty meh uses of them, I agree.
HMG's response was a bit weird, but I reckon Juan is having a bit of a laugh right through this thread. Which is fair enough.

soul_pill

I've always felt a bit "sea-sick" listening to these 2:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

gumdrops

the sea sick thing started with kode 9's black sun right? cos thats what i think of when i hear brackles i love london, deadboy etc. i dont mind it, but it *can* sound a bit like someone just fucking around with the pitch/modulation etc. or maybe id like it more if the fucking around quality was more pronounced rather than used in service of trying to present something all emotional etc. i think it might work better with more playful stuff like jellyroll rather than something thats going for emo-authenticity like deadboy or that brackles tune.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
sea sick synths = wonky. sorry, i know no one likes that term but this exactly what i originally used it for: off-kilter, unstable synths.

scratcha's a badman but i much prefer citizens dub. more like this please, using non-seasick/wonky synths is what makes much of the dullest of dub techno, liquid d&b, chill out etc so safe and dull.

mms

sometimes
who used the term sea sick synths first ?
- was it blackdown or tom lea -?

i think this can only be sorted out with a duel to the death.

tom lea

i dont fancy it if blackdown has trim backing him, but then again i could maybe get t. williams to give jon e cash a call.

as i say tho, i nicked it off dan hancox so it's a three-way if anything.

alex

Do not read this.
Yea, not a fan of the playful ones, prefer the 'serious' ones. 2 Far Gone springs to mind. The playful ones are a bit too playful (not tasteful, why tasteful?, my brain is mush) for my taste. Cool basslines though.

Last edited:

grizzleb

sea sick synths = wonky. sorry, i know no one likes that term but this exactly what i originally used it for: off-kilter, unstable synths.

scratcha's a badman but i much prefer citizens dub. more like this please, using non-seasick/wonky synths is what makes much of the dullest of dub techno, liquid d&b, chill out etc so safe and dull.

Yeah exactly mate all tracks made these days should just stick a very current sound on them to make them fresh and cool.

mms

sometimes

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Yeah exactly mate all tracks made these days should just stick a very current sound on them to make them fresh and cool.

yeah exactly "mate" either that or just use bait sounds to make them sound entirely derivative of the collective sonic output of the two proceeding decades' prominent genres.

Status
Not open for further replies.