hip hop '10

tom lea

me and some friends will be playing hiphop and rnb from 9pm-3am at the nest, in Dalston (bout five mins from the alibi). Velour is Hyetal and Julio Bashmore, you probably know who DJ Tearjerker is. or maybe not.

the evening's gonna start with Robin from Tri Angle doing a DJ Screw tribute set.

sobonesbig.jpg

outraygeous

Play some B.O.B

was at a party on sunday and the hipsters loved it!

When Hard in the paint came on and I started moshing, they didn't appreciate that.

DJ TIPS

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Alex Nut played this last night. Big boy kick drum. Hot ass beat clap.

edit: also, this Main Attrakionz beat is great imo

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
this is the biggest hip hop record in australia right now. please dont groan and dismiss this, its actually real hard... the video is nice too. its by a lebanese australian guy called raed. look out from him. first hiphop from australia to actually sound good.

I thought you were being serious. Did yous ee this?:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

courtesy of Noz (again). As on the Waka album, drum hits and ad-libs drop in and out (and a siren bellows and a machine gun rattles) to create this sense of ''DANGER'' and delirious aggression. These little moments of silence creating multiple drops...

This style of production in which you get a snare/clap on its own rapping out a sort of martial beat before a big 808 comes stomping in - where does it come from ('trap' rap/hyphy maybe?)? Similar effect on Beyonce's 'Videophone'...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm excited about this guy right now. His album Trunk Muzik 0-60 is fantastic. He's getting the co-sign from everyone right now from Big Boi to Eminem.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
^ Tea Party crap

Tea Party?

As in the radio-friendly Canadian alt-rock band, the conservative political movement, or the afternoon social gathering hosted by the Mad Hatter? I'm having trouble finding any connection between all three and that video.

luka

ilx have been going on about him for a long time. they're obsessed with him. i dont like him much and i especially dont like that song or video. that lloyd banks corpsey put up is amazing though.

continuum

smugpolice
Tea Party?

As in the radio-friendly Canadian alt-rock band, the conservative political movement, or the afternoon social gathering hosted by the Mad Hatter? I'm having trouble finding any connection between all three and that video.

the conservative political movement. mainly because that video stinks of the deep south which we've all had enough of for the time being. let some other people have a go.

i'm feeling this lil b tune pantha posted:

CrowleyHead

Yela is definitely NOT my favorite rapper out at the moment. I like him in small doses, but I'm certainly finding myself getting impatient with him... I think he's really competent, but I just don't see him blowing people away or anything.

Not to encourage white on white crime, but I think Roach Gigz is a much better rapper with only 1/5th of the hype.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
lol conservative? I guess as much as a half-native previously homeless skater bum-turned-rapper can be conservative.

What's everyone's thoughts on this Odd Future shit? They are all affiliated with the Flying Lotus/Low End Theory scene going on in LA and they seem to be kind of carrying Def Jux's torch now they went under. I definitely can get down with some of their producers, but sometimes when MC's get weird they get a little too weird and start spitting bullshit. This track is a perfect example:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Beat is sick, flow is sick, the whole vibe is sick, but what the FUCK is this guy rapping about?

lol @ "my dick is having guts for lunch" though

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There's been a lot of OF hype in this thread. I still haven't got round to listening to ''Bastard'' properly, having preferred the Earl album since I first heard it. Earl is the best rapper I've heard from the clique, Tyler obviously a close second. I haven't liked a lot of stuff by them (''Sandwitches'' for example didn't make much of an impression on me) but there have been some very strong highlights e.g.:

My favourite OF stuff is the stuff with quite spaced-out/druggy beats.

CrowleyHead

Also I'm feeling that Roach Gigz guy, but Yela is way more original.

Is he though? To me he's all the 'significant' parts of Eminem and Bubba Sparxx thrown in a blender. Maybe I'm being cynical, but the whole 'White Rapper from the trailer park of Alabama, raised on a mix of Skynyrd and Dirty South, torn between a love of his skateboard and rhymes' thing just seems really cheesy. Not to disservice his skills or songs.

Also, the moment I found out he was a professional skateboarder once, I predicted that he was a Heiro/Souls fan. Looked up like, two interviews, BAM! He's talking about '93 Til Infinity in EACH ONE. I'm annoyed more people play up his love of backpack rap than try to discern his taste in southern rap, because his taste in 'classic rap albums' has NO RELEVANCE to the music he makes.

luka

i remember someone telling me SOM were on some famous skate video and that explains why so many people about my age who know nothing about hiphop love SOM. (more in AUS and NZ than england cos english people, thank god, dont play on skateboards.)