Dropboxing the Dissensian Music?

Benny Bunter

OK I've created a Dissensus Electronic Dance Music folder. Now I just need email addresses. PM me if you want to share.

edit: I'm happy to add any of you regular dissensus users to this folder, but please, no recent, commercially available stuff. Otherwise unavailable tunes, mixes and vinyl rips only please.

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i added a ton of stuff to metal
and a thing or two to misc

i will leave it up for a few days before deleting it
i've only got the free account and i will need some of that space back

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
I'm downloading stuff at 6.3kb/s (it is peak time here but still!?). Where are these servers located? The Congo?

Leo

one request: if possible, can we name (or rename, if needed) the posted files to ID the artists and tunes? not big deal but would make life easier. thanks.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Can I just check what are the parameters of the stuff we can put on here?

I was going to add some mixes, some difficult-to-find music, and various random things that I think may be of interest...

Benny Bunter

Can I just check what are the parameters of the stuff we can put on here?

I was going to add some mixes, some difficult-to-find music, and various random things that I think may be of interest...

was discussing this with 'You' last night.

My position is no recent commercially available stuff. Mixes, hard to find stuff and vinyl rips are welcome, but I'm gonna delete any stuff that I think is dodgy from the folder I set up. Send me your email and I'll add you to the dance music folder.

you

Dropbox Etiquette?

Gosh - I really didn't think this through.

At first I thought a bunch of folders for members to chuck files into would be cool, now I'm coming round to the idea that volume will undermine positives.

Whilst it may be altruistic to dump the entire Papa Roach catalogue into the folders to share with people, if no-one is asking for it then those files are just clogging up the valuable space of other members dropboxes ( some of these maybe smaller/larger than others ) so whilst 1k of naff nu-metal may not be the end of the world for some it could frustrate others.

When Benny B first mentioned discussing the sort of criteria for a warranted upload I didnt like it ( no offense ), but I cant help but think that a few simple ground rules would avoid the situation deteriorating into an un-rewarding experience/frustrating palaver.

- Use it for things people may not find readily available
- Use it if another member suggests, if someone else would rather dropbox a particular file rather than search online or through open p2p networks.
- Use it to better illustrate thread content ( if asked, or if starting a thread )

That said, I don't want come across all dictatorial, it's your folder as much as mine, but it has to work out positively for everyone - what do you guys think of what I've said so far?

wascal

Wild Horses
I've hit a problem as I use my dropbox account to share my music and have access to a few mates' ones - these dissensus dropbox folders have within a couple of days whacked me way over the 2gb limit for free accounts and afaik you can only have one account synced with a folder on your pc :mad:

Benny Bunter

You, I must confess I didn't realise that this would be a problem. I didn't know the folders could fill up in this way and thought the space available in them was the sum total of all the contributers to them (if you know what I mean). Obviously I misunderstood.

As I mentioned to you earlier, I don't want to be a dropbox-nazi about what should be posted in these folders either but in the folder I set up (the dance music one) I don't really want stuff you can buy elsewhere cos I'm not really down with that and I think most people would agree. I think the ground-rules you've stated above seem pretty reasonable though and I'm happy to stick with them.

One problem is you can't really tell who's uploading what into them. Space isn't a huge issue for me as I'm not planning to use dropbox for anything else at the minute, but I can see how that would be a pain in the arse for people like Wascal. Maybe its best to just have some sort of regular clear-out of the folders so things are only up for a limited time. And of course ask people not to go daft and upload shitloads of stuff at once.

Proper can of worms! lol

you

Wascal - Yeah, one per computer.... But that will grow if you can invite people, why not invite your work computer and your mates computer, gain 1/2G then delete the program?

Benny B - Ha, yeah! I don't use it for anything other than this, but for people who do it could become a pain. I think just being a little reserved and reflexive ( like you are before you launch a new thread ) is best, yknow just stop and think is it really needed sort of mentality....

Benny Bunter

i added a ton of stuff to metal
and a thing or two to misc

i will leave it up for a few days before deleting it
i've only got the free account and i will need some of that space back

probably best not upload this much stuff at one, especially without anyone specifically asking for it then?

I'm gonna delete some of the stuff I uploaded tomorrow I think so grab whatever you want while you can. And just ask me if you want anything more specific. I've got plenty of old-skool hardcore, jungle and garage rips ready to go fwiw.

continuum

smugpolice
folders need to be moderated. only leave stuff in there for a specified amount of days before deleting. the electronic dance music one doesn't have much in it at present. please upload some more hardcore jungle garage rips Benny. Enjoyed what's been posted in there so far. im going to upload some 4x4 grime vinly rips this evening.

Benny Bunter

I will be upping some more stuff tomoz when I delete what I put in there yesterday. By all means go ahead and put the grime in there, then just delete it in a day or two. I will moderate this folder but obv don't want people taking the piss.

I'm also slightly conscious of clogging up the main forum with posts about whats gonna be shared etc. Better to use pms for specific requests etc. its not puregrimeforum after all and I don't want dissensus getting a reputation for being a haven for file-sharing. That would suck.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

You, you're inbox is full by the way. Just to say I look fwd to your recommendations! ;)

This is the last time I'll be posting in this thread for the reasons stated above. Just PM me for any requests for tunes or if you want added to the folder. Good night!

Leo

just had a chuckle when i clicked on the mp3 from plasticman, expecting to hear some rare richie hawtin tracks...

Benny Bunter

Actually, just one more thing.

This is a Dissensus shared folder ting right? So where do you lot stand on inviting people who don't post on here much, or haven't been on here for very long? Should there be some sort of rule where you have to have so many posts on dissensus or something before you're allowed to join?

I only ask because its you lots music that's getting shared and you should really have a say in who has access to it. I'd appreciate it if the people already involved and are uploading things let me know what you think about this, just in case a load of lurkers keep bothering me to add them. I find it hard to say no to people, so maybe there should be some sort of minimum post requirement?

Please let me know what you think, I don't want this keeping me up all night, wracked with guilt lol

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Well, one could always invite people (who ever they might be) with access to the drop-box folders to a special, newly created hidden subforum with a thread for each of the folders. Messaging many people over PM's is rather unwieldy.

In my experience it might be worthwhile having a requests.txt file each folder that people can add things too...

Benny Bunter

Well, one could always invite people (who ever they might be) with access to the drop-box folders to a special, newly created hidden subforum with a thread for each of the folders. Messaging many people over PM's is rather unwieldy.

In my experience it might be worthwhile having a requests.txt file each folder that people can add things too...

How would you go about creating a sub-forum though? Sounds a bit over-elaborate to me and not something I really want to get into. i like the idea of a requests text file though, do you know how to sort that out?

Still doesn't really answer my question though...who should have access? Sorry to over-complicate matters but this could do with being thought through and organised properly so everyone knows who has access to what they're uploading. I think dropbox is a brilliant idea but its also a bit of a minefield...

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Creating sub-forums is pretty straight forward. This forum almost certainly has one for the admins/mods already.
Normally in the forum control panel you can just add rights to different people.

ANYWAY, for the other idea: one simply makes a blank text file and leaves it in the relevant folder. If you want something you can add it to the file and re-save. Just don't delete what's already on the list.
Other people can read the list, and if they've got something - upload it. They can either then delete the request on the list or just write a note saying it's uploaded and leave it to the requests originator to delete off the list.

Leo

selfish, perhaps, but i think we should just keep it for dissensians (?), for the time being anyway. seems like it would be easier to manage that way.

i don't feel strongly about it, though, so if others feel otherwise then by all means go ahead and open the floodgates.