Jackin' / Electroline

wise

bare BARE BONES
I think the Basement Jaxx / Groove Armada thing is pretty on the money, though i've yet to hear any Jackin tracks that are quite as weirdly inventive as the Jaxx, they did so much within a house template.
Jackin seems much more clearly defined at the moment.

re that Todd clip, apparently he was the first to sample that disco tune for the 'right on time' vocal which maybe undermines your argument a bit?
but yeah I see what you're saying.
I definitely prefer Jackin that edges on Garage more than House, the stuff thats a bit more swingy in the percussion.
The vocal in that last clip I posted (Nick Hannam/Ryan James - Sleep Talk) has cheeky little (garagey) edits that make it more interesting than a lot of Jackin vocal stuff for me.

Thanks for the links i'll work my way through em

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
With funky I suppose you can talk about 2006-2007 being an incubation period in the underground, but by 2008 it was already 'discovered' and 2009 people were already talking about it dying as a club scene, it becoming something other than what they wanted it to be - the return of its fans and producers into deep and tech house etc. Certainly by 2010 the vast bulk of great funky tunes were being made by a very small selection of producers (Roska, T.Williams, Lil Silva) and I always had a sense of it deterritorializing too quickly, becoming a 'flavour' in the sound pallets of producers outside the scene but in a way that kind of leached energy out of the scene itself. Difficult to prove the internet connection but it did feel like a case of the internet colliding with a local scene and the local scene loosing out...

funky utilised the internet in the same way that jackin does now - youtube/soundcloud marketing, ukfunky.net (obviously not as awe inspiringly massive as bigtunesmp3) - the 'collision' with the internet you talk about translates, i think, to just 'more people from different places using it', and i think it'd be as easy to argue that the timing of this was pretty irrelevant to the funky scene burning itself out. fierce arguments over style and the role of MCs etc seem more directly connected to it for example than your observation earlier that 'the internet' lead to record shops getting their filing systems confused and putting pariah records in the 'funky' section..

re: jackin being 'immune' to the internet - one of the ways out of the 'nuum conversation that benny mentioned as offered on ilx is just that jackin won't suffer a scene-wide burnout, but if it does then it won't matter because the community's fluidity and lack of sentimentality will just allow it to move on to the next thing.. but this isn't really new either, and seems to me just another way of saying that the idea of scenius isn't applicable anymore. it's the same thing that was being written about 'us lot' (as in, 'the internet's idea of what constitutes us lot')

Last edited:

datwun

funky utilised the internet in the same way that jackin does now - youtube/soundcloud marketing, ukfunky.net (obviously not as awe inspiringly massive as bigtunesmp3) ... fierce arguments over style and the role of MCs etc seem more directly connected to it for example than your observation earlier that 'the internet' lead to record shops getting their filing systems confused and putting pariah records in the 'funky' section..

You could well be right. It did feel like funky ran into a lot of the problems garage did (not so much MCs as the split in the scene that followed in the wake of the MCs) far quicker than garage, and I was always struck by a sense that it never quite became what it could have. This coincided with the fact that, along with post-dubstep/future garage etc. it was the first nuum scene to develop when the internet was already this giant unavoidable thing (even bassline had a couple of years around 2004-5 where the internet wasn't yet a big enough presence to fundamentally change how it was consumed and produced - though it was perhaps the first UK scene to really use youtube in a big way). But sometimes co-incidence doesn't imply causation.

re: jackin being 'immune' to the internet - one of the ways out of the 'nuum conversation that benny mentioned as offered on ilx is just that jackin won't suffer a scene-wide burnout, but if it does then it won't matter because the community's fluidity and lack of sentimentality will just allow it to move on to the next thing.. but this isn't really new either, and seems to me just another way of saying that the idea of scenius isn't applicable anymore. it's the same thing that was being written about 'us lot' (as in, 'the internet's idea of what constitutes us lot')

It's not that jackin's immune to the internet, as much as that at the moment it seems to incorporating the internet into its modes of production/consumption in a way which hasn't lead to a total decontexualized/internetty sound.

To be honest though I think that's just because the local foundations it's based on are stronger than those in London at the moment. As in, better attended raves, more fun/druggy vibez, + well defined sonic boundaries (126-130, 4x4 beat, bouncy bass, carnivorous appetite for the best pop vocals etc) that allows the scene to incorporate different influences while still remaining jackin. The internet's almost irrelevant in that it's the fact that the scene is so strong in an old skool scienius way that means it can resist the negative effects that the internet can have on scenes.

If/when the scene dries up, the spaces for innovation within the sonic boundaries are used up, the scene turns aggy and gets hassled by the police etc. there's nothing unique about jackin that would stop it dying like most other genres have died in the past...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i think basically all im getting at is that jackin is its own thing, and should be celebrated in its own right for what it is right now

thanks for the posts, ive enjoyed reading them

datwun

i think basically all im getting at is that jackin is its own thing, and should be celebrated in its own right for what it is right now

thanks for the posts, ive enjoyed reading them

I can fully back that :D
Same here!

-----
So this one's a wee bit evil:
The drums remind me of Einstürzende Neubauten lol
got that dark spooky bassline feel of Screama.

This one ticks aaaalll the boxes
hip hop/weed vocal sample, drums twitching and skipping all over the place, wobbling owls, rave piano stabs and lotsa sub :D

And I was 100% predisposed to love this because of the sample

banshee

-----
So this one's a wee bit evil:
The drums remind me of Einstürzende Neubauten lol
got that dark spooky bassline feel of Screama.

Specks! nice to hear him on jackin, this was a late bassline classic

love how some of the MCs in jackin rap in triplets sometimes (go to 1:46 of that brent kilner track, and tom zanetti does it alot)- like in old three 6 mafia tracks.. i think its cos the slower tempo allows it more than bassline/grime/140 did.

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
pure garage surely?
that is a tune though

bit of a blawan thing going on in that Brent Kilner tune

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
Cause & Affect ft Zahra Palmer _ Get Enough

yeah I do like it Ben, exceedingly Basement Jaxxy

wise

bare BARE BONES

OK i'm getting it now, had a bit of a revelation after listening to that Cause & Affect tune where I was finally able to listen to Jackin as it's own thing rather than within the bloody nuum framework.
Bought a load of tunes from Bigtunes and got on the decks for the first time in months, stupid to have to say but obviously my SUB made a big difference to my appreciation of the tunes :D

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

OK i'm getting it now, had a bit of a revelation after listening to that Cause & Affect tune where I was finally able to listen to Jackin as it's own thing rather than within the bloody nuum framework.
Bought a load of tunes from Bigtunes and got on the decks for the first time in months, stupid to have to say but obviously my SUB made a big difference to my appreciation of the tunes :D

That Billy Kenny track is great isn't it

Turns out that Dirtybird are releasing 'Don't like to do that', yay!

wise

bare BARE BONES
I was suprised to see they had a track on Sneak's recentish mix for Fabric, didn't like the track much though, bit electroswing

Ryan James giving away a load of tracks on his SC

Benny Bunter

Question: is Paul Lawrence the brother of Lorenzo (Chris Lawrence, right?) or did I just make that up in my head? Either way he has an extraordinary number of bangers out on bigtunes right now.

eg:
Wise that one you want is on there too, just came out if you hadn't seen it.

Last edited:

datwun

That naughty girl one BANGS.

Played a bunch of Jackin at a rave the other night, this was the tune that went off hardest:
Loving this one (hat tip Jambie) on a darkcore vybe:
Jambie pointed out that the bass has a eski vibe going on, it wasn't something I had thought about before but when I asked Lorenzo what were some of the influences behind the jackin bass he mentioned Musical Mobb right away.

New Hannah Wants with bass that makes you go OOOOF

Wise: nice to see you getting aboard! That's funny about you not listening to them with sub :s Also like saying the trax are too slow, when you can pitch them up as fast as you like!
You working on any mixes?

Last edited: