salute tottenham

john eden

male pale and stale
Never underestimate the power of machismo!
Cheers, that Guardian piece is good.

I've been amazed by the lack of self-awareness of some of the yoot, to be fair.

It's almost as if posting up photos of yourself and boasting on facebook is more important than actually taking part... ;)

luka

slim jenkins i stand by that comment. i saddens me to see how dull dissensus has got and i do think the dsf refugees are the main reason for it. feel free to disagree.
i think sloane and sufi and primarily me have made the best points here.

john eden

male pale and stale
slim jenkins i stand by that comment. i saddens me to see how dull dissensus has got and i do think the dsf refugees are the main reason for it. feel free to disagree.
i think sloane and sufi and primarily me have made the best points here.

I think discussing the current situation in the UK is more interesting than getting into the various personalities, origins and strengths/weaknesses of people who post on Dissensus, personally. :)

Some bits and bobs here on Tottenham and Hackney: http://www.uncarved.org/blog

you

I've been amazed by the lack of self-awareness of some of the yoot, to be fair.

It's almost as if posting up photos of yourself and boasting on facebook is more important than actually taking part... ;)

up on some cyber-meta tip over here - surely that IS taking part under the paradigm of todays communications, mediums and politics.....

IdleRich

IdleRich
"At weekends the farmers’ market brings thousands into the borough. But then the night falls, and the streets are taken over by the malign force of the gangs of fatherless boys."
That's Hackney is it? According to that Telegraph article at least.

john eden

male pale and stale
brings thousands of telegraph readers to the borough more like.

When I was doing some stuff around Broadway Market it was very striking that the publicity for the weekend market (bread at five quid a loaf etc) was all about how to get there from outside Hackney...

4linehaiku

Repetitive
It's slightly depressing to see everybody (myself included) interpreting the whole thing as conclusive proof that they were right all along, regardless of what those underlying opinions were. All the leftists (again including me I suppose) slot it seamlessly into "the cuts are bad" and others now 'have proof' that "these people are mindless scum" etc.
Twitter commentators getting hard-ons for rubber bullets and the army, rapidly followed by others revelling with equal glee in the "exposure of the racism and class-hatred of self-proclaimed liberals etc etc". So it turns out a lot of people rate their personal safety and their collection of material shit higher than their principles when stuff around them is on fire. Quelle suprise? Is knowing that about @generic_guy_23 really much of a radical marxist victory?
Anyone appearing on TV presenting an 'explanation' for the actions of thousands of individuals you don't agree with is greeted with cries of "get this cunt off TV", but no censorship is actually required as seconds later you can just change channel to some other pundit who's views more closely match your own.

Rather boring bit of navel gazing I suppose. Agree with GrizzleB's take on things personally, but then I would wouldn't I? It's a good thread Luka, but as you say, we're mostly playing out our usual roles.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah true - people take any facts and fit them to their world view. Same with the Norwegian killings, it was either proof that multiculturalism had failed or an argument for more integration. Doesn't mean that you should give up trying to make as much sense as possible of things though, you've just got to try and be aware of your own prejudices although that's very difficult.

luka

but you also have to make decisions about when other people are just wrong in ways which can be destructive

luka

for example a girl that is married to an old workmate was saying on facebook that on the upcoming aus census everyone should say they are christian if they are agnotic or aethesit becasue 1000,000 australians are going to write mulims so we all hav to claim to be christian unless we want them building mosques in our neighbourhood. then started ranting about muslims. or the man at work that was saying the labour party has destroyed the australian economy by introducing a carbon tax and a mining tax and so on, ow unemployemnt is so high and all this other utter bollocks and when i challeneged him said 'well you obviously dont listen to talkback radio' so i verbally beat both of these people up and felt like an intellectual thug but... i dont think i am a bad person for doing so really.

john eden

male pale and stale
It's slightly depressing to see everybody (myself included) interpreting the whole thing as conclusive proof that they were right all along, regardless of what those underlying opinions were. .

I think you're right but people rarely have a radical change of view overnight. I think when people look back on 2011 they will find that their ideas have changed subtly, if they are honest and can remember. :)

I've personally been surprised how quickly some people who I thought were OK are to leap in with judgements and call for the army or capital punishment or whatever. Perhaps because they've always felt like that but haven't felt comfortable about expressing it in my company. I suppose those ideas can be challenged now they are out in the open.