salute tottenham

I've personally been surprised how quickly some people who I thought were OK are to leap in with judgements and call for the army or capital punishment or whatever.

Yes, it's been a confounding week. I came back from Berlin on Sunday, having just visited the Topography of Terror exhibition at the old SS HQ near Checkpoint Charlie. The switch from free-wheeling Weimar times to hounding Jews and hanging peasants appeared to take no time at all and there were a lot of laughs along the way for the people doing the hounding and hanging.

So, watching the #londonriots tweets on Monday night was mindblowing - about 99% of tweets were calls for the army, live rounds, send them back, crush them, kill them all etc. So much and so uniform in sentiment that I was beginning to wonder if I have some sort of mental disorder that prevents me tuning in to the moronosphere. Dissensus is a great antidote, as is listening to utter kneejerk fucktardery on LBC.

john eden

male pale and stale
@vimothy:

It seems like Simon Israel, a reporter for Channel 4 claimed last week that the Met told him initially that there was "an exchange of fire" with Mark Duggan.

I haven't seen this myself, but it was mentioned by people who were watching Channel 4 news at the time.

Obviously that's a bit vague, but it's relevant to what we were discussing here.

IdleRich

IdleRich
re that Manchester thing - those cunts won't ride their bikes around that street any more!
OK, who knows the background to that but surely when the guy gets off his bike and surrenders (17 seconds in) there is no excuse whatsoever for clubbing him and beating him up.

luka

part of the background presumably is people saying beat the bastards, send in the troops, maximum punishment, water cannon etc
would give you a certain license, a pep in your step, i would hav thought, if youre a policeman with a cudgel and a helmet.

john eden

male pale and stale
part of the background presumably is people saying beat the bastards, send in the troops, maximum punishment, water cannon etc
would give you a certain license, a pep in your step, i would hav thought, if youre a policeman with a cudgel and a helmet.

yes indeed. There's also been a few politicians and commentators saying the police "felt they had their hands tied" because of all the furore about the policing of the G20 protests (when they killed someone for walking home) and the Stephen Lawrence case (where they failed to convict racist killers because of either incompetence or corruption or institutional racism or all three).

FairiesWearBoots

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Boris has got no answers for this man,

Liveleak is great for the most recent 'citizen journalism' but it is a US site and there a LOT of crazy right-wingers on there (in the comments sections)

luka

ironic that what started as a protest against the police killing someone (and police brutality generally) becomes a license for far greater brutality, all with public backing. people i know who attend evry protest going in london all on facebook saying bring out the plastic bullets and the water cannon like those same things wont get used on thm nect time one of their 'nice' dmonstrations gets a little feisty and an 'anachist' or two breaks a window.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
It's all right now though guys, let's all just have a cup of tea and wait for the poor people to fuck off. #OperationCupOfTea

luka

the scum are always the scum. the scum are always with us. the scum of today are the same as the scum of yesterday. the scum of your country are the same as the scum of my country. they are all the same. they will always be with us. the scum must be suppressed. the scum must be lied to. the scum must be threatened. the scum must be made to beg. the scum must grovel.
the scum may be granted concessions but it must be made absolutely clear, these are not rights, but only concessions made subject to good behaviour. in the event of disobdience, revoke all privleges immediately.

hucks

Your Message Here
this is good
http://maptube.org/map.aspx?m=ol&s=...e/misc/londonriots_verified_20110809_1514.kml
areas of 'social deprivation overlaid' with trouble spots

Yeah, surely no surprise to anyone that the red areas are the areas with the flashpoints?

What's interesting to me in that all the fiery wigwams are at the edge of the darkest red areas, not in the middle of them. That makes sense, cos the darkest areas are presumably totally residential, estates and what have you. Whereas the riots took place in commercial areas nearby.

So if it was people from the very poorest areas involved (big if) it was kind of outward looking, not "trashing their own community" necessarily. On first reading etc more research is needed etc etc

Also relatively little in Tower Hamlets and Newham compared to their levels of deprivation.

petergunn

plywood violin
but the point is that while not life or death, the desire for new sneaks is not nearly as frivolous as it seems in the context.

as a side note to this, i just read 5 minutes ago that 1972 was the first year that color TV's outsold Black and White TV's in the US (and the first year that the amount of color tv's outnumbered the amount of B&W ones)

all 3 networks had been broadcasting color since 1966, the same year color tv's began to be semi-affortable (250 dollars)...

can you imagine people waiting 6 years to buy a new piece of technology now?

zhao

there are no accidents
if at all possible, use entrepreneurial superempowerment.

the scum are always the scum. the scum are always with us. the scum of today are the same as the scum of yesterday. the scum of your country are the same as the scum of my country. they are all the same. they will always be with us. the scum must be suppressed. the scum must be lied to. the scum must be threatened. the scum must be made to beg. the scum must grovel.
the scum may be granted concessions but it must be made absolutely clear, these are not rights, but only concessions made subject to good behaviour. in the event of disobdience, revoke all privleges immediately.

what the fuck does this shit mean? i saw it on facebook just a few minutes ago. (oh wait was that you posting it?)

Youd've liked the article about the people sweeping up shops today in the Times today. The first paragraph was 'defiant middle class people'. Oh well, at least they didnt say white.

sufi

lala
zczD0.png