What is the worst thing you've heard this year?

benw

I can't even grasp this new "trap" stuff, is it just brostep producers moving their snares to the end of the bar? Atrocious...

lol. moving the snare a few beats does not hip hop make. fucking 'trap'. brostep masquerading behind a few more EDM noises and 'that' trapaholics sample.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
'trap' without rapping doesn't really appeal to me - i've tried listening to lex luger instrumentals before and its alright, but i miss the rapping. what would those zaytoven beats be without gucci mane playing off them? wouldn't shawty redd beats be boring, or lack something, without jeezy's enunci-shouting over them? rappers give those beats vitality, contrast, personality and - importantly - context. its an interesting question - e.g. are the elements that make up a lex luger track effective in of themselves or do they depend on the social context that they arose from, as represented by a rapper like waka or even (fake or not) rick ross?

i've been in that position in the past where i've bemoaned mcs (and of course there are many shit ones) but i've come to see the call to strip black music of voices, esp. music that was MADE FOR voices, as somehow suspect (and not necessarily racially so). i guess i view everything through that energy flash prism.

anyway, i have in the past said that 'trap' music should inspire uk producers so i'm cringing at myself now. but then - look at jungle, which was inspired by hip hop but was certainy no rote replication of it, but rather a transformative technical mutation of that original blueprint? i'm not into white suburban guys wearing bandanas on their face or whatever, i can only see that being a flash in the pan.

i mean apart from anything else, ''trap'' is surely on the verge of dying a death within rap music! its ubiquitous, yes, but that very fact makes me suspect that it will lose its influence soon, become utterly exhausted.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Re stripping back, a lot of these beats don't sound like they're made to be played as instrumentals, the arrangements simply don't do enough. A vocal can make the most minimal of beat feel like its progressing.

rubberdingyrapids

if trap means rap music will move on to something else, i wouldnt mind at all. but i dont think lex luger or anyone else is that bothered by these tracks - theyre so self consciously faddish and gimmicky i dont think anyone sees it as sticking around for that long. even the tnght thing, thats just a little side project for those two i think. all reminds me a bit of grime and how butterz have made a virtually mc-less side of it so succesful. not that i see butterz-type grime as anywhere the same, but much as i loved the instrumentals back in the mid-00s, grime without mcs can be pretty empty.

CrowleyHead

You guys forget the dangers of Rap Money/EDM Money to the average producer on my end. Yes, Araabmuzik already subdued his sound, but more importantly than the loss of any NYC producer (because losing someone like Araab, who's only producing for washed up NYC Icons, ASAP Rocky & Vado at this point, isn't that bad a blow for the current rap climate), but rather losing people like Sonny Digital, Fki or KE On The Track, guys who have made powerful crossover trap/commercial tunes to make this genre so viable, to "TRAP" has been a very bitter pill to swallow. Hearing Lex Luger start to utilize the 'brutal electro' plugins on his beats for the "I'm Up" mixtape for Gucci was already a little unnerving (even though his beats for Gucci were still x10 better than the generic filler beats Mike Will threw his way on that tape. Vice Versa for "Trap Back", but hey.)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
An interesting/iconoclastic twist on this thread would be most overrated thing you've heard this year, no?

In rap music, mine would be ''Mercy'' by Kanye and G.O.O.D. music, though I'm STILL hesitant to say this cos so many of my favourite rap bloggers have put it up in their top fives. And dance music wise (bearing in mind I haven't been listening to much or clubbing to much this year) would be 'Au Sevre' by Julio Bashmore, which seems strikingly mediocre to me, and a perfect example of a boring, inferior retread of established house styles by a UK producer somehow getting loads of props for beefing up the bassline a bit.

e/y

There's this remix of Mercy that I heard in this Dro Carey mix (which is also one of my favourite/most-listened to mixes from this year) that I really like:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rJPF4knZCDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fairly nonplussed about the original version, though.

Over-rated for me...Death Grips? Wrt to dance music, the Jimmy Edgar album got a fair amount of praise but I thought it was pretty crap (like most recent things on Hotflush).

datwun

I don't really get the trap hate and I don't really get the brostep comparison. I mean, brostep's all in the midrange, it's electronic music for people who grew up on distorted guitars. Trap is all sub bass, proper cavernous shit, and I really love those high hat trills!

I get that the aesthetic around it's a bit wack but really I mean whatever. Love both the Nicki Minaj/ Young Money side and the better of the internet trapsters.

I see 0% brostep in this:

EDIT: That said I now see on my facebook that a brostep DJ I vaguely know has up and switched to trap... I don't get it!

Last edited:

wivvhoom

Scuba's "Personality" was clearly the worst thing to come out this year.

Jon Convex's Idoru was also quite bad.

And though far from the worst, Shed's LP was also disappointing

2012 not a good year for (dance) music, many things which still sounded a bit exciting a few years ago got unimaginatively recycled and churned out in bucketloads, hype was smeared all over the shop in an even more obnoxious fashion than usual which cemented a strong sense of cynicism that music, like many other things, runs off mutual back-slapping cronyism. or that's how it seemed to me anyway

SecondLine

jimitheexploder

And though far from the worst, Shed's LP was also disappointing

Shed when he's being Shed rather than his million other alias' is so boring its unreal. He's always been a bit shit as Shed for me. EQD, WAX, Head High all pretty much essential, love it. Shed not so much. No idea why, I'm still trying to work it out.

rubberdingyrapids

that joy orb ellipsis song from this year is pretty much everything i hate about uk bass from the mawkish producer interview sample, the shit wimpinness and inspidity of it, to the general dreary blandness that just doesnt let up. jon convexs idoru was a bit pointless, even though i tried to like it, and cooly g wins the award for worst singing on a dance music album - sounded like someone who cant sing at all but still in love with themselves. basically she was trying a bit too hard to sound sexy/dreamy etc.

frank ocean is also really overrated - the 'im gay... sort of/actually i just fancied a guy once' was marketing genius but the album was a bit inoffensive after all that. miguel is a lot more exciting and dynamic.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Actually, I take it back, the worst thing I've heard all year is the fake Marvin Gaye style hiccuping noises Miguel does on "Adorn"