What is the worst thing you've heard this year?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
LOL

Still, ''Adorn'' was one of the best things of the year for me (the 2 minute video clip version, though, was perfect at that length).

Yeah that ''Ellipsis'' tune getting hyped was the latest in a long line of bemusingly hyped tunes for me - ''Sicko Cell'' e.g.

Elijah

Butterz
Them DJ sets were you hear party bangers for the first half mixed with a few uk bass hits from the last 2 years, sia little man wookie remix then old grime for the last 20 mins.

Most Wiley music, including the lazy Step series.

Trap remixes of classic songs

People changing their back stories from a few years ago. First they grew up listening to Garage then got into Grime and Dubstep now 'ive always been into house and techno'.

Dungeon dubstep

Most 'live' sets in clubs.

People remaking old Grime records

Dot Rotten

90s R&B edits. In my opinion it just highlights how great the original producers and vocalists are. How comes not many of this eras producers can even attempt to make stuff like this.

Youtube freestyles. F64s, 'Cyphers' all that guff.

continuum

smugpolice
Them DJ sets were you hear party bangers for the first half mixed with a few uk bass hits from the last 2 years, sia little man wookie remix then old grime for the last 20 mins.

Agreed. So boring. Would rather hear the DJ play the latest Pop music instead.

Most Wiley music, including the lazy Step series.

I've listened to most of them a couple of times. More mixtape tracks rather than fully formed songs. Some good lyrics in there though.

Trap remixes of classic songs

Cloud Rap is better for me than Trap.

People changing their back stories from a few years ago. First they grew up listening to Garage then got into Grime and Dubstep now 'ive always been into house and techno'.

Is this video representative of the sort of people and the new House scene in London?
Youtube freestyles. F64s, 'Cyphers' all that guff.

Yep. So much turd.

datwun

I know of one major UK bass producer who in interviews and bios is refereed to as 'Londoner' or 'London native' when he's in fact from Aylesbury, and in interviews he talks about growing up listening to jungle, hip hop and drum and bass, when my friend was in fact given a Warp and IDM mixtape by him back in year 10 :D

Elijah

Butterz
yeah agree with most of Elijah's sends, but thought a lot of the Step freestyles were pretty decent..

Yea but considering they represented his 'grime contribution' for the year its by no means near any classic Wiley.

Why you would not give some of those beats proper songs is beyond me. Its a par to all the producers and the genre in my opinion. Throwaway music

rubberdingyrapids

tbh, wiley still doesnt seem all that good at 'songs' unless hes aiming them at the pop charts, in which case he makes more effort (regardless of what theyre like). ive heard all his recent albums and id prefer listening to the step tracks than most of those proper albums. theyre a bit boring. something about wiley gets a bit boring when he has to make effort. its like that very process makes him bored. unless he thinks there might be a top ten hit in it.

I really liked the Step freestyles, I think that's Wiley's best approach personally- just spraying. I think most grime mixtapes should have been like this over the years- fuck choruses, just bars.

Otherwise Elijah's list is pretty much everything that's wrong with everything and very succinct.

Also the amount of interesting producers who've gone the generic house route this year is really depressing. Too many to list really but at least you know who's in it for the music and who's chasing the money now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Money chasing going on for sure but probably a lot of these producers have just been exposed to more generic house this year, generic house being the in thing at the moment and all.

CrowleyHead

Not to over simplify this or anything, but isn't the UK continuum based on "younger movement built out of genre (brostep) chases away founding elements (the people running off and making trad house) to safer and greener pastures for reflection and relaxation" and that sort of thing?

The biggest crime is Loefah's new haircut, but you can't really HEAR that.

tom lea

couldn't disagree more on the wiley stuff elijah. do nightbus dubplate or crash bandicoot or sorry sorry pardon what or not count as proper songs either? i'd rather just hear wiley murder beats all day - it's not like choruses have ever been his strength.

Elijah

Butterz
couldn't disagree more on the wiley stuff elijah. do nightbus dubplate or crash bandicoot or sorry sorry pardon what or not count as proper songs either? i'd rather just hear wiley murder beats all day - it's not like choruses have ever been his strength.

Yea good counter point. Still don't think them Step freestyles would ever be considered anywhere near his best work. I guess 'From The Drop' from 2011 is a good recent example of that, I'd say I like that more than any of the Steps.

Nightbus has a theme though. Amazing war dub. Prob the best thing he has ever done.

Wiley is the MC that has suffered most from Maniac being locked up in my opinion.

Webstarr

There's one particular warm up set I remember from a few months back which was exactly this. I don't have an issue with people mixing it with different styles but a lot of these sets sound extremely incoherent. It also annoys me that it's always the same obvious tracks which they've probably downloaded from somewhere. Anyone can play classics.

Elijah

Butterz
Wookie, maybe a Sticky, old Wiley tune prob Eskimo or Ice Rink, I Luv U, Rhythm & Gash, Pulse X an old Ruff Squad tune and done.

I remember hearing exactly that like 5 years ago all the time and it kinda inspired me to take DJing seriously really, so can't hate :cool:

wise

bare BARE BONES

Last time I saw Wookie that was his set pretty much, dull as