What is the worst thing you've heard this year?

Leo

yeah Loefah's been committing some abominable hair crimes for a few years now..

artistprofile_loefah2.jpg

can't imagine what you mean...

rubberdingyrapids

not the 'worst' but i have come home to find 'house party' on channel 4 which sounds alright right now but is just weird as there are no audience members. quite odd. im sure they could have done a live club event and filmed it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
for me it's wiley, skepta and jme's 'can you hear me'. not just because of the fact that they're so keen to waste their talent on shit like this, but also because it's an archetype of everything i hate about the current dominant pop sound.

pop today, post-guetta, is all 'wahheyyyy we're having an AMAZING time!!!!!!'. it's so forced and relentless and desperate. it's like the musical equivalent of those people that go around with holsters dispensing shots of jagermeister at shit clubs.

oh yeah I think they play this in my gym. It's dire. Almost as bad as the Rizzle Kicks tune that also gets played in my gym, but not AS dire because its not UK Hip-Hop.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
'
anyway, i have in the past said that 'trap' music should inspire uk producers so i'm cringing at myself now. but then - look at jungle, which was inspired by hip hop but was certainy no rote replication of it, but rather a transformative technical mutation of that original blueprint? i'm not into white suburban guys wearing bandanas on their face or whatever, i can only see that being a flash in the pan.

Jackin', maybe?

TIM F:

I suspect jackin’s strong affinity for current rap - never more obvious than here - stems in part from it sharing a similar relation to the constant evolution of the house beat as rap does to its own endless reinvention of rhythm (mannie fresh to lil’ jon to lex luger to mike will, and so on); it’s an affinity of spirit rather than strict sound that makes jackin much more interesting and compulsive (from any perspective you care to name) than dance producers making “trap” ever could be. And so it’s hardly surprising that when “Snapbacks N Tattoos” suddenly veers into its own pseudo-trap breakdown the result manages to surpass even the original’s superlative production.

continuum

smugpolice
for me it's wiley, skepta and jme's 'can you hear me'. not just because of the fact that they're so keen to waste their talent on shit like this, but also because it's an archetype of everything i hate about the current dominant pop sound.

pop today, post-guetta, is all 'wahheyyyy we're having an AMAZING time!!!!!!'. it's so forced and relentless and desperate. it's like the musical equivalent of those people that go around with holsters dispensing shots of jagermeister at shit clubs.

I like the fact that Wiley is finally getting somewhere in terms of a global audience for his talent. The songs aren't going to be as exciting as when he was throwing ridiculous curve balls at the Grime scene or discovering and mentoring Dizzee Rascal etc. His latest Pop effort guesting on the new Conor Maynard single is sure to expand his fan base further:

Local Authority

bitch city
Only heard the Conor Maynard part of that song and thought the beat was suspiciously nuum indebted. Would of been better as just a straight Wiley song tbh.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
That Thamys one is truly bad. Here's a similar one my girlf put me onto a coupla months back. You probably know it, going by the viewing figures:
Here is something my friend was telling me about yesterday that he saw at Womad & made him want to stick needles in his ears. So wrong I almost want to go & see it. Not exactly a totally new fusion (hip hop & opera), more one that you would have thought people would have got over the need to attempt by now!: http://womad.co.uk/lineup/timetable/artist/4271/lorchestra-di-piazza-vittorio-il-flauto-magico/

Last edited:

Roshman

That Thamys one is truly bad. Here's a similar one my girlf put me onto a coupla months back. You probably know it, going by the viewing figures:
Here is something my friend was telling me about yesterday that he saw at Womad & made him want to stick needles in his ears. So wrong I almost want to go & see it. Not exactly a totally new fusion (hip hop & opera), more one that you would have thought people would have got over the need to attempt by now!: http://womad.co.uk/lineup/timetable/artist/4271/lorchestra-di-piazza-vittorio-il-flauto-magico/

even just a little bit of delay and reverb on the vocals would have made it 3x more bearable.

trza

Asian Girlz by Day Above Ground will probably be in the end of the year round ups of worst music.

tomfun

I think this is about as good as a signal as to where trap is now (well this and the /r/trap subreddit where people ask questions like "where can i find trap without lasers?" and "what is the deal with this new 100bpm trap?")

I am interested to see what rises from the ashes of the horrible us festival trap circuit.

CrowleyHead

I hadn't realized how dire the situation is until I saw the band... They're like if Raging Speedhorn evolved into a Adult Contemporary Band in America.