Best of 2014

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Late entry for best of 2014 for me

Vybz Kartel
Conjugal Visit:
Someday I hope I meet a special lady who I can fuck like I own her.

glasshand

dj panic attack
deep tech top 3

1) trixz - cry for you

mad samples and grimey space age noises flying off everywhere, melody is pure emotion

2) rs4 - walking on

that off-kilter riff does a lot for me

3) leon renner - wait for you (anthony ranz mix)

love how the drums are quite minimal and the rhythm is driven by that lazy synth flow. sounded absolutely ridiculous in that set with ggb truce frost etc, total highlight

other bangers:

storm - back in touch
mr and mrs smith - girls do lines
mr and mrs smith - fate
carnao beats - bass switch
majesty - the one
limit'less - forget about fame
hugo massien - string tek
ghost house banton - shadows

post-uk-bass top 3

there has been a load of crashy drum-track stuff floating about for the last couple years, basically coming from the same uk & west europe producers who ditched uk bass/post-dubstep for more party banging NJ influenced beats. u could say it was mainly since night slugs switched up their sound a couple years ago with the club constructions releases, but i think it's been more down to neana's very sudden rise, and ppl drifting that way by themselves. i seen a couple ppl making scathing jokes about drum track bandwagons on twitter, but fuck the haters i love the stuff.

1) qween beat ft mike q - she wants

interesting to see how similar ballroom tracks inspired by NY tribal house sound to uk funky inspired in part by tribal house/balearic and broken beat in london. this track is filthy

2) ctrl traxxx - lounge suite

tribal work out with a dose of smashing sounds, only in clip form on soundcloud. actually one of my most-listened to for the year tho

3) kid antoine - and uh

nice weird sample and jackin analogue (possibly funky-inspired) drums.

also:

neana (everything he's made)
sudanim - midrift
nunu - this is how
lemonick - corolla knob

other than that i've been feeling an assortment of rap and vaporwavey type stuff, but now that i go thru it there's not that much to mention as truly standout. along those lines DYNOO - these flaws... (mixtape) was good and chief keef - back from the dead 2 has been on repeat.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
https://dirtnapredux.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/nifty-fifty/

My idea this year is to do a list of things I've been listening to a lot, regardless of year of release. Things that have struck me as being brilliant, or have accompanied me on travels, alongside plenty of 2014 newbies. Unfortunately I've only compiled a rough list so far without any accompanying explanations (actually that might be fortunate!), also haven't honed it down to Fifty but yeah this is a big list of things I have liked and/or loved.

NATO

deep tech top 3

post-uk-bass top 3

there has been a load of crashy drum-track stuff floating about for the last couple years, basically coming from the same uk & west europe producers who ditched uk bass/post-dubstep for more party banging NJ influenced beats. u could say it was mainly since night slugs switched up their sound a couple years ago with the club constructions releases, but i think it's been more down to neana's very sudden rise, and ppl drifting that way by themselves. i seen a couple ppl making scathing jokes about drum track bandwagons on twitter, but fuck the haters i love the stuff.

1) qween beat ft mike q - she wants

interesting to see how similar ballroom tracks inspired by NY tribal house sound to uk funky inspired in part by tribal house/balearic and broken beat in london. this track is filthy

2) ctrl traxxx - lounge suite

tribal work out with a dose of smashing sounds, only in clip form on soundcloud. actually one of my most-listened to for the year tho

3) kid antoine - and uh

nice weird sample and jackin analogue (possibly funky-inspired) drums.

also:

neana (everything he's made)
sudanim - midrift
nunu - this is how
lemonick - corolla knob

Well said. Nobody on here is talking about this (which is painfully unsurprising) but some great music is coming out of this sound. And it's not just drum workouts, plenty of bright and melodic tracks are being made in the style. I do feel some copyists about, but that's what everyone says when something simply comes a bit more popular. It seems pretty fertile anyway, and there's some interpla with the current grime stuff too (also almost completely ignored by dissensus - yawn).

luka

Dubstep people still floundering around looking for an identity. Something to latch onto. Anything will do
They are a species of hermit crab

luka

The dubstep diaspora. Let's get into funky, footwork, techno, grime, house, hermit crab people looking for a home to crawl into. Enough production skills to make a passable imitation of just about anything but no ideas and no conviction

luka

Almost a decade of floundering. Releasing something on vinyl and getting a fairly good review from joe mugs.

glasshand

dj panic attack
maybe it's a bit of a pointless exercise to respond to these gassy comments, but i suspect luka u've just jumped on the bit where i said 'uk bass' and not read the rest of the post nor listened to any of the tracks i mentioned? those kinda blanket statements u've just made sound perfectly passable until u try to get a bit more specific to prove them.

i actually think the dubstep hermit crabs have gone their separate ways now. some of what i wud see as artists part of the dubstep/uk bass thing have thrown their lot in with techno (untold, hessle) some with house (loefah, swamp 81, numbers) and some maybe with grime (slackk?? struggling to think of this one?). yeh i don't have a lot of time for the untold/hessle/oneman/jackmaster/swamp 81s of the world, all seems a bit fickle. but i wasn't talking about this crowd, i was referring to newer producers.

guys like neana, being about 19-20 now, were too young to be part of the 'uk bass'/post-dubstep thing, which was goin on mostly what 2008/9 onwards? that's roughly the age of a lot of the producers i've been checkin in this scene. they more likely started off listening to the output of hyperdub, night slugs, hessle, scratcha dva, ikonika, "post-dubstep" labels/artists rather than making that kinda music. now i hear similarities and certain styles coalescing that i think do have some serious 'conviction' behind them and solid ideas. the aesthetic fits nicely with the vaporwavey bits out there and like NATO says there's crossover with the new grime stuff (which i'm not as into tbh) and these tracks/artists are all getting play at nights like boxed.

it's definitely not anywhere near as exciting as eg deep tech from a raving or cultural movement perspective, cuz there aren't many nights out there and these guys are pretty much caught up in the hype machine & touring student cities for bookings. but the tunes are right up my street and i don't think these artists have got that same fickleness about them

Last edited:

glasshand

dj panic attack
reading back thru my other post i did call them "basically the same uk & west europe producers who ditched uk bass/post-dubstep for more party banging NJ influenced beats".. consider that first bit a use of shorthand and now i'm clarifying

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Late entry for best of 2014 for me

Vybz Kartel
Conjugal Visit:
Someday I hope I meet a special lady who I can fuck like I own her.

Spice is absolutely amazing I think, thanks for pointing this one out, didn't come across it. She has this song called Jim Screechie which I have been rinsing last summer.

While on the subject. Is there any place for a best of dancehall 2014 or the year in review for dancehall?

CrowleyHead

I remember Neana trying to make Funky mixes of PAUG tunes for the Night Slugs crew about 4-5 years ago, and now she's doing Jersey Club tributes to other decade old grime records.

So now it seems all post-dubstep entities do is go through new rhythmic trends (usually American) while parsing the same big melodic ideas done by grime people decades before.

Unless you're doing this deep tech stuff and trying to be unhip and boring as hell.

luka

I remember Neana trying to make Funky mixes of PAUG tunes for the Night Slugs crew about 4-5 years ago, and now she's doing Jersey Club tributes to other decade old grime records.

lool, time to get a real job if thats the case

luka

vice, nightslugs, that lad prancehall back in the days.... a lot of bad things happened in this country and we havent properly recovered yet