Best of 2014

glasshand

dj panic attack
I remember Neana trying to make Funky mixes of PAUG tunes for the Night Slugs crew about 4-5 years ago, and now she's doing Jersey Club tributes to other decade old grime records.

So now it seems all post-dubstep entities do is go through new rhythmic trends (usually American) while parsing the same big melodic ideas done by grime people decades before.

Unless you're doing this deep tech stuff and trying to be unhip and boring as hell.

so confused by this. u sound like u got no idea what ur talking about?

is the 'she' a typo? cuz neana's a dude. sounds like u may have got the wrong neana cuz he was getting NO play as far as i know 4-5 yrs ago, probably wasn't even makin music then. i first saw him on soundcloud with a handful of followers in 2012.

he's not doing jersey club "tributes" to old grime tracks, where did you get that from?

he made one track called bow kat which sampled rhythm n gash and also sampled MAW's ha track which is predominantly associated with ballroom, not jersey. he made a couple edits of early dizzee tracks, but those were in a style that didn't have anything to do with NJ. none of these could be considered a "tribute".

who are these post-dubstep "entities" now? name and shame or ur just extrapolating an idea from what im guessing was a mistaken identity anyway.

what is that deep tech comment about? none of the dubstep/uk bass crew are producing deep tech. u cud count pinch and brackles as being interested in/following it and playin some of the tracks at best. even so, surely u wud accuse former dubstep/uk bass crew of bandwagoning or trying to be "hip" if they were jumping ship en masse for deep tech.

if u think deep tech is boring then fine, but it kinda sounds like ur trying to pit UK vs US rhythms as if there are any such things, like as in NJ rhythm=America=interesting & worth stealing vs deep tech rhythm=UK=boring

CrowleyHead

Got Neana confused with someone else from Night Slugs, that's on me.

"It's not Jersey Club, it's from the ballroom sound" that's fine and good but more importantly it's not displacing the insult I had there, which is that its taking ideas from an American sound to spruce up songs from A DECADE AGO and make it seem like the alternating dance scene has "progressed" to the boring mainstream.

Then again the alternative is as generic a waste of time as Deep Tech, so I guess you nerds really do have to suckle at America's teat. But you guys don't deserve it, you made something like Clean Bandit and unleashed that on all mankind, so you should probably sit in a collective corner and think about what you've done.

NATO

i think there is an element of what your talking about present Crowley. In fact, it took me a long time to warm back up to any night slugs stuff post-funky - even at the start of the year I was incredibly lukewarm to it. What happened is I had some good club nights out to it and felt a lot of the tunes work nicely on systems. I'm still not totally comfortable with mining US-dance scenes for inspiration, but I'm hearing some music that fires me up. Anyway, it's not really about night slugs - their shit is one of the less essential parts of the overlapping sounds which are springing forth some good music atm.

It could be a context thing. I live in Shanghai and any form of electronic music (except for maybe dull house) is marginal here - there's no over-saturation, quite the opposite in fact. This year we've had some DJs and producers come over and play related sounds to packed crowds in this city's best and dingiest club. It's been exciting to witness.

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
you made something like Clean Bandit and unleashed that on all mankind, so you should probably sit in a collective corner and think about what you've done.

this is probably my favourite music review of 2014. ur totally right on the US vs deep tech solution thing too...

in other news I actually had the pleasure of DJing for clean bandit between sets at their first gig back in 2007 / 2008 whilst completely off my nut. definitely played no qualms and night by benga & coki so that dates it about right...great fun...:rolleyes:

rubberdingyrapids

its ok to mine american sounds. its what british people have done since forever.
i used to be lukewarm on nightslugs, but i heard bankhead, helix's drum track stuff and silo pass, and changed my mind. obv i liked lil silvas tracks on the label but apart from that i didnt have much time for them. used to think they were just style assimilators and nothing else but dont mind them now. but thats prob just cos there isnt a new uk funky i can say is superior to what they do.

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
here are some bits from me for a start to a best of dancehall thread for 2014. vybz kartel (aka addi innocent since he got the murder charge) and everyone's favourite eyeball tatted alkaline have both had an unbelievably productive year...

Alkaline - Holiday Again (love this. first ecstasy reference that i've heard in a dancehall song too, is that something new in Jamaica?)
Alkaline - Lonely
Alkaline - Things Mi Love
Alkaline - Inna Yuh Belly
Alkaline - Things Take Time
Alkaline - Fuck Up
Alkaline - Gyal Bruk Out
Spice - How Mi Like It
Alkaline - How It Feel (love this too. the nasally autotune bit's irresistible)
Mavado - Ben Ova
Vybz Kartel (aka Addi Innocent) - Crashing Head On (amazing pop hook on the chorus of this. lots of catchy tunes from him this year actually...)
Vybz Kartel ft. Toian - Ice Queen
Vybz Kartel - Have A Little More
Vybz Kartel - My Love My Love
Vybz Kartel - Love So 2015
Vybz Kartel - Miami Vice Episode
Versatile - Bring The Pussy Come (Katy Perry cover)
Popcaan - Unruly Party
Popcaan - Everything Nice
Popcaan - Give Thanks (this whole album was great actually)
Demarco - Good Book
Aidonia - Wuk Off You Gal
Chronixx ft. Protoje - Who Knows
Demarco - Loyal (Lorde cover)
Busy Signal - Well Prepared (another Lorde cover, which is funny as she said that she hated reggae this year too as it "all sounded the same" or something. sigh...)
Spice - Like A Man
Spice - Me Nuh Boring
Gage - Send Mi
Gage - Kitty Kat
Gage - Throat
Mr Vegas - Pop One
Kranium - Nobody Haffi Know
Alkaline - Love Doctor
Konshens - Touch You (filthy track. the whole punjabi riddim is amazing)
Mavado - Diamond Look
Popcaan - Tie Mi
Tommy Lee Sparta - Whine Up
Mavado & 3 Star - Do It Again
Mavado - Hotta Than Bread
Mavado - Nah Do A Ting
Bobby Shmurda ft. Jah X, Junior Reid, Mavado & Popcaan - Hot Nigga [Reggae Mix]

by no means conclusive...but yeah, do feel free to add to!

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
here are some bits from me for a start to a best of dancehall thread for 2014. vybz kartel (aka addi innocent since he got the murder charge) and everyone's favourite eyeball tatted alkaline have both had an unbelievably productive year...

Alkaline - Holiday Again (love this. first ecstasy reference that i've heard in a dancehall song too, is that something new in Jamaica?)
Alkaline - Lonely
Alkaline - Things Mi Love
Alkaline - Inna Yuh Belly
Alkaline - Things Take Time
Alkaline - Fuck Up
Alkaline - Gyal Bruk Out
Spice - How Mi Like It
Alkaline - How It Feel (love this too. the nasally autotune bit's irresistible)
Mavado - Ben Ova
Vybz Kartel (aka Addi Innocent) - Crashing Head On (amazing pop hook on the chorus of this. lots of catchy tunes from him this year actually...)
Vybz Kartel ft. Toian - Ice Queen
Vybz Kartel - Have A Little More
Vybz Kartel - My Love My Love
Vybz Kartel - Love So 2015
Vybz Kartel - Miami Vice Episode
Versatile - Bring The Pussy Come (Katy Perry cover)
Popcaan - Unruly Party
Popcaan - Everything Nice
Popcaan - Give Thanks (this whole album was great actually)
Demarco - Good Book
Aidonia - Wuk Off You Gal
Chronixx ft. Protoje - Who Knows
Demarco - Loyal (Lorde cover)
Busy Signal - Well Prepared (another Lorde cover, which is funny as she said that she hated reggae this year too as it "all sounded the same" or something. sigh...)
Spice - Like A Man
Spice - Me Nuh Boring
Gage - Send Mi
Gage - Kitty Kat
Gage - Throat
Mr Vegas - Pop One
Kranium - Nobody Haffi Know
Alkaline - Love Doctor
Konshens - Touch You (filthy track. the whole punjabi riddim is amazing)
Mavado - Diamond Look
Popcaan - Tie Mi
Tommy Lee Sparta - Whine Up
Mavado & 3 Star - Do It Again
Mavado - Hotta Than Bread
Mavado - Nah Do A Ting
Bobby Shmurda ft. Jah X, Junior Reid, Mavado & Popcaan - Hot Nigga [Reggae Mix]

by no means conclusive...but yeah, do feel free to add to!

Thanks for this! Some good tunes I didn't know about yet but also a lot of overlap of things I rated this year (Popcaan, Vybz, Alkaline). Can't think of anything to add except for QQ which I only discovered this year. "Tip Pon Yuh Toe" is one of his tracks I really like but his hardest banger is prolly "One Drop Ft. Venumous" - would love to hear a tune like this getting played in a packed and sweaty club.

Just noticed that tune is from 2013, oh well.

CrowleyHead

oh yea, absolutely...but it's still a valid point about originality, genius, novelty etc in the UK...the US definitely seems to be leading right now, and that's not always been the case...

Has it ever been a proper hijack like this though? Your nation does a lot better with its own sound. Jungle never could've been made in America, nor could've rave/hardcore, garage (our garage and your garage are million thousand miles away), grime obvz., dubstep, funky... And now everyone's like "Well, they're doing something cool, can't we do something cool?"

NO. Get your own already, you're all incredibly mediocre at it whenever you try. It would be so much easier if there was less self-conscious tribute and following of the rules, and NOT FOR NOTHING, the whole "import the foreign sounds of the states" thing fucks up our ability to have a healthy thriving club scene out of any of these genres. You've already turned juke into something that dance nerds regard as some sort of 'the next drum & bass' which is HORRIFYING.

luka

PEnglish people are not a big homogeneous blob and the people bringing shame on our nation are not the same type of people that made jungle garage grime. They are scenesters with agents and huf hats

luka

Ignore them or abuse them but never listen to their music. It is entirely irrelevant to 'the conversation '

luka

music to match that prissy and overpriced interpretation of 'streetwear' insipid, polite and parasitical. Observer magazine

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
2 far got played at least twice at teklife/hyperdub a few months ago

dont remember hearing any drum n bass though

grave

Eek ft Islam Chipsy - Tufnell Park Dome
Mdou Moctar - Cafe Oto
Sleep - Meredith Festival
UV Race - Corsica Studios
Prag - 208, Perth
Laraaji - St John's Church, Hackney
Fat Freddy's Drop - Scarborough Beach, Perth