Best of 2014

trza

Were there any good compilations last year? Not like reissues of old music but compilations of contemporary music?

trilliam

oh rele? understandable tbf

house was invented in america so if you make it you definitely want to be an american

or something like that

glasshand

dj panic attack
i also get the impression crowleyhead and luka wud rather swim around in their rhetoric than listen to anything tho

neana jacks NJ trademarks for some tunes yeh sure, but there's more to his stuff and the stuff the guys around him are makin than that

here's a couple i like atm, sound great in the mix, nothing distinctly American about them

if they're not ur thing then fine, but don't troll jus cuz u listened to some ramadanman tunes in 2010

trilliam

will check those bits out

ive noticed this jersey club ting over say last 2/3 years and i always been curious as to how it kinda emerged over here in the uk/london

must tie into that ballroom documentary (cant remember the name) or no? would it be narrow minded of me to think the trend started with night slugs? or is it one of those bristol things?

luka

i dont have a bone to pick with deep tech i just dont listen to it. its not the enemy. me and crowley arent a tag team. but yes i enjoy the sound of my own rhetoric obviously. im good at it.

glasshand

dj panic attack
will check those bits out

ive noticed this jersey club ting over say last 2/3 years and i always been curious as to how it kinda emerged over here in the uk/london

must tie into that ballroom documentary (cant remember the name) or no? would it be narrow minded of me to think the trend started with night slugs? or is it one of those bristol things?

i think probably labels like mad decent and trouble & bass (not that i particularly like their output) were around at the same time (maybe 2008-2009?) as night slugs whilst they were all on that "global bass" potentially neocolonial tip hoovering up all regional sounds (uk funky, cumbia, b-more, bassline, juke in no order) and repackaging them for an international internet audience. that's probably the ultimate starting point for the NJ craze cuz i think it probably opened up some people to baltimore and they followed the thread thru to NJ and ballroom. night slugs and co were probably responsible for more people playing bait NJ stuff around 2012-onwards like bring out the katz and prompting the thread on here tho.

i like ballroom but NJ doesn't do a lot for me.

those tunes i posted are the least NJ-inspired ones. i'll repeat what i said earlier that sparked this cuz u mighta missed it - the stuff i've been rating this year aside from deep tech is what's coming from a lil camp of soundcloud + bandcamp producers who probably started off listening to eg night slugs, hyperdub, "uk bass" scratcha dva, rinse etc but are doing their own thing. there's some interaction with actual ballroom+NJ producers and some crossover with vaporwave/experimental producer/djs (eg jacques gaspard biberkopf, Lotic) - i think zhao alluded to this in his vaporwave/special characters thread. polar opposite to deep tech it's essentially shrouded in internet mag & blog overhype but lacking rooted scene or consistent nights.

could make a thread but it may be only me and nato in there

Last edited:

trilliam

i think probably labels like mad decent and trouble & bass (not that i particularly like their output) were around at the same time (maybe 2008-2009?) as night slugs whilst they were all on that "global bass" potentially neocolonial tip hoovering up all regional sounds (uk funky, cumbia, b-more, bassline, juke in no order) and repackaging them for an international internet audience. that's probably the ultimate starting point for the NJ craze cuz i think it probably opened up some people to baltimore and they followed the thread thru to NJ and ballroom. night slugs and co were probably responsible for more people playing bait NJ stuff around 2012-onwards like bring out the katz and prompting the thread on here tho.

i like ballroom but NJ doesn't do a lot for me.

those tunes i posted are the least NJ-inspired ones. i'll repeat what i said earlier that sparked this cuz u mighta missed it - the stuff i've been rating this year aside from deep tech is what's coming from a lil camp of soundcloud + bandcamp producers who probably started off listening to eg night slugs, hyperdub, "uk bass" scratcha dva, rinse etc but are doing their own thing. there's some interaction with actual ballroom+NJ producers and some crossover with vaporwave/experimental producer/djs (eg jacques gaspard biberkopf, Lotic) - i think zhao alluded to this in his vaporwave/special characters thread. polar opposite to deep tech it's essentially shrouded in internet mag & blog overhype but lacking rooted scene or consistent nights.

could make a thread but it may be only me and nato in there

safe for this bro

werent feeling the kingdom bootleg but liked the name of the A-side, checked that and it's alright still, still got the basic 8 bar kinda feel i hear in a lot of NJ ish but with more stuff on top

gonna listen to her (neana) justjam in a sec

glasshand

dj panic attack
yeh that 2nd one is more recent and better by a long way. owes a lot to uk funky, which is also no doubt a product of night slugs originally repping (and problematically repackaging) uk funky in mixes and when they were on sub fm before they got promoted to rinse rather than as a direct influence from OG funky artists.

i wouldn't bother with the justjam tbh, *he got put on there a bit early in the game before he'd really developed a sound so it's choc full of pretty drab techno.

this mixpak one would be more representative of the NJ-robbing and the general flavour. but his own tunes & remixes that stray away from NJ are the highlights for me

https://soundcloud.com/mixpak/neana/s-SFfgV