4.Peter Brötzmann, Hamid Drake, and William Parker - Café OTO

5.Charles Hayward and Anonymous Bash – Café OTO

6.Joe McPhee and Universal Indians - Café OTO

7.Jone Takamaki – Café OTO

8.Morphogenesis - Café OTO

9.Mark Fell – Café OTO

10.Scratch Orchestra “Nature Study Notes” - Café OTO

Worst Gigs 2015

1.Skullflower with surprise guest Andrew King (guitar feedback accompanied by terrible folk singing from a former member of Sol Invictus). Café OTO

2.Chrononautz and Hirvilokari (both were tedious 90s festival rave throwbacks bizarrely chosen by the Quietus to support Sly and The Family Drone who were amazing anyway but truly stellar in comparison to this nonsense). Café OTO

3.Cut Hands (just sounded muddy on the sound system. One man being boring in one way). St Johns Hackney

4.Farmers Manual (mundane arty laptop twiddling which was only enlivened by an exploding strobe light). Café OTO

5.Michael Bisio, John Butcher and Matthew Shipp. (Butcher and Shipp are great but on that night Michael Bisio’s bass did nothing of interest to me or my mates. A duff improv gig, no biggie) Café OTO

6.Nurse With Wound (half a dozen men being boring in half a dozen ways. A few moments of resonant joy, but pants otherwise) St Johns Hackney

Full list here: https://www.songkick.com/users/fadedflyers/gigography

IdleRich

IdleRich
I keep reading about the Floating Points album but when I listened to all the songs online it was incredibly boring.
And there is my entirely negative contribution to this thread.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Worst Gigs 2015
1.Skullflower with surprise guest Andrew King (guitar feedback accompanied by terrible folk singing from a former member of Sol Invictus). Café OTO
2.Chrononautz and Hirvilokari (both were tedious 90s festival rave throwbacks bizarrely chosen by the Quietus to support Sly and The Family Drone who were amazing anyway but truly stellar in comparison to this nonsense). Café OTO
3.Cut Hands (just sounded muddy on the sound system. One man being boring in one way). St Johns Hackney
4.Farmers Manual (mundane arty laptop twiddling which was only enlivened by an exploding strobe light). Café OTO
5.Michael Bisio, John Butcher and Matthew Shipp. (Butcher and Shipp are great but on that night Michael Bisio’s bass did nothing of interest to me or my mates. A duff improv gig, no biggie) Café OTO
6.Nurse With Wound (half a dozen men being boring in half a dozen ways. A few moments of resonant joy, but pants otherwise) St Johns Hackney
Those are the same gig right? I almost went to that cos some friends of mine from out of town were there - but something came up. Reports I hear seem to align with what you're saying though.

rubberdingyrapids

my musical resolution for 2016 is to go to more gigs. worst gig i saw recently was flying lotus at roundhouse, will not get caught out when he advertises a live band again.

luka

He's there every day. He's an extrovert, a networker, a schmoozer, a social butterfly, a scenester

nomos

Administrator
Pop for me. Carly Rae, Kali Uchis, PC Music and I liked the way Jess Glynne took over every track she guested on.

john eden

male pale and stale
Those are the same gig right? I almost went to that cos some friends of mine from out of town were there - but something came up. Reports I hear seem to align with what you're saying though.

Yeah same gig. Faust were good. I think the venue was too big and the soundsystem too small.

Or perhaps I have been spoilt by another venue nearby... ;)

sadmanbarty

Not at all man, thanks for your links too. I was just amazed someone else was listening to that stuff tbh. Trillphonk on youtube is really good for posting up tracks by all of that lot x

Wow, there's a lot more out there than I thought, going through it all should keep me busy for a bit.

Again, I'd recommend Divine Council for something sonically similar and Slug Christ for something culturally similar. You seem to know a lot more of this stuff than me, so you may already be well acquainted with the two.

https://soundcloud.com/divine-council

https://soundcloud.com/slugchrist

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'll update this periodically as I remember stuff and steal other stuff from lists.

RAP
G-Unit - Drug Money (remix of Troy Ave's ''All About the Money'')
Young Thug - Check/Halftime/Pass Me the Lighter/Flaws...
Future - March Madness/Fuck Up Some Commas/Slave Master/Thought It Was A Drought/Blow A Bag
Travis Porter - S.A.Q. MIXTAPE (esp. ''Walked In'' feat. Bankroll Fresh)
Kendrick Lamar - How Much a Dollar Cost/These Walls
Big Sean feat. Chris Brown - Play No Games
Bleezy - Kyrie Irving
Rich Homie Quan - Flex
Rick Ross - Black Dollar MIXTAPE (Money Dance (Feat. The Dream)/Money and Powder/Bel Air)
Rae Sremmurd - Sremmlife LP
Fabolous - Been around the world (Rmx) freestyle
Fetty Wap - My Way/Again/RGF
King Louie - Where I Come From
ASAP Rocky - Pretty Flacko 2
Ty Money - United Centre
Curren$y - More Late Night Car Tunes EP
Chief Keef - Himalayas
Nef The Pharaoh - Big Tymin'
E-40 - Choices
Ty Dolla Sign feat. Future & Rae Sremmurd - Blase

R&B
Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show LP
Usher feat. Juicy J - Don't Mind
Jeremih - Late Nights LP
Honey Cocaine - Sundae
Tinashe feat. Young Thug - Party Favors
T.I. & The Dream - That's My Shit
Teedra Moses feat. Anthony Hamilton - That One
Chris Brown & Tyga - Ayo

DANCE/ELECTRONIC
Acre - Better Strangers LP
Jlin - Dark Energy LP
Kelela - Rewind (the whole EP is probably good but not listened yet)
Martyn - Falling For You EP
Kuedo - Assertion of a Surrounding Presence EP
Levon Vincent - S/T (esp. 'Woman is an Angel')

POP/INDIE/OTHER/NICKED OFF ILX
Laura Groves - Committed Language
Ekkah - Last Chance To Dance
Grimes - Flesh Without Blood
Julia Holter - Feel You

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

4.Peter Brötzmann, Hamid Drake, and William Parker - Café OTO

5.Charles Hayward and Anonymous Bash – Café OTO

The anonymous bash album was one of my faves from last year.

I've seen Brotzmann a couple of times at OTO, one was more standard free jazz, the other was a thrash metal type thing.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Wow, John Eden spends a lot of time at Café OTO!

I think I was at 6 of these gigs (at Oto) and I went a bunch of other times. Such a good venue, such a good programme. Other places do seem shit in comparison. It being so small that you are on top of the bands really helps.

I really liked that John Butcher and Gino Robair gig. I don't have my diary with me so can't recall everything that I went to this year but Baba Commandant absolutely shredded, as did Paul Nilssen-Love. Jason Adasiewicz and Peter Brotzmann was killer as well but that might have been tail end of 2014.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
A clear low point for me would be that fucking guy who played the hurdy-gurdy or whatever the fuck it was for 40 minutes while supporting Bill Orcutt. Thank God I was sitting down so I could have a little sleep.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Non Oto highlights, going from memory anyway:

Boredoms at Barbican - an epic prog rock double LP of a gig
Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufield - incredible multi-tracking sax playing. Amazing.
Thee Oh Sees at the Forum. Bloody noisy garage rock. Cleans the palate after all this weirdy improv nonsense.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually worries me realising how few live musical experiences (including clubs) I've had this year. I'm struggling to think of any, tbh. Definitely need to rectify this in 2016.