Best of 2015/ Thoughts on 2015

luka

just listened to it two times in a row again on youtube scrolling thru the coments so much classist rage makes me like the song even more

rubberdingyrapids

“Are you sick in the face; bang to the jawside. and this one’s like crack cocaine to the nasal, or the airlobe. Hold tight all my Ghanian uncles rocking sandals right now. and it’s real.”

sounds like your typical/slightly irritating and jarring novelist combination of cute whimsy and raw imagery.

on a similar, but much better note, two of the best albums this year (well end of last year really) were from fuse ODG and afrikan boy.

going back to electro chaabi for a sec - this is esp good :

though the description pasted from the quietus below the video could not be more wrong.

Earlier premiered on The Quietus, now also available on our public YouTube-profiel: The Electro-Cha3bi For Avant-Garde Lovers Mixtape. According to The Quietus: "This is Arabic dance music sometimes sounds like Aphex Twin going wild on heavy sugared tea at a wedding party in the popular neighbourhoods of Cairo. Like Leftfield and Gucci Mane got heavily effected by Stockholm syndrome while trapped in Egypt"

nah mate. its nothing like leftfield, gucci mane, or aphex twin. but if it makes a few more people listen to it, then alright. (daddy yankee, davinche, t-pain, MIA and indian wedding music would be closer FWIW).

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

I remarked on this last year but it's still weird to me that this forum spends the whole year discussing normal music then end of year lists are dry as dust wire reader lists. Its so strange.

Cafe OTO's not as busy this time of year; gives them more time to post.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
“Are you sick in the face; bang to the jawside. and this one’s like crack cocaine to the nasal, or the airlobe. Hold tight all my Ghanian uncles rocking sandals right now. and it’s real.”

sounds like your typical/slightly irritating and jarring novelist combination of cute whimsy and raw imagery.

Dunno, depends if you actually listened to the track or not.

rubberdingyrapids

it was alright. i can see it sampled on one of those wen-type records in the future. nah, seriously, i think novelist is cool, he just doesnt have a certain gravitas. he sounds a bit cutesy a lot of the time and a bit self regarding.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
I remarked on this last year but it's still weird to me that this forum spends the whole year discussing normal music then end of year lists are dry as dust wire reader lists. Its so strange.

Well, I'm not a regular poster but I do read The Wire (sometimes), go to Oto a lot (this last year at least) - so would seem weird and self-censoring not to mention these things. It'd seem weird to me to be intensely into music and not to visit Oto when it's on my doorstep. I can understand if someone hates the music there, but I like it. Well, a lot of it.

I'm not that orientated towards more street stuff apart from keeping up with some of the big US tapes. That's why I visit this site, to dip my toes in, so maybe your post is not aimed at me. Listened to my records more than anything else this year. I'll do a top 10 when I get a mo.

EDIT: Just ignore this post. Just trying to defend my taste which like everything else in the UK becomes a class signifier.

Last edited:

Numbers

Saffron - Petra
CFCF - Colours of Life
Rose - Abra
Nidia Minaj - Danger
DJ Paypal - Sold Out

All I listened to this year, was actually the output of 1080p, Principe, PC Music, a lot of (not recent) ambient and some various stuff on Bandcamp (100%Silk, Dream Catalogue).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

Ooh that's dreadful.
There was a massive suicidal ideation in hiphop, I think maybe, has been for ages, still is, but it was externalised into murder. This stuff is just goths, drugs and Koopsta Knicca really, which is great and I like it for that.
Sorry for saying that that Nirvana sample track was awful; I hate it when people do that to me on here when I post something. I respect that you might like it and everything. "I know you're right" would make for a better Nirvana sample track I reckon.

sadmanbarty

Ooh that's dreadful.
There was a massive suicidal ideation in hiphop, I think maybe, has been for ages, still is, but it was externalised into murder. This stuff is just goths, drugs and Koopsta Knicca really, which is great and I like it for that.
Sorry for saying that that Nirvana sample track was awful; I hate it when people do that to me on here when I post something. I respect that you might like it and everything. "I know you're right" would make for a better Nirvana sample track I reckon.

I didn't particularly like the track, just thought it was apt in light of my previous Kurt Cobain comment.

Tupac definitely expressed a subconscious suicidal ideation in his stuff; he talked about his murder as if it was inevitable. It's similar to suicide by cop, except gangsters take the place of the cop.

CrowleyHead

I think a lot of this Trillgoth shit is bad, and I get why its liked but at the same time I don't know why or how there's this much level of investment as this is all stuff that had a two year rise and pop on tumblr and now all the first wave guys who did that style already moved on. But then again, maybe its like how certain 'bands' lived to fill the voids left by other bands who played with a style for only one album or whatever. SpaceGhostPurrp as the Joy Division of internet rap, even though he's only dead career wise.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

My absolute fave song about offing oneself
emoticon-object-086.gif

Leo

we don't bother discussing our non-normal music favs during the year because you just mock it. ;)

trza

it takes a certain kind of personality to say THE STUFF I LISTEN TO IS THE BEST OF THE YEAR LOOK AT MY LIST SEE ITS THE BEST!!!! when guys get past a certain age this kind of thinking gets old.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Anyone been reading the ILX thread about critics end of year lists?

A bunch of music critics moaning that other critics don't share the same consensus as they do.

Warms the cockles it do.