UK EU Referendum Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah all these sort of arguments rest on the assumption that we would do the right thing were it not for Europe but we wouldn't cos we're cunts too

This government is not known for throwing huge sums of cash around willy-nilly, except at very deserving causes like obscenely over-exposed banks and hedge funds. Farmers may be traditional Tory voters but I suspect there are too few of them to worry about in terms of lost votes if this cash were to disappear.

I agree there are probably environmental protection laws that we have the EU to thank for but whatever there is doesn't seem to be having much impact on, say, fracking or plans for a third runway at Heathrow.

luka

No they won't but leaving EU doesn't have any effect on that stuff either so seems a bit academic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a persuasive argument that the neoliberal/antidemocratic tendencies within the EU are reason not to pull out, but to stay in and attempt to reform it.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/23/labour-jeremy-corbyn-pro-eu-referendum-brexit

Which would certainly be brave, dunno how effective it would be with Merkel at the helm in Germany. Hollande might be up for it but he's on shaky ground in terms of popularity in his own country. Although I suppose debates about the EU in both countries are probably being dominated by immigration/refugees at the moment.

droid

And of course the idea that the UK could be take on anti-neo-liberal democracy expanding reforming role is patently absurd.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
lol... I... guess so?

Hey, I'm talking hypothetically here. Very hypothetically. Of course I am aware that the election of a left-wing Labour PM, were it to happen, is not going to magically undo 40 years of Thatcherism any more than the election of a brown-skinned POTUS vanquished racism in the USA.

vimothy

yurp
It's the neoliberal and antidemocratic tendencies that are the reasons for the EU's attractiveness to the British political mainstream.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Right, but what I'm asking is what could be achieved if someone from outside the neoliberal mainstream were to gain power in several of the EU's major economies. ('Outside' meaning 'to the left of', btw.)

Status
Not open for further replies.