luka

reminds me of the tabloid journalists who solemnly tell us what the little people think, despite never having met the street, let alone the man on it.

luka

what time frame? what caused it? where is it going? what does it want? to what extent are the tories obliged to hitch their wagon to that horse? etc etc etc

luka

left wing populism also on the rise. is it the same thing sprung from the same root(causes) or is it different?

luka

are politicians always meekly following the will of the little people? is that what a politician is? whos making the decisions here anyway?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It is interesting, cos the right has colluded with the (mainly) tabloid press in particular to foment this anti-immigration feeling in people, but it's potentially backfired on them in terms of their economic interests. May, like Cameron, was opposed to the Brexit, presumably on the grounds of it being anti-globalisation/free trade, and the British population gave them the message (on the whole) that 'we don't want globalisation/free trade/immigration'.

There's something similar going on in the US with the Fox news network whipping up all this anti-immigration stuff and giving birth to Trump, who has steamrollered all over the Republican establishment.

droid

CuAXJe6WAAAxVVP.jpg:large

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd like to make it known that I thought of the 'pry minister' pun back when Tony Blair was in charge.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It is interesting, cos the right has colluded with the (mainly) tabloid press in particular to foment this anti-immigration feeling in people, but it's potentially backfired on them in terms of their economic interests. May, like Cameron, was opposed to the Brexit, presumably on the grounds of it being anti-globalisation/free trade, and the British population gave them the message (on the whole) that 'we don't want globalisation/free trade/immigration'.

I think it suited the Tories for decades (and Labour latterly as well, though to a lesser extent) to be within the EU but highly critical of it. That way, trade was facilitated, labour flowed where it was needed and big landowners got their subsidies, so it's all good, and at the same time they had the perfect scapegoat, since anything the public didn't like could be blamed on immigration, dastardly Brussels bureaucrats with their occult obsession with banana curvature and the ECHR upholding the rights of convicted child molestors to receive shiatsu massages.

That's why the official Remain campaign was so lacklustre. They couldn't, for example, counter the Leavers' whoppers about the NHS being in the shit because of the "£350m" apparently being sent to Brussels every week, because then people - or at least, the slow-of-thinking people who hadn't figured it out already - might have asked exactly why the NHS was struggling so badly, if our EU membership wasn't to blame.

vimothy

yurp
Luka, I'm not sure I follow you. The growth of populist, anti-globalist sentiment across Europe and the States -- which has given us Brexit, the Trump nomination, far right parties in power across Eastern Europe and increasingly popular even in France and Germany -- can hardly have escaped your notice. It has certainly been noticed by politicians and the media. For example, from the Guardian article I just linked to: "the IMF is terrified because it sees the UK referendum as symptomatic of something deeply dysfunctional about the global economy it has helped to shape in the past four decades". When even the IMF agrees that something must be done about the dysfunctional process of globalisation, you can rest assured that it's become conventional wisdom.

luka

i thought i was being quite clear. i wanted to examine the phenomenen which as i say, is not limited to the right. i asked what time frame you had in mind. after all resistance to globalisation is old news whats new is the politicians willingness to make a rappraochment with that movement (arguably forced on them by the growth of parties like ukip etc)

i asked about the relationship between the refuseniks on left and right. asked some other stuff.

just some simple questions, didnt deny it was happening. im not blind.

vimothy

yurp
To be fair, you didn't exactly contradict what I wrote - I think I just stopped paying attention there and went off on a bit of a rant.

luka

I'm just not convinced that politicians go around pandering to every whim of the electorate

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The weird convergence of Left and Right on some issues (important not to overstate the case) can't be overlooked, I think. Corbyn's lifelong opposition to the EEC/EU and rather late and lukewarm inclusion in the Remain campaign; Seumas Milne's and John Pilger's Kremlin toadying and the hard Left's general hard-on for Russia while Trump, Farage and Le Pen openly admire Putin; and, hot off the press, this millennial former SWJ/Twitter sleb do-gooder who in a few short months has flitted from Bernie Sanders to the Green Party to supporting Trump - because, you know, anyone but Hilary, because she represents TEH EVIL ESTABLISHMUNT!!! - and now draws a paycheque from the Russian state media to boot. Um.

Last edited: