DOOM, or The Official 2016 US Election Thread

luka

“I am betting that tomorrow you will reject fear and you’ll choose hope,” Barack Obama said. “I’m betting that the wisdom and decency and generosity of the American people will once again win the day. And that is a bet that I have never, ever lost.”

luka

Unless you're a cheerleader for neoliberalism and Barty is the only one of those here I.think now crackerjack is gone

sadmanbarty

Like my mate said it could be an alls well that ends well scenario

That's the thing, say if Trump is merely a figurehead (or at least doesn't behave as his rhetoric would suggest he would), you still have the tragedy of the republican's when it comes to climate change, obama care, fiscal policy, iran, etc.

sadmanbarty

Your argument is missing a step. Data like this is not worthless, but it is easy to spin and even easier to misread, since it involves judgement calls all the way (as you can see from the fact that the Guardian attribute it both to poor whites and to rich whites, whereas CNN attribute it to the minority vote). Just take it with a pinch of salt - which is exactly what most commenters in the media failed to do.

Fair enough, I was just trying to make Luka chuckle if I'm being honest. Nate Silver was making a very similar point to this in the last couple of days. 538 was a trump-favourable outlier as far as poll aggregators go.

luka

Fair enough, I was just trying to make Luka chuckle if I'm being honest. Nate Silver was making a very similar point to this in the last couple of days. 538 was a trump-favourable outlier as far as poll aggregators go.

It worked

Leo

That's the thing, say if Trump is merely a figurehead (or at least doesn't behave as his rhetoric would suggest he would), you still have the tragedy of the republican's when it comes to climate change, obama care, fiscal policy, iran, etc.

...or if you care about women's reproductive rights, or LGBT rights, or same-sex marriage, or separation of church and state, or public education funding, etc.

i hope it works out but suspect there will be millions of disillusioned trump voters in a few years when few of his grandiose promises come to fruition. many voters were conned into thinking trump will return high-paying factory jobs to the rust belt, end opiate addiction, protect us from terrorism, etc., but none of that is realistically possible. THEN what do they do?

Last edited:

droid

Interesting speculation as to one reason the polls might have been off.

https://t.co/twkzOZFXvo

If people followed the alt-right groups on Reddit, they would know that young white Americans were told to hide their support of Trump....

Just because folks weren't yelling their support of Trump off the rooftops doesn't mean they didn't have it. They were told to hide it...

firefinga

OTOH the "angry white voter" isn't such a new pehnomenon after all. I am old enough to remember a certain Ross Perot - very similar to Trump, but he didn't usurp one of the big parties like Trump did. If it hadn't been for Perot, Bill Clinton very likely wouldn't have become president in the first place back in '92.

droid

Another possible reason for poll discrepancies. 300,000 refused vote in Wisconsin, margin was 27,000

Cw14f8IWQAA8kFE.jpg

droid

A lot of it comes down to whether Trump actually meant anything he said. He couldn’t have meant all of it; one half of it contradicted the other. Many perceive Trump as a racist misogynistic homophobic thin-skinned sociopathic crook with poor impulse control, but that interpretation assumes a certain level of honesty in the man’s statements (well, except for the crook part). I see something more consistent with operant conditioning: a Pavlovian Trump salivating after applause, randomly trying out various lines until the local audience starts cheering. He was, for example, pro-choice before he started courting the antichoicers—so while he may move to overturn Roe v. Wade he’d probably just do it for shits and giggles and not for ideological reasons. I don’t see much in the way of a coherent ideology at work; I don’t even see much of an agenda, beyond the base instinctive drive of Me Me Me.

http://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=6988

Leo

my wife works at a public university, everyone there is convinced the small-govermnet republicans now in charge will decimate the department of education and cut/eliminate federal grants (which fund the technology program she works on in support of low-income students). good times!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i hope it works out but suspect there will be millions of disillusioned trump voters in a few years when few of his grandiose promises come to fruition. many voters were conned into thinking trump will return high-paying factory jobs to the rust belt, end opiate addiction, protect us from terrorism, etc., but none of that is realistically possible. THEN what do they do?

you've seen The Purge, right? I think the only thing Trump can do to keep those disillusioned supporters onside will be to give them free rein to express their anger and hatred against others...