The Mysterious and Magical World of Webeschatology

sadmanbarty

St. Barts how do you process the sprinkles tune? What happens to you during the interaction? If you I-thou rather than I-it?

the congo introduction reminds me of the fetishisation of 70's acoustic blackness. what third would call 'soul boys'. simultaneously anti-kojo and and anti-gangster. kendric lamar. trever nelson. giles peterson. so i'm too guarded to open up to that.

that angular bass is very nice. tugs me sideways. jungle snare emphasis.

i'm a sucker for vocal snippet with some echo.

the big piano chord is what gets me most. slow mo submerged in water. Cordierite blueness. ocean as surrogate womb, but in being so there's a melancholy in the need to escape from the world. "despair"

a lot of synth textures that are behind the time barrier for me. too archaic to have a real emotional or physiological reaction to. they can only be cultural references in my mind. nothing more. as it happens i think that's how the time barrier operates.

like the reverse bits at the end. eno innocence. that bit around 4 in the morning where it's still night, but the sky's turned a dark blue. an Cordierite blue in fact. he comfort in being alone.

sadmanbarty

Sprinkles is all referential to the past so the outdated stuff is all part of the message

very much so. unfortunately i'm not very good at working with that kind of thing.

but it does bring us to an important theme that's already emerging in web's list. his cartoon entry being the most explicit example.

i'm not able to articulate well at all. i can only skim tangental things round the edges:

music as non-music. music as a reference. like a meme. music not as an inherent emotional work, but rather a gesture to something beyond it. like those rap songs that get popular through vine. family guy pop culture jokes in music form. it's something internety for sure.

web promised there'd be video game music in the list for example. music wedded to a certain function; cartoon themes, video game music, meme, etc.

meta-music. meta-culture in fact. culture that doesn't reflect anything other than other culture; it has no human foundation.

hyperreality.

forclosure

7) Trent Reznor - Falling

never liked Nine Inch Nails, but if you ask me the soundtrack to Quake 1 is the best thing he ever did

forclosure

very much so. unfortunately i'm not very good at working with that kind of thing.

but it does bring us to an important theme that's already emerging in web's list. his cartoon entry being the most explicit example.

i'm not able to articulate well at all. i can only skim tangental things round the edges:

music as non-music. music as a reference. like a meme. music not as an inherent emotional work, but rather a gesture to something beyond it. like those rap songs that get popular through vine. family guy pop culture jokes in music form. it's something internety for sure.

web promised there'd be video game music in the list for example. music wedded to a certain function; cartoon themes, video game music, meme, etc.

meta-music. meta-culture in fact. culture that doesn't reflect anything other than other culture; it has no human foundation.

hyperreality.

man you make this sound as if my interests are like weirdly plastic or post-post modern Crowl did say that my tastes tend towards music that feels like it was laboured over and really specific

forclosure

8) Bobby Prince - Waiting for Romero to Play

early 90s metal dickhead memories as refracted through MIDI guitar to soundtrack blowing away hell knights and cacodemons..not bad Bobby Prince not bad

forclosure

9) Takushi Hiyamuta - Fujiyama Oriental Golf Club - Japan

Yes seriously this song slaps listen to that bassline how fresh those keys sound, the way it builds up from that guitar riff into the slick saxaphone section in a soundtrack to a golf game that has nothing but great songs THIS is without a shadow of a doubt the best one and the arranged version of it aint no slouch either

forclosure

How old were you when woo ha dropped pls boss

let me think 96/97 so maybe 2 or 3 i think

not to try and make you lot feel 3000 years old or something but look its more honest and realistc than me saying first thing i heard was Illmatic

forclosure

10) Thelonius Monk - Sweet and Lovely

An icon for black men with unique names everywhere first jazz pianist i loved and when he was solo it was always a treat

That strange decending bassline he does on this really shouldnt work its jumps in tone too much Earl Hines never went this out but it works, stride at its most angular

Last edited:

forclosure

11) Nomeansno - The World wasnt built in a day

This one was hard cause theres a dozen Nomeansno songs i couldve put on this list: "Madness and Death" "The River" "Wiggly Worm" "Dad" (absolutly terrifying song with maybe the best last line on a punk song ever) "Small Parts Isolated and Destroyed" (Maybe the best song about how shit touring is ever) "I Cant stop talking" (a rock song about consciousness....literally)

But in the end i went with this one, its like a Thomas Bernhard story in music form absolutly pitch black in its tone and sense of humour not their most accessible song but its a stand out by a group who have made many standouts:

https://nomeansnomusic.bandcamp.com/track/the-world-wasnt-built-in-a-day

forclosure

12) P2J Project - Hands in the Air

Best grime track to come out of the Channel U era... dont care Tiny Blacker"s 8 bar in this rivals Tempa T in terms of hype and aggro

Despite my feelings on South London and having to make the journey to it this one is impeachable

forclosure

13) Wolfpack on Axe FM - ????

To this day i dont think anybody knows what this riddim is, part of the weird issue with talking about grime now especially with my experiences of trying to talk about it with Americans is the 2nd as a British person you start to talk about the genre outside of how it started or the 5/6 MCs they know of you might aswell be trying to talk brain surgery to em.

Know what fair enough the guys the guys on this are questionable at best and shite at worst (shout outs to Al Blaze i only remember you cause of Lord of the Mics 2 and that one time on Axe FM you clashed and got demolished by Black the Ripper) but this riddim SOARS

forclosure

14) Chronik - Way down the road Mega Mix ft. Scorcher, Esco, Gman, Wiley

this track is like a tazer to your back,by the time it gets to Chronik"s verse at the end the carnage is almost over like a ice pick repeatedly jabbing into you Sorcher used to be a good producer but once he got too into copying Dipset at their most hair metal it was over.

Im cool with drill and UK rap but it could never make a track like this its reserved and in control of itself

forclosure

RIP Esco one time when i used to work at White Hart Lane and i was throwing black bin bags in the skip i saw Jermaine Dafoe and the gal he was with going off to his car.

didnt say anything to him cause ive never been into football and i wasnt gonna be like "oh yeah i loved your stepbrother he was sick terrible that he died" cause im not a psycho like that

forclosure

15) The Fall - New Puritian (peel session

I shouldnt have ended up liking The Fall as much as i did in my teens but i did a miserable bookish cunt from North London ends up identifying with a even more miserable bookish from up North who liked HP Lovecraft and Wyndham Lewis. Its that plus the repetition(it appealed to the rap nerd and the African in me), the deep contempt for nostalgia which the rest of his generational peers fell into, the jagged guitar tones the fact that they did so much with so little and his use of words in the sense that he talked around you but it made sense in its own baffling way(might end up talking about writers later), the fact that he didnt suffer and had little patience for fools also the first band that i saw live.

Damn right i got alot of complicated feelings on MES and his band mates imo they were all just as important as he was just that he was the domineering face of it all and im defo one of those people who really likes the Brix era she seems nice.

Come sit on the mountain top and enjoy the solar eclipse "deep down inside you know everybody wants to like big companies" gets more uncomfortably real as the years go on

forclosure

16) Entombed - Wolverine Blues

i know some of you lot on here love "uncomplicated" music on here and this is about as uncomplicated and meatheaded as i get yet it still feels like a bulldozer is carving up the earth

Great song to listen to when youre in the gym

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
woah enjoying this list man, kind of making me regret not slotting some post-punk and extreme guitar music on mine.

i have a few wolfpack sets on the hd, might upload em later.