I want to fall in love

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I definitely wasn't hating on Wolfgang - Gas is epic. I like the 90s techno stuff too. But the interview is hilarious.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Assuming you're not yankin me chain:

That's the whole point of dissensus kind of? ruthlessly challenge each other to extract the best out of them. :)

I think DFW was onto something with his pov on irony and post modernism. The way it creates a jaded, vacuous reality. I'm not sure why but I never really got swept up by all that. Maybe because I'm stunted, still very much a kid at heart, even though I grew up in its most rampant era. No idea... And I don't think I'm better either, don't get me wrong. I can be entertained by it, even participate. But ultimately it feels like a dead end. It leads us to a world of meaninglessness, in art, conversation, human connection. A devil's trick. The wolf licking the hunter's blood covered blade.

DFW? Also, let's take that premise as granted. the world is meaningless. vacuous or not, that is reality. if we want to change that, we need a revolution of sorts. that looks more and more unlikely as time goes by. It's easy to castigate this but not everyone's on the international party circuit... Even the illusive reality of a more human community can be packaged and sold to you as a commodity to pacify you, a safety valve.

Music born of pain and alchemised into medicine.

and in the 2010s surely that is nothing but a commodity? medicine today is a commodity after all.

That's how I see it. We all know pain, we can all respond to this music on that level. It's just whether you want to or not. Plenty of people are happy to have it as pure entertainment. That's fine. There's a fun side to much of it. But for me it's more of a guide, a story, allegory. A place to feel connected to that undisputable, cosmic truth. The true beauty of life. Warts and all. Theres so much wisdom to learn from this music. Question is, are you open to receive it? Some people don't feel the need, the desire. I don't know how to flip the switch if you're already way on the other side of the spectrum. For me it was innate from pretty much birth. I grew up listening to black music or if not, music that was heavily derived from black music. Dancing from a young age. Music was always solace. Life source, light source.

This, I think, is the stumbling block me and Luke and hardcore continuum people have with the Gilles types. We don't have a problem listening to the music he champions, often the 70s stuff we already sample, otherwise there would be no 94 jungle after all! It's the condescension, that us ruffnecks know nothing about soul and are unreceptive to cosmic truth. We too also grew up with black or black derived music and were dancing in early age. but we are excluded from that mythos.

I find that a lot of white Europeans tend to intellectualise, categorise and dissect this music. For me this is leading you towards that dead end where all the life gets sucked out of it. It gentrifies, it tidies it up and puts picket fences around the edges. Defangs it. Makes it more palatable. And why? Because they don't have the same type of creativity inside of them so their only way to interface with it, the clearly richer life force, is to try to apply logic & science. Academize it. Build institutions, write books, codify it. Make themselves the authority. Same as the majority of history. Find something organic, beautiful, steal it and make it their own. Why is Eric Clapton the most famous blues guitarist to so many people? Why are there rarely any non white drummers in the yearly top drummer lists? Music got whitewashed. No credit paid.

Except this is what the jazzbos did to jungle! they squeezed all the ragga, all the belgian techno, all the break choppage out of it, just to fit their ideal platonic conception of black music. they were not listening to jungle in 93! this is the thing, what you say is correct to an extent but some of those people you cite are just as complicit in this gentrifying process. talking loud getting on jungle. great.

Rambling now, but hopefully you can put it all together.

Definitely rambling, but it's the adorable west london grandad type of rambling so we'll let you off :)

chava

If you are implying that Germans have no sense of humour, you are correct of course. That's fine by me, I'm Danish so I can appreciate seriousness from afar instead.

Haven't seen the total interview, the latest Red Bull from 2018 was excellent.

I know people who have the same reaction to Wolfgang as well. Like 99% of techno heads, also German ones.

chava

Yeah that Spoken Word track is a stormer.

He has a totally unique way of 303 progamming, make it sound like the DADA instrument it really is :

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was only jesting cos I'm fucked on espresso

I love GAS.* I'm not familiar with his other work.

Also Munich showed me that Germans are by and large very nice jolly people. English people pride themselves far too much on their sense of humour.

*Although I listened to 'Pop 1' today and thought it wasn't all that.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You've admitted yourself that you have the attention span of a pond fly!

For those of us with adamantium mentalities GAS is like a constellation of brass farts

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I was only jesting cos I'm fucked on espresso

I love GAS.* I'm not familiar with his other work.

this is why you will side with the bourgeois to the very bitter end.. the first stage in your proletarianisation is to learn the arduous and laborious art of hardcore diggin. luke, take corpsey's waistcoat away from him.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm bourgeoesie til I die
I'm bourgeosie til I die
I listen to Bach
I never smoke crark
I'm bourgeoise til I die

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
sure, we sell ourselves to you lot. the proletariat is a class of capitalism, after all. this is why it must be abolished in the same process of us abolishing your baked beans.

Are you even bourgeois or just contemptibly middle class, that class stuck halfway between the proles and the bourgeois with absolutely no historical future? either you can go up or down but can never stay there.

Sidenote: I'm contemptibly middle class.

Last edited: