version

Like, personally if I was to have a bath, I'd be wanting a hot bath. Piping hot. The kind where it takes 5 minutes to gingerly lower yourself into it.

Is this an older man thing? My dad sometimes rings me when he's in the bath and says he runs it so hot he can barely stand it.

blissblogger

Is this an older man thing? My dad sometimes rings me when he's in the bath and says he runs it so hot he can barely stand it.

Always preferred it piping hot. And then you keep topping it up to maintain at that optimum level. Ideally controlling the tap with your toe so that you can stay fully immersed

Then there's that glum moment when the bath is as full as it can get but the temperature starts to go down and you face the dilemma of getting out or staying in it until it actually is tepid.

(Having said that, I can't remember the last time I had a bath bath. Bath is sometimes I mostly associate with childhood and living in a poorly heated house. The trauma of having to get out and make a dash across the landing to the bedroom and the one-bar electric.)

blissblogger

so hot he can barely stand it.

Same with tea actually. It has to be nearly scalding. You want to feel like there's a bonfire in your chest.

Tea is an odd substance because there's this very narrow band between 'perfect temperature' and then all of sudden it's just warm, which is too much of a preview of the abjectness of cold tea.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Same with tea actually. It has to be nearly scalding. You want to feel like there's a bonfire in your chest.

Tea is an odd substance because there's this very narrow band between 'perfect temperature' and then all of sudden it's just warm, which is too much of a preview of the abjectness of cold tea.

love it scolding black but

maxi

"when combined with tobacco or alcohol use"

That's like saying "high-street jogging may lead to a criminal conviction ... (when combined with doing it completely naked)"

blissblogger

probably okay since the cigs bit doesn't apply, nor the alcohol really either

too late to change now anyway

version

"In terms of how people go about the writing itself - if there’s one tendency I could identify, it’s an imbalance towards reviews and overviews, compared with a relative deficit of reported, in-the-field journalism. That kind of reportage is labour-intensive and requires support from a magazine (there are expenses involved). So, it’s convenient for both writers and publications if writers do work that can be done entirely from home. What gets lost is a sense of the music being embedded in real life. Music culture becomes something that exists online – as a writer you gather in your data via a screen, and then you send it out into the world via screens."

Good point, and you can extend it beyond music writing to all journalism. For some, 'in-the-field' simply means heading to a different corner of the internet.

dilbert1

I did love imagining him at the rave while I was reading the Wired articles, sweaty, conspicuously observant, body and mind churning, periodically leaving the dancefloor with a small chuckle to scribble some witty bits for later, trying to decide if that really is crack smoke he’s catching a whiff of

william_kent

@blissblogger - wasn't a lot of the "in-the-field" journalism of the music press hey day of the 70s, maybe even early 80s, mainly sponsored by the record companies hoping for a favourable review, and maybe fuelled by some drugs and other vices? I'm just looking for some gossip really

sus

I think Holly's inclusion is pretty reasonable, she's clearly been the industry leader in terms of AI integration last half-decade.

I think we should take her seriously. FWB was a really good idea, she turned a Discord into tens of millions of dollars and a festival. Her piece in the Whitney Biennial was IMO one of the standouts. Turning herself into a model, and going all-in on models circa 2020 was a good and obvious idea that someone was gonna do sooner or later, but she was early and went all in. I think we should put some respect on Holly Herndon's name.

sus

Neither luck nor nepotism will get you that many Ws in such a short time span.

I haven't actually listened to any of her music tho lol

blissblogger

@blissblogger - wasn't a lot of the "in-the-field" journalism of the music press hey day of the 70s, maybe even early 80s, mainly sponsored by the record companies hoping for a favourable review, and maybe fuelled by some drugs and other vices? I'm just looking for some gossip really

Journos would get sent on trips - the papers couldn't afford to fly people to America or Europe. They might run to a train ticket to another city in the UK, but usually the record company would cover that too. This was so normal and widespread, that in practice it had the opposite of a corrupting effect - it was taken for granted that WEA, or Island, would be paying for it, that was just how things were done.

For sure, the assumption from the record company is that the person who gets that assignment is well disposed to the group, and usually they would be. But in fact there are examples of writers who got sent to e.g. follow Prince around on tour in the USA and then wrote a quite devastating takedown. But even in that scenario, the record company benefits from exposure - a certain number of pages, or a front cover - which ultimately works as an advert for the new release.

But one of things I'm talking about there is to do with the difference between being in a room with an interviewee - and possibly hanging out more casually for some duration - and doing an interview remotely. You just get a much richer picture of someone if they are in front of you, how they carry themselves. I never used to go in much for physical descriptions or what the location was, but people who are good at that kind of thing can really convey the sense of a scene.

The worst development has been the email interview. It's convenient for the artist, they can slot it into downtime, all the stretches of sitting around that happen when you're in a band. Equally, the writer is tempted to go that route, cos there's no transcription, so time and labor is saved. But you end up with quotes that carefully composed, somewhat fussed over and prissy in feel, and the artist gets to present themselves exactly how they want to be seen.

If you talk to someone in the flesh - especially if they are intoxicated - they are more likely to say something unguarded and revealing. And the quotes have a better feel, it sounds like a human being speaking.

Sorry - I don't have any real gossip that comes to mind!