craner

Beast of Burden
Arch, but gorgeous. He sings like this not because he's trying to be camp because he can't sing. Gorgeous Jim used to hang out with Green in the pubs of Hackney, said he was a wanker.

craner

Beast of Burden
"Desert storm, uh, yeah, huh..."

This is an example of that turn of the millennium bounty of R&B and rap chart smashes: a golden moment. Fabolous’ sub-Ma$e mumble was a sound that would have wound me up at the time, but I really like it now, it presaged a future. In another spooky coincidence, which I didn’t know until I googled him earlier, Fabolous’s debut album was also scheduled for release on September 11th 2001.

This track lives for the hook, being a reconstruction of Tamia’s earlier R&B smash, in this version transformed into the most addictive and luscious chorus of its time.

Also, I really fancied Tamia.

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't like the original as much, which is weird because normally I would.

"My touth is chipped, doesn't matter": sums up the marriage of rap thugs and R&B angels of this time.

craner

Beast of Burden

Ubiquitous on London pirate stations from 1999-2001, both in this and remixed UKG form, this is from the same golden moment as Tamia and with requisite cyborg Hype Williams video, a R&B monster on its own terms but now overlaid with nostalgic echoes of those first couple of years spent fucking around in London before grime and terrorism took over.

luka

Ubiquitous on London pirate stations from 1999-2001, both in this and remixed UKG form, this is from the same golden moment as Tamia and with requisite cyborg Hype Williams video, a R&B monster on its own terms but now overlaid with nostalgic echoes of those first couple of years spent fucking around in London before grime and terrorism took over.

best song so far. one of anumber of r&b songs of the period which barely change once turned into garage. its a better garage song, but only just and the differences are minimal in any case

craner

Beast of Burden
best song so far. one of anumber of r&b songs of the period which barely change once turned into garage. its a better garage song, but only just and the differences are minimal in any case

Yeah, so minimal!

craner

Beast of Burden
Brandy!

Exhibit 1 of the brilliance of Kanye West, pop record producer. This was the lead single off Stelfox favorite Afrodisiac which was primarily a Timbaland project and probably the best thing Brandy ever did. Kanye’s contribution is absolutely ravishing, a perfect expression of the endorphin rush of the early stages of love, probably his best love song other than Alicia Keys’ equally gorgeous ‘You Don’t Know My Name’ (which should have been on this list, now I think about it).

craner

Beast of Burden
SLOW JAMZ

West, Pop Music, Exhibit 2. Nothing much to say about this other than that it reminds me of a time of cafes and flash showers in Soho, binge drinking on Roman Road, expensive dinners in South Kensington or on Edgware Road, brandy-tinged rambles along the River Lea. All simple shivers of nostalgia to me now, places I lived in and never go back to, faces I long to see more of or once again, all memories captured in the old feelings that this record taps into. Apart from all of that, it’s just a fantastic, funny, beautiful pop song.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
scritti politti - please copy this sound for your next ep tea
I was wondering "What is this? It's like a cross between Michael Jackson and Prince but with totally incongruous Black Sabbath guitar stabs". Quite good tho.

Sorry I'm lagging, I'm making soup.

woops

is not like other people
meant to be the fastest rapper ever twista. there was a guy on record breakers being the fastest rapper too can't remember if it was him, but i do remember he had wee papa girl rappers there to support him