Wiley's eski-œuvre

benjybars

village elder.
weird wiley related question...

see where he got 'stabbed 14 times in the palace pavilion'??

is that the palace pavilion in clapton by the roundabout??

no reason anyone should know this but still...

luka

of course, what else would it be... it also makes an appearnace in dizzees best lyric
'im well on my way to a million
youre still on your way to the palace pavilion'
i've been there a few times, its all right

benjybars

village elder.
of course, what else would it be... it also makes an appearnace in dizzees best lyric
'im well on my way to a million
youre still on your way to the palace pavilion'
i've been there a few times, its all right

ok thought so.

it's a squat now. i was at a party there a few weeks ago. i was looking for trails of wiley's blood on the walls but no joy... (no stalker)

haha after i went to that squat i thought that this must have been the cheesiest club in the world

it used to be a grand old hotel, loads of architectural salvage was still in there on squat opening like this huge wooden doorfame with carved doric columns and laurel wreaths - crazy

oh and the mirror room next to the bar - it must have been quite a small venue despite the large proud name

the place next door to that is pretty interesting -something about weddings 24/7/communtiy hall but its always closed

i think they may have been evicted now?

mos dan

fact music
wiley's reflective œuvre

http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2008/05/tagged-seven-songs/

3. Wiley - Sky Is Falling ft. Jookie Mundo
From Wiley’s latest mixtape “Grimewave”. I think everyone expects grime to by 100% aggy, but I really like the more reflective tunes. This is a nice downbeat 2step thing based around a female vocal sample.

inspired by that i procrastinated for a while yesterday making a playlist of downbeat/reflective/self-help wiley tunes:

remember the days (roll deep)
sky is falling
nan, i am london
i'm on point fans
that's what i need
be yourself
keep it moving
almost had me convinced
baby

so, what have i missed? i was just scanning through my itunes idly, i'm sure i've missed some.

viktorvaughn

so, what have i missed? i was just scanning through my itunes idly, i'm sure i've missed some.

Friday night

Bastard Freestlye from LOTM 2 I think? is kinda honest and introspective in its detailing of the lies he has told.

The tune with 'Sometimes at night I get lonely / I need a wifey to hold me' bar. Can't remember which it is.

gumdrops

you know whats really good about rolex? it sounds like a proper RECORD. the vocals and production and everything sounds like its had some time spent on it. it hasnt just been dashed off like so many of wileys other records. *cough* grimewave *cough*. what are wileys newer beats like? is he still even making many beats? cos some of the ones on grimewave that he did werent as good as id hoped they would be. his energies seem directed elsewhere, he just seems to still be going things like grimewave for the sake of it.

woops

is not like other people
http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2008/05/tagged-seven-songs/

inspired by that i procrastinated for a while yesterday making a playlist of downbeat/reflective/self-help wiley tunes:

remember the days (roll deep)
sky is falling
nan, i am london
i'm on point fans
that's what i need
be yourself
keep it moving
almost had me convinced
baby

Wow, I really don't know what happened to Pick Yourself Up when you were making that list.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
the 'so sure' freestyle has to be one of his best reflective tunes - 'doorway' and its predecessor 'take time'

bassnation

the abyss
Wow, I really don't know what happened to Pick Yourself Up when you were making that list.

i love the plain but pretty obvious advice (to everyone but teenagers maybe) in that song.

"pick yourself up, don't be lazy get up, life is moving faster now"

even going as far as admonishing teens on not eating right - "your bodys got no fuel - its no good"

just like if your mam decided to deliver a poignant message via the medium of grime.

bassnation

the abyss
the other wiley tune i've become obsessed with of late is the one where he's dueting with a female mc called chocolate brownie. the lyrics are pretty surreal but also have a touching parochialism about them which you'd never get with US rap.

hot i won't give up, no i can't give up
you can't get rid of the champion killer
me and jerome we know the gunchilla
wait i gotta bust a shot at tilla

like, what is a gunchilla?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
bassnation;138675 like said:
super-fly chrome-plated mini fridge like device for storing one's ting, preferably alongside a good Chardonnay, in order that one and one's ting is always cold like ice.

gumdrops

could someone ID an old wiley beat for me? its basically the take time beat but remade with wileys synth sounds. so much better than the version with piano samples.

petergunn

plywood violin
someone needs to do an all wiley eskibeat intro mix, it would be a shitload of work to do properly, but whoever does the mother of all eskimixes deserves a whitney biannual grant more than ryan mcginness does...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
someone needs to do an all wiley eskibeat intro mix, it would be a shitload of work to do properly, but whoever does the mother of all eskimixes deserves a whitney biannual grant more than ryan mcginness does...

I was just going to ask someone to do a Wiley mix

What mixtapes/albums are worth getting?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
in terms of albums, i think treading on thin ice is underrated, though some of it is a bit shit. Worth getting for pick yourself up alone though!

viktorvaughn

I was just going to ask someone to do a Wiley mix

What mixtapes/albums are worth getting?

Everything! I really wish I was good at mixing, my Wiley vinyl collection is decent...

He is a total patchy genius, some totally awful stuff and moments of sheer brilliance.

Da 2nd Phaze is really good (there is a demo version on the net somewhere with different tracks that is even better).

Tunnel Visions 1-5 are all worth listening to if perhaps not buying...

Treading on thing ice has some good bits as SNL says.