Alfred Adler

woops

is not like other people
but there may be something in music, maths or chess that fascinate a certain kind of mind or brain beyond what most people can even conceive of, aren't some activities self-directed in that way?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Even so, I'm far from convinced that most people can't access these things, it would just take work. Perhaps being a natural only makes this work easier - but the one way to permanently bar yourself from these things is to assume believe that they are absolutely out of reach permanently barred from you, no?

luka

Yes, this is a good phrasing of what I meant. After some base needs, it gets weird and reflexive and social.

@luka less that it's bad prose, more that it's specific language from from Rene Girard (phil) and Joseph Henrich (cultural evolution) that probably means a lot to me/is the best way of putting it in my head, but isn't clear if you're not aware of the frame

"asymmetric gaze" is this idea that people pay more attention or less attention to the people above/below them in the prestige hierarchy. Think how much watching of celebrity or royalty life there is, and how little "gaze" the royals/celebrities return.

I was being grumpy but this is an anti intellectual space very violently and passionately anti intellectual so there has to be a commitment to democratic language

woops

is not like other people
anyway is everyone equally full of potential or do some have more than others? big question. with me doing maths at school i hit a brick wall as soon as functions were introduced and i still can't understand them. maybe if i bashed my head on a brick wall i'd get them. same with piano playing, i haven't improved since age 16

luka

Anti intellectualism is the one single most important principle of dissensus. Not anti intelligence mind you. But anti intellectualism. We will happily burn books.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
anyway is everyone equally full of potential or do some have more than others? big question. with me doing maths at school i hit a brick wall as soon as functions were introduced and i still can't understand them. maybe if i bashed my head on a brick wall i'd get them. same with piano playing, i haven't improved since age 16
I think various psyches are differentiated in various ways, even upon birth, and thus have different predispositions that become dispositions, although perhaps not in uniform manners. That said, some may be predisposed to follow certain psychic developmental trajectories, the predisposition being felt as a naturalness or an ease with which the development ensues.

Part of the problem of dominant ideologies that that certain psychic trajectories, certain intensities, are valued somewhat arbitrarily over other possible intensities, such that a psyche which is predisposed nearer toward the intensity of the dominant ideology will have an easier time succeeding according to social standards, no? As opposed to a psyche which is predisposed toward some less established intensity, however excellently they would have grown toward it. (edit: they would be coerced into bending toward the established intensity, away from the one that would be felt as natural)

And social standards is a bit redundant, seeing as standards cannot exist solipsistically, without reference to others, to multiple instances/iterations. Unless I'm overlooking something here.

And to be frank I think most of the people who appear to be good at math have based their acumen on memorization, because memorization often suffices. Varoufakis points out that expert economists often have trouble defining capitalism, and I'm inclined to believe that similar troubles could be ascribed to experts in various fields.

luka

But people just use it to mean 'the situation in which we find ourselves' which I guess is fine

I've got the only good avatar. Dunno why people find it so hard to pick a suitable image.

I dont like yours. what is it? makes me feel queasy, like that feeling of looking at odd shaped holes, but its about the head. I sometimes have nightmares about horrible wounds in my skull and infinitely long bits of string pulled from my body. thats basically your avatar

• Haha
Reactions: sus