What do you wanna do before your dead

IdleRich

IdleRich
Stan is normally short for Stanley surely? A good old fashioned northern name. I always think of Albert and the Lion to cross over with the children's book thread.

STANLEY HOLLOWAY
Albert And The Lion
There's a famous seaside place called Blackpool
That's noted for fresh air and fun
And Mr. and Mrs. Ramsbottom
Went there with young Albert, their son.
A fine little lad were young Albert,
All dressed in his best, quite a swell.
He'd a stick with an 'orse's 'ead 'andle;
The finest that Woolworth's could sell.
They didn't think much to the ocean,
The waves they were piddlin' and small.
There were no wrecks and nobody drownded,
'Fact, nothin' to laugh at at all!
So, seeking for further amusement,
They paid, and went into the zoo,
Where they'd lions and tigers and camels
And cold ale and sandwiches, too.
There were one great big lion called Wallace
Whose nose was all covered with scars;
He lay in a som-no-lent posture
With the side of 'is face on the bars.
Now Albert 'ad 'eard about lions-
'Ow they was ferocious and wild;
To see lion lyin' so peaceful
Just didn't seem right to the child.
So straightway the brave little feller,
Not showin' a morsel of fear,
Took 'is stick with the 'orse's 'ead 'andle
And stuck it in Wallace's ear.
You could see that the lion din't like it,
For givin' a kind of a roll,
'E pulled Albert inside the cage with 'im
And swallered the little lad - 'ole!
Now Mother 'ad seen this occurrence,
And not knowin' what to do next,
She 'ollered "Yon lion's et Albert!"
An' Father said "Ee, I am vexed."
They complained to an animal keeper
Who said "My, wot a nasty mis'ap;
Are you sure it's your boy 'e's eaten?"
Pa said, "Am I sure? There's 'is cap!"
The manager 'ad to be sent for;
'E came and 'e said "Wot's to-do?"
Ma said "Yon lion's et Albert,
And 'im in 'is Sunday clothes, too!"
Father said "Right's right, young feller-
I think it's a shame and a sin
To 'ave our son et by a lion
And after we paid to come in."
The manager wanted no trouble;
He took out his purse right away,
Sayin' "'Ow much to settle the matter?"
Pa said "Wot do you usually pay?"
But Mother 'ad turned a bit awkward
When she saw where 'er Albert 'ad gone.
She said "No, someone's got to be summonsed!"
So that was decided upon.
And off they all went to p'lice station
In front of a Magistrate chap;
They told what 'ad 'appened to Albert
And proved it by showing 'is cap.
The Magistrate gave 'is opinion
That no one was really to blame,
And 'e said that 'e 'oped the Ramsbottoms
Would 'ave further sons to their name.
At that Mother got proper blazin':
"And thank you, sir, kindly," said she-
"Wot, spend all our lives raisin' children
To feed ruddy lions? Not me!"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
oh maybe this is what 3 and L mean?

NOT very glowing stan
A dozen baby-brained herberts looking to face me off just to say they squared up to Kosher Kramer before the cobble.

Mans can't keep up wit yout dem slang ting! 🤯

sus

It was a kind of end of year summary of the show, where members of the production team interviewed Tyler, the host. I think it's the Dec 23 2019 show shown here. But the other episodes are much more interesting to be honest. His show is a surfeit of riches: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/conversations-with-tyler/id983795625?mt=2

No I hate to confess it publicly but I'm a TC obsessive, he's wonderful. Few interviewers prep as rigorously, or prod at their interviewees as effectively.

sus

I've only seen his talk with Zizek, and you're right Cowen prodded him like crazy.

That talk is incredible, Cowen at peak form, getting Zizek to admit he's not a communist and the label is just a rhetorical move against liberalism

Dredging up Zizek's Eastern European political history, pointing out he's actually and has always been a pro-democracy moderate.

Nearly persuading Zizek to move to Denmark and write about trams.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't understand what you've said, which makes you think you don't understand me? I'm not touting for clients! Reichian therapy is amazing. I'd like to make a living practicing it if I can, that's what I'm saying.

oh ok i was worried you would be setting up a clinic. I'm sick of old women interrogating me and then sighing and muttering 'oh it's so very tough.' Well yes lovely, it is. But the job pays well enough, i spose.

DannyL

Wild Horses
oh ok i was worried you would be setting up a clinic. I'm sick of old women interrogating me and then sighing and muttering 'oh it's so very tough.' Well yes lovely, it is. But the job pays well enough, i spose.
Only way I could practice it legit, ethically, is private practice right now. Might change in the future idk.

Would be interested in your experiences with therapy if you ever want to post them.

The Reichian stuff goes through the body so it's a bit different than the polite but unhelpful mumblings you're speaking of. I've had some right shit annoying therapy as well.

beiser

I should think I would like to insert myself into the course of history convinced that I've achieved some level of immortality, though of course without the costs of being truly responsible for anything. So far I feel I've gotten just close enough that the butterflies wings wobble a bit differently, but I'd like quite a bit more unambiguous of a success. My greatest legacy right now is a bit of code that runs on billions of phones but that doesn't work quite right, every time someone downloads an app there's a tiny bug visible onscreen.

But frankly, I'd prefer a good psyop, maybe a couple have been hits but of course, it's hard to feel ownership for a psyop, you never know if it was you that originated it, but I hear good things sometimes, I think some things have been downstream of me. So I feel I'm getting close there.

On a broader scale, it would be nice to become a wife guy, perhaps I'll one day start deadlifting, I expect to get alzheimer's around 50 so I'm pushing a bit for some resolution of things fairly quick. Maybe an essay that gets widely anthologized, if they have anthologies in the future. Worst case, I think I'll hit 35 and write a memoir, some kind of psychotic pseudo-history of capital flows, some pastiche of bonfire of the vanities. That's a fear of mine, that the alzheimers will hit early, I'll be reduced to scenester, a clever bag of tricks and reliable stories hopping between parties but ultimately parasitic.

beiser

oh, and it'd be good to live a couple months in a lighthouse. No internet connection, only contact with the world to pick up groceries. If hit by a heart attack, I would be dead, de-facto, they'd find me months later when the landlord noticed I'd stopped paying the bills. A good way to go, some kind of grand opus written in front of me, on a fully encrypted disk, lost to time.

beiser

can you sort out the db problem i identified in the migration thread please thankyou
my second biggest claim to fame is that I do not understand databases at all, don't know what they're for or even really what they are

• Haha
Reactions: sus

martin

----
oh, and it'd be good to live a couple months in a lighthouse. No internet connection, only contact with the world to pick up groceries.

Unfortunately most are automated these days. And the ones that aren't pay peanuts / are done on a voluntary basis (yeah, I looked into it...)

Probably best I didn't or there'd have been tankers smashing into the rocks left, right and centre.