version

Anyone read his book, Tarantula? Also I remember reading his lyrics became more cryptic and fragmented after he met Burroughs.

luka

I listened to loads of Dylan last night I was really into it. Then at a certain point I just wanted that fat bloke to shout SHANGRI LA LA at me 5000 times.

sus

You know Dylan is giving a rare self-disclosure when he handwaves a lyric away as "purely associative" or "dreamlike," doesn't remember writing it, doesn't mean anything etc. The reveal comes in the chorus:

He was an outlaw, that's for sure,
More of an outlaw than you
[read: Dylan] ever were.

sus

Spent some time post-college getting into all the post-1967 albums that casual fans tend to ignore (sans, maybe, Blood on the Tracks & New Morning)

Desire, Shot of Love, Infidels, Empire Burlesque all slapped. Love his foray into white reggae with "Jokerman," does it better than Scritti

version

"Prophets traditionally don't last long—they are either killed outright, or given an accident serious enough to make them stop and think, and most often they do pull back."

version

Spent some time post-college getting into all the post-1967 albums that casual fans tend to ignore (sans, maybe, Blood on the Tracks & New Morning)

Desire, Shot of Love, Infidels, Empire Burlesque all slapped. Love his foray into white reggae with "Jokerman," does it better than Scritti
This is my mum's fav. Dylan tune.

Reactions: sus

sus

My younger brother refuses to listen to "Hurricane" because it has the n-word, says Dylan isn't allowed to say it

sus

"Prophets traditionally don't last long—they are either killed outright, or given an accident serious enough to make them stop and think, and most often they do pull back."
That's the GR guy, right?? There's a theory that Pynch thought the CIA had targeted Dillon + Fariña?

version

That's the GR guy, right?? There's a theory that Pynch thought the CIA had targeted Dillon + Fariña?
Yeah, Farina was Pynchon's best mate, married to Joan Baez's sister and friends with Dylan. He died in a motorcycle accident then Dylan also got into a motorcycle accident, but survived. GR's dedicated to Farina.

version

The theory's Farina was killed because he was causing trouble, leading protests etc and they tried to do Dylan the same way. There's also been speculation Joan Baez's father was involved in MKUltra or something similar.

version

That quote's from the Byron the Bulb section of GR,
Byron, as he burns on, sees more and more of this pattern. He learns how to make contact with other kinds of electric appliances, in homes, in factories and out in the streets. Each has something to tell him. The pattern gathers in his soul (Seek, as the core of the earlier carbon filament was known in Germany), and the grander and clearer it grows, the more desperate Byron gets. Someday he will know everything, and still be as impotent as before. His youthful dreams of organizing all the bulbs in the world seem impossible now—the Grid is wide open, all messages can be overheard, and there are more than enough traitors out on the line. Prophets traditionally don't last long—they are either killed outright, or given an accident serious enough to make them stop and think, and most often they do pull back. But on Byron has been visited an even better fate. He is condemned to go on forever, knowing the truth and powerless to change anything. No longer will he seek to get off the wheel. His anger and frustration will grow without limit, and he will find himself, poor perverse bulb, enjoying it. ...

• Love