sus

Yeah Hajdu's take is both of them were obsessed with James Dean. Fariña wrote a very hagiographic essay about Dylan as Dean. And the two very much saw each other as kindred souls, sources of mutual aspiration.

sus

@kid charlemagne What are your favorite Dylan period / run of albums?

Not the one you'd say at a party to look cool and give a deep cut. What you'd save if everything else was gonna be burned and you could never hear it again

sus

You're right, the length of the run is the key question, it's hard to argue with Benny if a run is that long

Let's say 2-3 albums

sus

I personally think Freewheelin + Times + Another Side are juvenalia. Grabs for popularity, relevancy, respect. A kid playing adult. Interesting biographically, interesting culturally. But not great works. That's just my very uninformed opinion, open to pushback.

sus

But part of me thinks, why not Self Portrait, New Morning, Pat Garrett, Planet Waves, Blood on the Tracks.

I think you could even make a case for Desire and Street Legal, or Infidels and Shot of Love as two mini-peak, better than the early albums, but not on the same level as his 65-75 stuff.

Benny Bunter

I personally think Freewheelin + Times + Another Side are juvenalia. Grabs for popularity, relevancy, respect. A kid playing adult. Interesting biographically, interesting culturally. But not great works. That's just my very uninformed opinion, open to pushback.
Why is it an uninformed opinion? You've listened to them all surely, and it's a valid one.

Times is more of a period piece and Another Side is a dip in quality, probably more dashed off, but Freewheelin' is for all time imo

Reactions: sus

other_life

bioconfused
John Wesley has some of my all time favorite cuts but the A side should have been an EP/Mini LP and the B side scrapped