version

I was disappointed with chronicles. A bit like the mark e smith book. I hoped they'd do some proper writing. Take a risk.
All I can remember of that Mark E. Smith book is that there were sections of some sort of poetry and he used the phrase "town flesh" in one of them.

Benny Bunter

Chronologically it jumps from era to era in a really interesting way, skips all the boring childhood stuff you usually get in these things, and I thought the writing was great. 'Evocative' (i hate that word)

Plus I seem to remember really liking the font they used, which sounds stupid and probably is, but I think it made a difference kind of gave it extra weight.

linebaugh

Ive had like a rolling stone on repeat for days now. For whatever reason it clicked after hearing it my whole life and not caring much for it. It feels like your in a montage segment at the county fair in a coming of age story.

shakahislop

Ive had like a rolling stone on repeat for days now. For whatever reason it clicked after hearing it my whole life and not caring much for it. It feels like your in a montage segment at the county fair in a coming of age story
i listened to that one a few months ago and was struck by the cruelty of it. people talk about the misogyny that's peppered through dylan's stuff but the thing i notice more is that he's a cruel lyricist. ballad of a thin man and idiot wind are obvious examples. he punches quite hard i think, that's part of the appeal

shakahislop

very cruel. i love that song that and idiot wind are twinned. lot of drive in them.
masters of war reminds me of a war dub. he goes in hard with the intention to wound. the relentlessness of the structure is a bit similar as well

sus

I've been reading David Hajdu's Positively Fourth Street on Dylan, Joan & Mimi Baez, and Richard Fariña.

I think it's very interesting the structural parallels he subtly points out between the men and women.

Dick & Dylan are both race-fabricators, tall-tale-tellers, glory chasers, trend chasers, constantly performing constantly reinventing themselves. Protean figures.

I don't think I ever understood Dylan's records until I understood his biography. He's a stylist first and foremost.