kid charlemagne

Well, you know I need a steam shovel mama to keep away the dead
I need a dump truck mama to unload my head
She brings me everything and more, and just like I said

sus

Kid messaged me that it "wasn't possible" that Joni Mitchell's discography might rival Dylan's, but then he admitted he'd only heard Blue.

I am issuing a challenge to Dylan fans worldwide... Can you show me a Dylan stanza to rival the opening of "Electricity," an unheralded cut on an unheralded Joni album, anywhere in Dylan's discography?

The Minus is loveless
He talks to the land
And the leaves fall
And the pond over-ices

She don't know the system, Plus
She don't understand
She's got all the wrong fuses and splices
She's not going to fix it up too easy

sus

Dylan will mix metaphors twice in the same line—"No use in changing horses in mid stream"—but in "Electricity" you get an extended conceptual metaphor about pluses and minuses, fuses and splices, negative and positive flows of energy. Much better writing IMO, sorry Joni haters!

Or from Paprika Plains—again, I don't even have to dig into her classic 60s albums, her 70s stuff is even more mature—

Back in my hometown
They would have cleared the floor
Just to watch the rain come down!
They're such sky oriented people
Geared to changing weather

I'm floating off in time
I'm floating off, I'm floating off in time

Meanwhile Dylan's singing about how "Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast." Sorry Dylan stans, that line's a dud!

kid charlemagne

@kid charlemagne
Lou Reed and William Burroughs meeting, chronicled by a Reed biographer VB=Victor Bockris

LR: About Kerouac: How could a guy that was so good-looking and romantic and writing that myth for generations end up a fat, dumb asshole--if you don't mind my being crude--sitting in front of television in a T-shirt drinking beer with his mother? What happened to make him change?

WB: He didn't change that much, Lou. He was always like that. First there was a young guy sitting in front of television in a T-shirt drinking beer with his mother, then there was an older, fatter person sitting in front of television in a T-shirt drinking beer with his mother.

LR: Well, Mr. Burroughs, let me ask you this. Did Kerouac get a lot of his books published because he slept with his publisher? I mean, is there a lot of that in the literary world? Sleeping with editors and publishers in order to get published?

WB: Not really as much as in painting. No, thank God, it is not very often that a writer will have to actually make it with his publisher in order to get published, but there are a lot of cases of a young artist who will have to sleep with an older woman gallery owner or something to get their first show, or get a grant. I can definitely assure you that I have never had sex with any of my publishers. Thank God, it has not been necessary.

LR: And you're both really relieved...Do you know my work at all? Have you ever listened to any of my records?

WB: Yeah, I was listening to it this afternoon.

LR: Which one? Which one?

WB: The latest one, of course.

LR: Oh, The Bells. The Bells.

WB: Yes.

LR: Do you like it? I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm sure you wouldn't mind telling me if you didn't like it.

WB: Yes, I like it very much.

LR (Looking at his watch): Well, we who play cannot stay. We have to get back to do the gig. Listen, I really enjoyed meeting you, it was a great pleasure for me and I want to thank you very much.

WB: Well, it was my pleasure.

LR: Do you mind if I have your phone number?

WB: No. Sure.

LR: Could we get together some time and just have dinner together without all this...

WB: Certainly. I'd be delighted.

VB: That's a good idea. We should do that.

LR: Who included you? What's this we all of a sudden? I just want to have a quiet dinner and talk.

luka

Kid messaged me that it "wasn't possible" that Joni Mitchell's discography might rival Dylan's, but then he admitted he'd only heard Blue.

I am issuing a challenge to Dylan fans worldwide... Can you show me a Dylan stanza to rival the opening of "Electricity," an unheralded cut on an unheralded Joni album, anywhere in Dylan's discography?

The Minus is loveless
He talks to the land
And the leaves fall
And the pond over-ices

She don't know the system, Plus
She don't understand
She's got all the wrong fuses and splices
She's not going to fix it up too easy
joni is a way better writer than dylan but then so is paul simon. dylan is basically a moron.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

like gus i often think about how stupid the jet plane lyricc is, but at the same time its indelible, its the moron-sublime. hes a deeply stupid man but hes in touch with something. like an idiot savant.