Universally agreed terrible film(s)

catalog

Robert bresson. Jean pierre Melville. Some of godard, some of truffaut. L.627, la haine. Jean jacques audiard. I think the protectionist nature of French cinema has worked in a way that it hasn't for British cinema.

catalog

The Long Good Friday, Lawrence of Arabia and Black Narcissus are decent, also Dog Soldiers.
I actually watched the long good Friday the other night and liked it, still can't quite figure it out though. As in the ending.

You forgot scum and almost all Alan Clarke.

craner

Beast of Burden
Robert bresson. Jean pierre Melville. Some of godard, some of truffaut. L.627, la haine. Jean jacques audiard. I think the protectionist nature of French cinema has worked in a way that it hasn't for British cinema.

Liar. I bet only bit of French cinema that really "excites" you is the lesbian squash court scene in Emmanuelle.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
also Dog Soldiers.

This is why I don’t want to get my hopes too far stretched waiting for Enys Men but Bait had a spark or two

it’s drier than ever for British film not as if there’s real pedigree beyond the usual suspects, maybe a small budget gem gets it together for once

version

The lead up to it, why it happened etc eg. I keep wanting to go back to the beginning. Music in it is mental.

I can't remember the exact details, but basically someone working for him gets mixed up with the IRA on the side, some people turn up dead and some money goes missing and they take it as Hoskins having a go at them so they start dismantling his property empire.

william_kent

i'll chip in with:

the only films i "fuck wit" are Japanese, Hong Kong ( pre "handover"), Taiwan ( and i'm only really talking King Hu tbh ) , and some Korean

best British film of all time is Psychomania

catalog

Yes that's correct I know but it's all a bit tacked on. Unsatisfying. Like they think "fuck it" as regards plot and just go for that 80s music.

catalog

i'll chip in with:

the only films i "fuck wit" are Japanese, Hong Kong ( pre "handover"), Taiwan ( and i'm only really talking King Hu tbh ) , and some Korean

best British film of all time is Psychomania
Oh yeah I remember you telling me about that the other night now, will have to track it down