Universally agreed terrible film(s)

version

I've loved La Haine whenever I've seen it, actually. That would be another top French film for me. Thought I'd like Melville, but I wasn't really into Le Samourai or Le Cercle Rouge. Bit dull.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think the protectionist nature of French cinema has worked in a way that it hasn't for British cinema.

This is precisely the reason French cinema is so bad, and is definitely not the reason British cinema is so average.

The best British films came out of commercial studios, piratical producers, independant mavericks and an influx of immigrants (particularly Hungarians). All European cinema suffers when it tries to copy the "protectionist" French tradition rather than the dynamic, mercernary American system.

catalog

This is precisely the reason French cinema is so bad, and is definitely not the reason British cinema is so average.

The best British films came out of commercial studios, piratical producers, independant mavericks and an influx of immigrants (particularly Hungarians). All European cinema suffers when it tries to copy the "protectionist" French tradition rather than the dynamic, mercernary American system.
I agree that p&p are really really good. But they are a bit of an anomoly I think.

william_kent

Oh yeah I remember you telling me about that the other night now, will have to track it down

here you go;

pyschomania

zombie biker gang!

stone circles!

toad magick! ala Cultus Sabbati, Andrew Chumbley!

the forgotten Folk Horror masterpiece of the 70s

plus googlie interior design

the film that ended george sander's career

beryl reid as a medium

featuring cameos from dot cotton from eastenders, some guy from 70s pertwee era dr who, and one of dad's army

main guy featured as a sidekick in witch finder general

killer soundtrack

favourite quote; 'today we do the ton!"

ton-up boys and girls

the rising from the dead scene surely must be the inspiration for the cover of the second worst album of the 70s, "bat out of hell"

edit; i was going to write a ten thousand word essay on this film, relating the Toad Magick aspects back to secret rites conducted along the Ganges, the cunning men of East Anglia, the Scottish Society of Horsemen ( controlling their steeds through toad magic ), and the rise of limited edition "magical" tomes prevalent in the 21st century, but I might have blown my load now...

version

Hong Kong ( pre "handover"),

The Chinese state censored Johnnie To recently after he made a statement at the Berlin Film Festival.

“For me, cinema has always been in the vanguard. When totalitarian rule emerges, when people lose their freedoms, cinema is the first to take the hit. In most cases, cultural production will be forcefully suspended, since the cinema speaks directly to the audience. That’s why dictators always target the cinema. I think Hong Kong … No, sorry. I think all the countries and peoples fighting for freedom across the globe should support the cinema. Because the cinema speaks out on behalf of you.”

william_kent

The Chinese state censored Johnnie To recently after he made a statement at the Berlin Film Festival.

“For me, cinema has always been in the vanguard. When totalitarian rule emerges, when people lose their freedoms, cinema is the first to take the hit. In most cases, cultural production will be forcefully suspended, since the cinema speaks directly to the audience. That’s why dictators always target the cinema. I think Hong Kong … No, sorry. I think all the countries and peoples fighting for freedom across the globe should support the cinema. Because the cinema speaks out on behalf of you.”

good on him

as opposed to sell out jackie chan who is now a shill of the ccp

craner

Beast of Burden
La Haine is terrible.

The French couldn't even make a good film about Algeria, the Italians had to do that for them as well.

version

Korean cinema has a good reputation at the moment, but I haven't seen that much. Korean cultural exports seem to be booming in general, what with the success of k-pop, Parasite winning the Oscar and Squid Game doing well on Netflix.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
There was also Ealing, all the great 50s war movies, David Lean, early Hitchcock, Hammer , Reeves, Roeg and not forgetting (of course) @WashYourHands favorite Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Roeg absolutely but if someone says they like FW we can never be friends, it’s hideous, Love Actually napalmed to fuck and back too

Imagine what Pinhead could do to Hugh Grant’s soul.....

version

Hugh Grant comes off better in real life than he does in his films. The reverse of Brad Pitt who's cool in his films and comes off like a doofus in real life.

william_kent

Hugh Grant comes off better in real life than he does in his films. The reverse of Brad Pitt who's cool in his films and comes off like a doofus in real life.

there's a bit in some nick broomfield documentary where the pimp of the woman that hugh grant got busted for consorting with spins nick a yarn and it reminded me of how people were aghast that grant could prefer oral off a working girl when he was supposedly hooked up with that welsh woman who ended up married to one of kirk douglas' kids...and well, obviously she doesn't "do" what is required

i remember the welsh woman praising brexit because dyson could provide more wattage for her hairdryer when it went through, vapid, lucky escape for hugh there