thirdform

pass the sick bucket
No lie when I first got into DNB I thought this sort of tune was the height of what fucked

I mean this is the stuff @blissblogger should find interesting according to his theories. about as anti-cognoscenti, anti-soulquarian, pro-rockist trash, as you can possibly get!

But then, as he astutely notes in Bring the Noise, there is a classiness, a nimbleness to jungle which is hard for certain bohemians to understand. the ethereal emotion of a jazz cord, or a finely tuned break. even liquid funk itself is such a scrumptious proposition, but it never quite ended up like that.

It's also why dissensus finds it hard to understand techno, because they are prisoners of civilisation and refuse to commit to the barbaric dissolution in machinic circuitry. Techno is in some senses the culmination of a non-humanist music, this incessant, repeating cold machine groove. Even classical electroacoustic, about 1000 more times more alien than your archetypical techno tool, is guided by the fastidious process of classical composition.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
fabio talks about in his latest interview with DJ Ron how liquid was a kind of adult jungle, a music that was confident in itself, and an alternative to 2step garage. On one hand I definitely see it, sonically, on the other hand I'm not really sure if I can hack an hour of it. There's also the fact that when UK garage went pop it was cribbing licks from rnb, so managed to hyperaccelerate its xtc. Whereas liquid going pop ended up sounding like David Guetta at 170.

I dunno, your milage may vary, it's not my thing. bit too regressive from the Bukem sounds of 94-97 which were really like the air being freshened in front of your eyes and you ascending into the cosmos with clarity.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think this stuff has something in common with some grime actually (that'll annoy the dissensoid cultural mafia)—the brutally functional nature of it.

Every tune structured in almost identical ways, tools for DJs to mix as fast as possible, nothing deep or imaginative going on, just pure pill monster rinse out music.

Also the sounds being used are often as abrasive and tasteless as possible.

I wonder how much jump up drum n bass the original grime guys were into

version

I went through a period when I was a teenager of liking stuff like DJ Hazard and Pendulum before starting to find it pretty irritating. That kick - snare pattern a lot of it has really grates.

'Machete' isn't too bad as far as this stuff goes, but 'Mr. Happy' is.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think this stuff has something in common with some grime actually (that'll annoy the dissensoid cultural mafia)—the brutally functional nature of it.

Every tune structured in almost identical ways, tools for DJs to mix as fast as possible, nothing deep or imaginative going on, just pure pill monster rinse out music.

Also the sounds being used are often as abrasive and tasteless as possible.

Quite a lot of it. Slimzee used to play firefox Buck Rogers at 33 etc.

Sub Focus - Juno is basically 8 bar, just at 170 and with the fastplod dnb beat.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this stuff is irritating because of its lack of syncopation, but there are more commonalities with grime than people want to admit.

version

That Wiley Pressure thing feels like I should be nipping about in a mate's car. It's driving music. That's why the Moving Shadow station was so good in GTA III.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
That Wiley Pressure thing feels like I should be nipping about in a mate's car. It's driving music. That's why the Moving Shadow station was so good in GTA III.

yeah, this is why i prefer techstep to jump up, cos it's train music, and as someone who can't drive due to visual impairment, trains have been my primary mode of transportation. the architectural emptiness and glide of travelling on rail. trace and nico - Amtrak. sort of hypnogogic, but instead of the state being pleasant, it is apocalyptic.

Conversely, gabber and hardcore acid are great for travelling on megabus and coach, precisely because the seating is so crammed, and there is a lack of glide, constant stop starts.

93-95 Jungle in the car is actually really good in Turkey, when you've gotta go all the way down a 200km motorway.

Jump up to me quintessentially feels like UK driving music, small, inconsequential journeys carried out by car simply out of convenience. 20 mins there, 30 mins there, and so on and so on.

luka

first time i heard wiley and riko was in 1999 over this sort of thing and i knew the future had arrived