Playing instruments with other people

sus

So what happened? Did the singer's girlfriend have a Yoko Ono effect on the rest of the band? Irreconcilable artistic differences? Pressures of touring get too much for you? Drummer's heroin habit get out of hand?
Yoko Ono is good actually and it is regressive sexism to say otherwise

sus

I would tactical strike the Beatles outta existence a dozen times over to save this song from the sands of time

linebaugh

I would tactical strike the Beatles outta existence a dozen times over to save this song from the sands of time
I was watching a lou reed interveiw last night and it went:

'I dont like the beatles. I don't like any of the british groups; I don't think they should make rock n roll'

'What should they make then?'

'I dont think they should make anything'

sus

He and bowie got along didn't they? Obviously glam is a different thing from The Who

sus

I've never found The Who remotely compelling aesthetically conceptually personality wise but I always liked that Babaganoush song

Leo

Q: What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A: The drummer

that was me, late teens, playing mostly in my friend's garage. my best friends were two brothers down the street who played guitar and bass, they picked up an old but not bad drum kit at a flea market and said "hey, be our drummer". True DIY, never learned to do even the most basic things an actual drummer could do, but I guess a natural sense of rhythm helped. since I had no clue what I was doing, I immediately got wicked blisters on my hands from gripping to stick too tightly, took awhile to adjust. we were all in on early punk, played some originals but also Ramones and Clash covers for fun. except the guitarist was also into Queen (and Sabbath), so also did stuff like "Keep Yourself Alive" and "Now I'm Here".

it was mostly an excuse to plow through a case of beer between the three of us on hot summer nights in an un-air conditioned garage. never played out, but often had friends hang out while practicing, so could say we played lots of private shows. a total blast.

william_kent

so many drummer jokes:

What do you call a drummer without a girl friend?
Homeless.

What does a stripper do with her asshole before going to work?
Drops him off at band practice.

etc.,

we once took in a drummer who was homeless

big mistake

but the upside was he could fiddle the gas and electric meters, so we learnt how to get free power

downside was the heavy hints he would drop while in the supermarket

"I like baked beans"

one-sided conversations about "paradiddles"

etc.,

• Haha
Reactions: Leo

luka

so many drummer jokes:

What do you call a drummer without a girl friend?
Homeless.

What does a stripper do with her asshole before going to work?
Drops him off at band practice.

etc.,

we once took in a drummer who was homeless

big mistake

but the upside was he could fiddle the gas and electric meters, so we learnt how to get free power

downside was the heavy hints he would drop while in the supermarket

"I like baked beans"

one-sided conversations about "paradiddles"

etc.,
@sadmanbarty

martin

----
Yeah, me and Chris H recorded a 20-track tape in 1991 – him on Flying V, me on Zenta guitar with the top string detuned (to simulate ‘a bass’), and a mate who was into NWA (and thought punk was ‘gay’) playing screwdrivers on a Tupperware box. I was trying to be Crass with even worse lyrics, but Chris was really into Bathory, so every song had a load of atonal manic guitar soloing over the plodding 3-chord bass. He was actually a talented guitarist, so he ditched me to join a proper band, and the ‘drummer’ decided he preferred sniffing marker pens and torturing cats, so that was that.

But years later, I found out we outsold Mancunian artist Adolf Chip-Pan, who once paid to get into the Viz Top 10. He sold one copy of his tape, and we sold two of ours.

Apart from that, some drunken shambolic rehearsals with other people (one attendee was the girl who was in the UK Sunkist TV ad around ’93 or ‘94 – true fact) but my guitar broke so I pretty much retired at 17. Sang a cover of Motorhead's ‘Bomber’ with a (real) punk band on stage at the Samuel Pepys in Hackney around 1999 or 2000, which was a laugh (for me, the crowd mightn't have found it so funny).

william_kent

I still dig out my "bomber" 45 and play it at 33

it rocks

edit; I still get lambasted for losing my lemmy autograph, it was just a piece of paper ffs

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I tend to take some contact mics and pedals and stuff down to our local experimental jam thing:

It reminds me a bit of the electronic music bar in Crying of Lot 49 - "Come on around Saturdays, starting midnight we have your Sinewave Session, that's a live get-together, fellas come in just to jam from all over the state. [...] We got a whole back room full of your audio oscillators, gunshot machines, contact mics, everything, man. That's for if you didn't bring your axe, see, but if you've got the feeling and you want to swing with the rest of the cats, there's always something available."

william_kent

I still dig out my "bomber" 45 and play it at 33

it rocks

edit; I still get lambasted for losing my lemmy autograph, it was just a piece of paper ffs

a total lie

it's the B side I play at 33

"over the top"

just dug the 7 inch out now and realised my mistake

william_kent

yeah, the drummer of some "heavy metal" band once freeloaded off me and my housemates, and even though he rigged the electricity and gas meters so we didn't have to pay a penny ( or "cent" in your language ), he was still a burden when we went shopping because he dropped weird hints about being hungry and wanting food, one of which involved his love of Heinz baked beans

have you ever lived with a drummer?

thank god for Roland!

1677897880527.png

^ I've got one of these rotting in a cupboard, and it's still far better company than the dude we stupidly lent a roof to

sus

yeah, the drummer of some "heavy metal" band once freeloaded off me and my housemates, and even though he rigged the electricity and gas meters so we didn't have to pay a penny ( or "cent" in your language ), he was still a burden when we went shopping because he dropped weird hints about being hungry and wanting food, one of which involved his love of Heinz baked beans

have you ever lived with a drummer?

thank god for Roland!

View attachment 14450

^ I've got one of these rotting in a cupboard, and it's still far better company than the dude we stupidly lent a roof to
Structural unemployment comes for us all; drummers are just... Early