Barbie

ive not got a problem with the film exploring the patriarchy.
but it basically has characters repeat THE PATRIARCHY several times, as they obv couldnt find a way to do it without making it explicit.
maybe that IS the best way to do it, to name it, but thats fine for a debate. in a film, i didnt really want it that heavyhanded and preachy.
esp not a film that was sold as a great, fun movie.
These rote parts were very frustrating and hearing middle aged women cackle and slap their thighs in the cinema made me feel sick

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
They're going to run it into the ground like they do everything. Apparently Mattel have a ton of films lined up based on their products. This is the next thing after superheroes, like I said in 'Culture as Advertising'.
Some of the film ideas are hilarious, though. Uno was a heist movie set in Atlanta's hip hop scene, starring Lil Yachty. (That one got cancelled)

I like the idea of toys that have almost no backstory getting movies. What other products would you all like to see as movies? How about a movie about silly string?

rubberdingyrapids

an accurate review-
But while “Barbie” is wildly ambitious in an exciting way, it’s also frustratingly uneven at times. After coming on strong with wave after wave of zippy hilarity, the film drags in the middle as it presents its more serious themes. It’s impossible not to admire how Gerwig is taking a big swing with heady notions during the mindless blockbuster season, but she offers so many that the movie sometimes stops in its propulsive tracks to explain itself to us—and then explain those points again and again. The breezy, satirical edge she established off the top was actually a more effective method of conveying her ideas about the perils of toxic masculinity and entitlement and the power of female confidence and collaboration.

One character delivers a lengthy, third-act speech about the conundrum of being a woman and the contradictory standards to which society holds us. The middle-aged mom in me was nodding throughout in agreement, feeling seen and understood, as if this person knew me and was speaking directly to me. But the longtime film critic in me found this moment a preachy momentum killer—too heavy-handed, too on-the-nose, despite its many insights.

maxi

Barbie is brilliant. I was surprised by how good it was and how funny and not-annoying. the heavy handedness of the politics is part of the joke - barbie and ken are interacting with the real world for the first time so everything they say is matter of fact and heavy handed - (e.g. "I'm getting a strange feeling, it's like fear but with no specific object" or "I do not have a vagina") and the same when they discover 'the patriarchy' - that's why it works

it's definitely a film that wants to have its cake and eat it, but it pulls it off because the jokes hit the mark consistently. loved the visual style too, it's a great looking film which I don't often think about new films

also it's been great to have a big summer blockbuster out that everyone is seeing, selling out everywhere, was hard to even get tickets, with a real palpable energy in the cinema and even in the lobby before with loads of people dressed up in pink, taking pictures in barbie booths they've set up etc... it was a cult film before anyone even saw it, but the cult is most of the public

maxi

One character delivers a lengthy, third-act speech about the conundrum of being a woman and the contradictory standards to which society holds us. The middle-aged mom in me was nodding throughout in agreement, feeling seen and understood, as if this person knew me and was speaking directly to me. But the longtime film critic in me found this moment a preachy momentum killer—too heavy-handed, too on-the-nose, despite its many insights.
Kind of agree with this though, that bit was a bit too on the nose. but that was p much the only misfire

rubberdingyrapids

Barbie is brilliant. I was surprised by how good it was and how funny and not-annoying. the heavy handedness of the politics is part of the joke - barbie and ken are interacting with the real world for the first time so everything they say is matter of fact and heavy handed - (e.g. "I'm getting a strange feeling, it's like fear but with no specific object" or "I do not have a vagina") and the same when they discover 'the patriarchy' - that's why it works

i like this explanation, im just not sure it was consistent enough, or effective, in the way you often get in films where an alien comes down to earth in the body of a human, etc etc. but yeah, its cool to watch a film pretty much everyone else is also watching, makes a change to see a proper event movie.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Fancy going to the cinema and haven't decided what to see yet but I messaged a few people about availability. All the men replied saying "Oppenheimer right?".

version

In Japan, however, this jubilant fusion, including “Barbenheimer” double features and online mash-ups of Barbie’s pink fantasia with images of Oppenheimer-era nuclear explosions, have been met with a very different response: anger.

For days, Twitter users in Japan, where nuclear bombings by the U.S. military during World War II killed hundreds of thousands of people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, have been spreading the hash tag #NoBarbenheimer.

And on Monday, the backlash ignited a rare display of internal Hollywood corporate discord, as the Japanese subsidiary of Warner Bros. criticized its headquarters’ handling of social media for the “Barbie” movie.

Anger Over ‘Barbenheimer’ in Nuclear-Scarred Japan

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
ryan gosling is the best comedic actor of our time
He really is perfect for roles like this, EG The Nice Guys. He and Clooney are great comedic leading men, in my opinion. They can both strike the right balance of bumbling and charismatic. Clooney especially I think follows well in the footsteps of Cary Grant. He even does a lot of the same bumbling facial expression stuff.

version

giphy.gif

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Actually Gosling and Clooney could make for a great recasting of Stewart and Grant in A Philadelphia Story, ideally if they were closer in age. I'd like to see someone other than Julia Roberts as the Hepburn character though. Maybe Jessica Chastain, but I don't know if she can play that hammy goddess type.