Tics, Body Language

version

Reading DeLillo's Americana atm and one of the things he does is zero in on and mystify stuff like the way a character's father taps his elbow with a certain finger whenever he's saying something important. Similar to Ballard's search for geometry in body parts.

How big a believer are you in body language?

version

Something like struggling to maintain eye contact due to nervousness seems pretty obvious, but I'm not convinced by claims of folded arms being defensive.

Reactions: sus

luka

probably. i don't really notice it though. im not really looking very closely. i think the way people hold themselves and move through the world can often give you a sense of their attitude towards the world
defiant, or whatever. the more granular stuff you're talking about i don't know really

version

It's part of treating the world like a text. Everything made up of signs and symbols to be decoded.

version

Another angle's the possession one. We've talked before about Burroughs and William F. Buckley's facial tics. Lizard tongue and rictus grin.

linebaugh

I dont think Im necessarily a nervous person but I have loads of these. I fuck with my hair so much I have to wear a hat to stop. I pick at my skin and crack my knuckles incessantly. my wife says Im awful to go to a restaurant with because my heads always darting back to the kitchen every time someone exits there. I used to pace constantly to the bane of former roomates. When i was younger teachers thought I was either cheating on exams or simply autistic because I would contort around in my chair so much.

sus

I think that you can learn to read these things and pick up real information, I also think that easy, generic, super-legible rules like "crossed arms = x" are gonna be wrong more often than not, because most gestures can mean a lot of different things depending on context, and fluent reading is about this really complex, almost sub-conscious computing of how the whole fabric of interknit gestures forms a coherent whole.