Tics, Body Language

I now notice a few a lot more because I can see myself on zoom at work. Biting the side of my finger while I think really smart stuff really hard, brushing my hair back. I sometimes see myself do something and then I realise I use that to semi consciously communicate something to people. I do think we’re giving these signals off and picking them up all the time yeah

I think that you can learn to read these things and pick up real information, I also think that easy, generic, super-legible rules like "crossed arms = x" are gonna be wrong more often than not, because most gestures can mean a lot of different things depending on context, and fluent reading is about this really complex, almost sub-conscious computing of how the whole fabric of interknit gestures forms a coherent whole.
It’s a very vague and variable language but you’re always taking some meaning from it

Reactions: sus

sufi

lala
youre probably just trying to manipulate them it's not really submissive at all
it's true there's a whole interplay of communications that happen in a convo thru those movements and gestures and i'm not even talking about waving your hands about when you speak, though that is a good tactic to demonstrate that you are imparting visionary wisdom, or groping

and you can do it on zoom calls too, push up your specs and everyone else follows suit

waving your hands about when you speak, though that is a good tactic to demonstrate that you are imparting visionary wisdom
Oh fuck! I start to make a lot of gestures the more abstract I get, I thought I needed dynamic visual cues to illustrate my points but turns out I’m just trying to seem like some kind of wizard

linebaugh

This other American guy we know picked it up and was using it for ages thinking it just meant 'idiot'. He'd be leaving comments and Letterboxd reviews calling people nonces with no idea.

:ROFLMAO:
It works great for that purpose too though. Its a great word. Im 'soft launching' it into my irl vocab

version

Critical theorist's hand is a classic.

Michel-Foucault.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: sus
I love it when people talk with their hands tbf it’s captivating, especially with well articulated technical stuff