Tales from the scene

sus

Enlighten me. Tell us how it really works. You are claiming there is not a recycling of micro units within their improvisation of new macro structures? I just find this hard to believe, given it's how every other form of improvisation (e.g. jazz) works. You build up a corpus of licks.

sus

I'm not saying it's bad! I'm just saying that I've read that poem before, at least many of its ideas and fragments. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying it shouldnt go in the Heronbone canon because it's essentially a self-pastiche of previous poems

craner

Beast of Burden
I can't really get used to Suspended Reason's new name, it's like when they changed Bumblebee to Goldbug

Benny Bunter

I'm not saying it's bad! I'm just saying that I've read that poem before, at least many of its ideas and fragments. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying it shouldnt go in the Heronbone canon because it's essentially a self-pastiche of previous poems
I agree, nothing wrong with that spice girls poem, but the really good stuff is in the Poems book and these new snazzy jazz prose poem ones.

It's obvious that there's gonna be a big difference in quality between made to order material and stuff that you really want to do that emerges from yourself.

That said, there may well be hundreds of tossed off mini-masterpieces out there stuck up on people's fridges that we'll never get to read.

luka

your right that it is not very good and that it does not go in the canon. youre right that it is constructed of licks. it's not self-pastiche as much as it is hack work

luka

but it is also a fairly deft hack at work, albeit not particularly interested in the task at hand

luka

gus is right that it becomes increasingly difficult to improvise when you spend your life improvising. its hard to find something new. i write 1000s of love poems. how do you keep it fresh? sometimes, often, you cant

luka

um, this year for the first time i have felt a bit like that weirdly, cos i took the whole winter off on the boats but yesterday for the first time they were really annoying me. maybe i was just in a funny mood but this whole summer the vibe has been off. its a moody summer in the uk

Well what I’m saying is that sometimes the best art can be the virtuoso doing goofy or cliche. When the greatness bleeds through patterns and expectation, the spilling over thing … relaxed and playful you know

Reactions: sus