futurelessness

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
i don't think it has a central db (even a decentralised one) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActivityPub
Oh cool, this is what undergirds Mastodon then. Yeah this seems similar to Lens, Lens just has all these additional monetization aspects (EG posts are tokenized and can be bought and sold on primary and secondary markets, and can be integrated into smart contracts). But I think the actual infrastructure is a lot more important than the monetization stuff, even though the monetization stuff does have cool implications for independent content creators and musicians and whatnot.

sufi

lala
I see there are some discussions about connecting xenforo (which runs this place) to the fediverse, not gonna hold my breath tho, tumblr also said they would get that together

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I see there are some discussions about connecting xenforo (which runs this place) to the fediverse, not gonna hold my breath tho, tumblr also said they would get that together
Any idea how the operational costs are facilitated for infrastructure like this? Not sure if these networks are peer-to-peer or not, and I still don't have a solid understanding of computer networking.

sufi

lala
Any idea how the operational costs are facilitated for infrastructure like this? Not sure if these networks are peer-to-peer or not, and I still don't have a solid understanding of computer networking.
server space is cheap and it's all distributed - loads of small mastodon installs for e.g.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
obvs adding threads to this equation is a big 🤷‍♂️
Could something like this mean there could be "forks" of Threads, such that Meta controls the main instance but there could be a plurality of instances? Or would Threads somehow remain under federal control of Meta?

sufi

lala
Could something like this mean there could be "forks" of Threads, such that Meta controls the main instance but there could be a plurality of instances? Or would Threads somehow remain under federal control of Meta?
only if they open source the threads software i guess which i don't think is on the cards

sufi

lala

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
only if they open source the threads software i guess which i don't think is on the cards
Yeah I'm not sure if there is a way that could make sense, business-wise, unless Meta was just going to invest in a super high-quality UX for their instance of Threads - but even there, not sure if thats viable business-wise, especially at that scale.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The idea of being able to take your posts "across" a variety of platforms on the internet is really interesting to me - in a way it could redefine this concept of a digital nomad. I think the most important thing is that the protocols are open-source and the network is peer-to-peer or similarly distributed. I am still a fan of all the composability of smart contracts on blockchain, but admittedly crypto at large attracts a lot of grifters and that definitely complicates matters for the worse.

sufi

lala
Yeah I'm not sure if there is a way that could make sense, business-wise, unless Meta was just going to invest in a super high-quality UX for their instance of Threads - but even there, not sure if thats viable business-wise, especially at that scale.
well they are already paying for a gigantic server somewhere to host threads, they can throw some ads on there as usual if they need to make money on it. butthey don't they are absolutely rolling in $$$, so the economics are all skewed
Google open sourced chrome, so why not ....

sufi

lala
The idea of being able to take your posts "across" a variety of platforms on the internet is really interesting to me - in a way it could redefine this concept of a digital nomad. I think the most important thing is that the protocols are open-source and the network is peer-to-peer or similarly distributed. I am still a fan of all the composability of smart contracts on blockchain, but admittedly crypto at large attracts a lot of grifters and that definitely complicates matters for the worse.
the scope is inspiring, so the bigtech lads are all over monetising it

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
well they are already paying for a gigantic server somewhere to host threads, they can throw some ads on there as usual if they need to make money on it. butthey don't they are absolutely rolling in $$$, so the economics are out all skewed
Google open sourced chrome, so why not ....
Yeah I'm starting to become a believer in this _____-as-a-service business model built atop some given open-source software. Meta could maybe do analytics or social promotion as a service.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah I'm starting to become a believer in this _____-as-a-service business model built atop some given open-source software. Meta could maybe do analytics or social promotion as a service.
One could see, at least to some extent, how something like this could work for Meta. If they keep the devs in-house who made Threads, they'd arguably have the makings for a world-class analytics firm to draw from the data of Threads, and Threads would probably be enriched in terms of data volume by being open-sourced, no? Meta would just have to give up the lucrative position of being able to control, to whatever degree, what information gets to flow through Threads, and I'm not sure if there is a more lucrative alternative.

sufi

lala
One could see, at least to some extent, how something like this could work for Meta. If they keep the devs in-house who made Threads, they'd arguably have the makings for a world-class analytics firm to draw from the data of Threads, and Threads would probably be enriched in terms of data volume by being open-sourced, no? Meta would just have to give up the lucrative position of being able to control, to whatever degree, what information gets to flow through Threads, and I'm not sure if there is a more lucrative alternative.
heh, that's another interesting topic - yknow google analytics which tracks most websites just did an upgrade which involves shedding all the historical data. I'm wondering a. have they got fed up with hosting absolutley enormous amounts of website logs? b. what are they gonna do with that dataset = 10+ years of detailed stats on the majority (?) of web traffic?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
heh, that's another interesting topic - yknow google analytics which tracks most websites just did an upgrade which involves shedding all the historical data. I'm wondering a. have they got fed up with hosting absolutley enormous amounts of website logs? b. what are they gonna do with that dataset = 10+ years of detailed stats on the majority (?) of web traffic?
Haha they probably have the freedom, through whatever terms users have agreed to, and by virtue of the regulatory vacuum around AI, to just pump all that stuff into their AI training. Apparently Zoom's terms of service allows them to use facial data and pretty much everything else for AI training, but I haven't looked into that directly yet.

sufi

lala
analytics data is not really that valuable until its turned into dark ad patterns, and imho that business model is more than 50% fantasy.

the main thing that has happened is that fb & google have transformed the ad industry so that everything goes through them, they have so much cash sloshing around that it's not yet clear whether that is a sustainable modell, but well informed doubters in the industry are begginning to surface