linebaugh

One of the paradoxes of the 2020s is that it's much harder to lie about things so people tell more lies.
All the irony is gone. The 10s were defined by irony ('hipster' culture) and now wether one beleives in or takes seriously whatever ridiculous thing they are doing or faced with does not matter

maxi

everyone knows that everyones social media presence is a carefully cultivated image and not representative of reality, but it's not important anymore. only the image exists anyway, there is no real self underneath. it's like the destructive psychological effects of celebrity and the narcissism it fosters have spread to the public at large.

ofc this doesn't really apply to everyone but its a significant part of the culture

linebaugh

What do you mean? That moderate liberals, who have arguably been the target audience of social justice discourse and messaging, are somewhat reverting back to less woke, more moderate viewpoints? It kinda seems like that, from my perspective, but I don't know if I'm just projecting.
i think there was generally a sense that even if political institutions had failed to acheive anything with fiscal policy and wealth/class concerns, there was still a sense of legitimate social progress- gay marriage, obamas presidency and campaign, media representation, the parts of the internet that bigots were on were truly unbeknownst to the public and those that were platformed seemed merely cartoonish sideshows. And there definitley was legitimate social progress, but now that the minutae of truly everyones thoughts are online (not just the more select 'online' group of the 10s) we see that there are still nagging doubts in individuals. Progress looks more like acceptance, possibly aquiessence. Theres still dormant reactionary impulse to be harvested and cultivated into mass movement

sus

I agree with you though Linebaugh, but it's interesting that the opposite take (gen-z is uniquely ironic) went viral in criticism twitter this week.

There is probably a self-defensiveness against prevailing seriousness that Berrelli is responding to

linebaugh

I agree with you though Linebaugh, but it's interesting that the opposite take (gen-z is uniquely ironic) went viral in criticism twitter this week.

There is probably a self-defensiveness against prevailing seriousness that Berrelli is responding to
I agree with the thread to an extent, I just dont think whats happening is that people are hiding themselves behind 'hundreds of layers of irony.' I dont think gen z is engaging with the labels in the same way millenials did in 10's, the processing is different

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I agree with the thread to an extent, I just dont think whats happening is that people are hiding themselves behind 'hundreds of layers of irony.' I dont think gen z is engaging with the labels in the same way millenials did in 10's, the processing is different

Irony-rooted detachment is the default stance. But it's so long ingrained at this point that people have forgotten what they were being ironic about. It's baked in.

mixed_biscuits

Populism doesn't quite capture it because it's not necessarily about the rise and fall of specific parties or individuals or even a kind of neo-populism that can be defined by academics. It is more about a general reaction to the exposure and failures of the 9/11 wars and the repercussions of the 2008 financial crisis: ultimately, the destruction of the orthodoxies of liberalism and free market economics combined with the destruction of the concept of objectivity and faith in a shared concept of truth on a popular, instinctive level.

Conspiracy theories, "alternative facts", accessible fringe media supplanting mainstream channels, the scrambling of established political categories, etc.: all of these things are visible and gestating in the 2010s, but they are not quite of it.
The political wings have exchanged philosophies. Rightist conspiracy theorising is post-modern, relativistic, forever in flux while leftist cancel culture moralising is objective, pantemporal and panspatial.

linebaugh

Ya the irony looks exactly the same which is why its confusing but irony as play with what is and isnt serious is gone. To play the generation game, I think gen z uses their symbols to signal to others who they are, what group they belong too, and what they find cool as opposed to millenial irony as a signal to what one finds stupid, fake, and what groups one does not belong to.

craner

Beast of Burden
The political wings have exchanged philosophies. Rightist conspiracy theorising is post-modern relativistic forever in flux while leftist cancel culture moralising is objective pantemporal and panspatial.

In terms of "leftist cancel culture" though you're talking about an institutional response that enforces political philosophies rooted in relativism.

mixed_biscuits

This doesn't seem to be true, in my experience! People pay lip service but that doesn't mean anything. It's just noise. Real estate prices in flood-prone areas of NYC, for instance, haven't budged (nor has NYC real estate generally). If people actually believed in inevitable catastrophic climate change, there'd be mass migrations and major economic crashes right now as people dropped threatened assets.

(This is all separate from whether catastrophic climate change is inevitable.)
By revealed preferences an American civil war is far more likely.