The Media Controls Your Mind

luka

the idea of mind control has come back into fashion with social media and that. everyone thinks everyone else is brainwashed by the weird shit theyve been looking at on the internet. i remember being a bit put out when after i decided to get into sherry i saw a poster in a window saying it was sherry week. either synchroncity or mind control there. turns out sherry tastes disgusting anyway.

luka

when i read version there saying the NYT has brainwashed the Youth into gender wars i did reflect on the fact that all the white men i know feel unwanted by society. granted they're all abject failures which doesn't help. but theres this pervasive sense of being rejected, of being obsolete, relics, an embaressment. the messaging has definitely got through. so that's some effective media mind control.

luka

i did this thread 6 years ago but it wasn't very good, just me and droid advocating mass murder. we were in a bloodthirsty phase.

woops

is not like other people
but theres this pervasive sense of being rejected, of being obsolete, relics, an embaressment. the messaging has definitely got through. so that's some effective media mind control.
this is the single constant theme of dissensus from k-punk through to now. it's the only topic ever discussed on this forum

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
version Well-known member

Yeah, I've seen this suggested before. There are a bunch of graphics around which claim mentions of sexism, racism, etc. suddenly exploded in publications like the New York Times just after Occupy.
]

the mafia control the police.

the mafia does the dirty work of the state.

The media obeys like a good puppy.

version

It's a loop, like Burroughs says. We're bounced between the most extreme messages and examples of any given group and it can lead to a warped, hysterical view of the world. Some of the people working in media perhaps being the most hysterical of all as they spend their lives totally immersed in it and the model necessitates living on a knife edge.

shakahislop

the idea of mind control has come back into fashion with social media and that. everyone thinks everyone else is brainwashed by the weird shit theyve been looking at on the internet.
a lot of this i think comes from the fact that by this point more or less all of us have internet-generated opinions that we've come to regret, and we're getting more attuned to seeing it happen in others

version

a lot of this i think comes from the fact that by this point more or less all of us have internet-generated opinions that we've come to regret, and we're getting more attuned to seeing it happen in others

Someone was complaining about this re: the Red Scare girls the other day. Said they recently got on Twitter and realised how many of their opinions were recycled from people in their feed.

It's what @sus was talking about yesterday. Everyone's a node in a network.

mixed_biscuits

when i read version there saying the NYT has brainwashed the Youth into gender wars i did reflect on the fact that all the white men i know feel unwanted by society. granted they're all abject failures which doesn't help. but theres this pervasive sense of being rejected, of being obsolete, relics, an embaressment. the messaging has definitely got through. so that's some effective media mind control.
When are they gonna man up and start wearing 'male, pale and stale' t-shirts as a point of pride.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's a loop, like Burroughs says. We're bounced between the most extreme messages and examples of any given group and it can lead to a warped, hysterical view of the world. Some of the people working in media perhaps being the most hysterical of all as they spend their lives totally immersed in it and the model necessitates living on a knife edge.
And the echo-chamber effect means the people who have (or purport to have) the most extreme opinions often get the most likes/upvotes/shares/retweets. This polarization between in-group and out-group means you can agree with 95% of what someone says, but they'll home in on the 5% and use that as a reason to brand you a cucked soyboy libtard/Zionist Nazi incel, depending on which tribe they identify with.

mixed_biscuits

Hypnosis (all communication is hypnosis to some degree) instrumentalises an authority gap: if you are led to believe that the communicator has greater authority then the message has correspondingly greater impact. For this reason a bulwark against subliminal or other messaging is to develop a strong sense of self and mind which does not easily accept the notion of a decisive superiority in others. Notice how portentous and slick and professional the TV news looks, despite the fact it's only 1 or 2 average people reading simple things that may or may not be true about subjects on which they have no particular expertise - why is it presented like this rather than with more humility (perhaps more how the news was done 50 years ago).

version

You're in a double bind with this stuff as restricting your consumption inevitably leads to the echo chamber and a narrowed perception of the world, but opening it up's like trying to drink a waterfall and can leave you little more than a husk, stretched too thin and regurgitating information with no room for thoughts of your own.

Some people just don't care and never bother with news and commentary and are perhaps better off for it, at least in an ignorance is bliss sense. But I get the impression a lot of people are perpetually riding the spectrum, consuming too much 'content', pulling back, then diving back in.

Reactions: sus

mixed_biscuits

You're in a double bind with this stuff as restricting your consumption inevitably leads to the echo chamber and a narrowed perception of the world, but opening it up's like trying to drink a waterfall and can leave you little more than a husk, stretched too thin and regurgitating information with no room for thoughts of your own.

Some people just don't care and never bother with news and commentary and are perhaps better off for it, at least in an ignorance is bliss sense. But I get the impression a lot of people are perpetually riding the spectrum, consuming too much 'content', pulling back, then diving back in.
There is another option: read the classic texts and then follow your nose through others to build up a personal philosophy which you then use as a yardstick against which to measure the latest emissions if you ever feel like dipping in. Given the respective filtering, or absence of it, you should be able to cut what is flavour of the month down to size in no short order and do so in a way that is particular to you.

version

There is another option: read the classic texts and then follow your nose through others to build up a personal philosophy which you then use as a yardstick against which to measure the latest emissions if you ever feel like dipping in. Given the respective filtering, or absence of it, you should be able to cut what is flavour of the month down to size in no short order and do so in a way that is particular to you.

Which would fall somewhere on the spectrum I just mentioned rather than being another option.

luka

version liked 'UK Bass' for instance