The Media Controls Your Mind

mixed_biscuits

I thought Beiser cleared this all up for you but apparently you want to be thick on purpose. This is propaganda produced by Big Tech to make you think they're brilliant. They are in fact impotent and their algorithms are incredibly dumb and barely work. People sit on Facebook all day because they're lazy and they like staring at screens, we've known this since 1950, nothing is new
Yes, but Dissensus is also on a screen but there are at least three times as many people on Facebook as on here.

mixed_biscuits

For instance, my NLP book claims that a phobia cure requires only _one_ session and gives the entire process. Just reading about the process without actually fully doing it noticeably reduced a particular phobia of mine. That gives it some credibility, in my eyes.

Furthermore, if they were just trying to milk the vulnerable of cash, a one-session cure is not optimal!

There are other NLP claims that are prima facie plausible eg. bias in thinking towards particular sensory modalities...not least as it is known that people vary individually in the extent to which they experience each one eg. some people can't create mental images.

sus

You're not being serious because you're not providing any evidence.
This is like asking for a reference on anthropogenic global warming, or whether there were chemical weapons in Iraq. There's a massive Wikipedia article and hundreds of scholarly papers; if you wanna do a literature review be my guest.

Yes, any pseudoscientific field will make many true but weaker claims that supplement its stronger-but-untrue claims. Yes, there's plenty of reasonable and useful stuff in Neuro Linguistic Programming (can we please not call it NLP? there's a much better established academic field already called NLP, altho arguably its theories are equally fake). But those ideas can all be found in other fields which do not additionally sell falsehood to self-help audiences for a profit.

germaphobian

I thought Beiser cleared this all up for you but apparently you want to be thick on purpose. This is propaganda produced by Big Tech to make you think they're brilliant. They are in fact impotent and their algorithms are incredibly dumb and barely work. People sit on Facebook all day because they're lazy and they like staring at screens, we've known this since 1950, nothing is new

What about all those weirdo TikTok chalenges where people eat poo and drink washing liquids or whatever just to get few likes? I mean, that's not something people naturally like to do (provided they're not Germans). Nothing to do with algorhithm?
The laziness aspect is also somewhat dubious since again, some clout chasers are willing to go halfway across the globe just to make a shitty Instagram picture.
I agree though that algorithms are dumb in that very basic sense - and that is exactly why they make everyone salivate.

sus

Mixed, you think that there's been a one-session cure for phobias, lying around unused since the 70s, and no one's thought to replicate it and publish the findings in a journal? You're even more gullible than droid.

sus

What about all those weirdo TikTok chalenges where people eat poo and drink washing liquids or whatever just to get few likes? I mean, that's not something people naturally like to do (provided they're not Germans). Nothing to do with algorhithm?
Yes, it has nothing to do with the algorithms and everything to do with people wanting social approval or clout, which is not something innovated or controlled by tech companies. People do stupid shit for social approval on this board constantly; it isn't because of how Sufi rigged the xenforo settings.

mixed_biscuits

Yes, any pseudoscientific field will make many true but weaker claims that supplement its stronger-but-untrue claims. Yes, there's plenty of reasonable and useful stuff in Neuro Linguistic Programming (can we please not call it NLP? there's a much better established academic field already called NLP, altho arguably its theories are equally fake). But those ideas can all be found in other fields which do not additionally sell falsehood to self-help audiences for a profit.

There is no field that isn't in part untrue. What you're trying to do is throw the baby out with the bathwater. Just focus on the bathwater and tell us which bits are the bad bits.

'Pseudoscience' is a midwit epithet - don't use it.

mixed_biscuits

Mixed, you think that there's been a one-session cure for phobias, lying around unused since the 70s, and no one's thought to replicate it and publish the findings in a journal? You're even more gullible than droid.
Where's the debunking study on this claimed cure?

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
No it isn't this has been debunked he performs standard stage magic with the NLP framing as a way to sell tickets
You're nearly right. The truth is that he's literally telepathic, but pretends to do it all as 'cold reading' and so on because it's more interesting that way.