The Media Controls Your Mind

shakahislop

See, glass @mixed_biscuits

@shakahislop what level of assimilation into US culture do you think you're at? Did it level off previously or are their new insights you still gleam as time passes
i don't think it ever ends. haven't made much of an effort to assimilate but its happening naturally.

one thing that's not about assimilation but which is about adaptation is that the very direct no nonsense nyc thing translates to being very rude in most places, i have to be careful about that every time i leave.

luka

im very charming and not hugely powerful in the context of global politics so your theory seems to stand up

i think it reveals a sort of lack or a kind of sadness. some libidinal need that the ideas are filling. one thing that does seem quite empowering for loads of people is the discovery that some of the things they are experiencing on a day to day basis are i) shared by other people and / or ii) not their fault, ie are some kind of 'structural' force that they are subject to. for me reading k punk on the wounds of class helped me understand a lot and was genuinely helpful. i see a lot of women benefiting from a similar thing when feminism dawns on them. it seems like a clear parallel. but it comes from a hurt place. and then of course one thing that absolutely everyone is doing is going overboard into these realizations and having their wounds soothed by them

yes I go into this in the conspiracy thread. That most people approach the problem as informational but it’s rooted in the emotional (both really, information and it’s excess as pain and a certain kind of information and storytelling as opiate) the addiction model applies. Luke repeatedly tries to shut me down because he doesn’t actually want to curb this kind of thing if anything he wants to whip up the storm

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Leon Krier had a lot to say on this

Frh3dmJWIAIAY5W

GD0qgIXXcAAnxep

FmiOjQvaUAAA-Sh
Not familiar with Krier, but these drawings are amazing.

Also, slight tangent and I know I’m repeating myself a lot but with the kind of celebration of binging and obsession we se me a lot these days I AM OBSESSED, and with the conspiracy thing you see a devotional drive it’s a yearning for a religious connection nearly, to be held in a compelling story and feel a kind of communion

version

one thing that does seem quite empowering for loads of people is the discovery that some of the things they are experiencing on a day to day basis are i) shared by other people and / or ii) not their fault, ie are some kind of 'structural' force that they are subject to... i see a lot of women benefiting from a similar thing when feminism dawns on them. it seems like a clear parallel. but it comes from a hurt place. and then of course one thing that absolutely everyone is doing is going overboard into these realizations and having their wounds soothed by them at the expense of a less self-centered worldview

There's a darkside inversion of this where the guys falling into the Tate thing find in feminism a structural force they can blame.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a darkside inversion of this where the guys falling into the Tate thing find in feminism a structural force they can blame.
That's true, but it can also been as a flipside to the feminist tendency to blame any and all problems men complain about on "toxic masculinity." In either case it's an abdication of thinking to blame everything on a simplistic bogeyman (or bogeywoman, as the case may be).