The Media Controls Your Mind

Leon Krier had a lot to say on this

Frh3dmJWIAIAY5W

GD0qgIXXcAAnxep

FmiOjQvaUAAA-Sh

mixed_biscuits

biscuits is a genius and he's totally correct again in as much as the eye delights in detail and novelty. where there is redundancy it switches off and space becomes a kind of blank. you get that in berlin where there is a lot of regularity. it's becoming a problem in London too where whole blocks are demolished to be replaced with sheets of blue glass.
Overstimulation is aggressive while understimulation is passive-aggressive - both modern tendencies are meant to impress the observer by depriving them of pleasure rather than providing a surfeit thereof

mixed_biscuits

Architects nowadays aren't confident that they can impress through an excess of pleasure so they do the opposite and pretend that they're doing so by choice for ['good reason'] rather than faute de mieux

Same thing in other visual arts too obv

ghost

I'm assuming he meant 'modern' in the everyday sense of 'contemporary', as opposed to modernist, which is pretty old hat by now.
He's welcome to use words that mean what he's trying to say. The frequent references to glass made me believe he's got a grudge against the international style, and doesn't have much of a theory of architecture with finer distinctions.

I'll agree that there are many problems with the scale of many recent buildings, but again—Mr Biscuits is an adult, he can make the argument he wants to make.

mixed_biscuits

He's welcome to use words that mean what he's trying to say. The frequent references to glass made me believe he's got a grudge against the international style, and doesn't have much of a theory of architecture with finer distinctions.

I'll agree that there are many problems with the scale of many recent buildings, but again—Mr Biscuits is an adult, he can make the argument he wants to make.
What references to glass??

shakahislop

I was looking at the Summit in new york yesterday, it's pure glass, massive hulking thing, i resented it when it first went up but it looked cool yesterday