thirdform

pass the sick bucket
should have thought to add to my earlier post re:tonality "For some reason soul + disco are different"

Soul, Disco and to an extent jazz are closer to Eastern and African sources. Even classic rock is, before the 80s jangle poppers ruined it. In this sense it wouldn't be too hyperbolic to claim contra @Corpsey - that the later beatles were the worst thing to happen to music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I said I like that stuff I just found it interesting that kids in america grow up with a natural repulsion to it while the opposite seemed to happen for gen x british kids

what's repulsive, exactly, about a good melody, good funky beats, and a belting diva vocal?

I should have asked you to explain the amrikan worldview in that thread but seen as we're at it explain it to me like I'm a five year old on reddit.

linebaugh

what's repulsive, exactly, about a good melody, good funky beats, and a belting diva vocal?

I should have asked you to explain the amrikan worldview in that thread but seen as we're at it explain it to me like I'm a five year old on reddit.
As danny explained it- good melody, funky beats and divas are actually quite rare in the gutter culture of the UK and thus it becomes other and exciting and edgy. Here in america it has none of that edge and thus kids will hate it

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
As danny explained it- good melody, funky beats and divas are actually quite rare in the gutter culture of the UK and thus it becomes other and exciting and edgy. Here in america it has none of that edge and thus kids will hate it

not convinced by this. Punk does not exist in Kurdistan or Pakistan unless you are urbanised and in touch with the international market. The edgey kid cannot be a universal archetype. What about those on the traktor farms in the villages? hmmm?

linebaugh

not convinced by this. Punk does not exist in Kurdistan or Pakistan unless you are urbanised and in touch with the international market. The edgey kid cannot be a universal archetype. What about those on the traktor farms in the villages? hmmm?
Not sure what your saying here. Im saying american kids dont find divas to be edgy because its not seen to be this exotic thing like you might if your from the uk.

linebaugh

Which was what danny said. He said growing up in perpetual gray skys having never seen a black person and under the constant temptation to fuck sheep made this ultra colorful diva music coming from across the pond feel dangerous and exciting

linebaugh

Im not sure thats what makes that type of music initially revolting to american teens though. It being mainstream is definitely part of it but not the whole story