thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Not sure what your saying here. Im saying american kids dont find divas to be edgy because its not seen to be this exotic thing like you might if your from the uk.

I'm asking why music needs to be edgey. it's very stupid. I never believed in teenage idiot energy. something padraig used to wax lyrical about. totally mystifies me.

In fact, I listened to a lot of moronic music as a teenager to look cool in friend groups, whereas my taste in my early childhood was much more in accord with my 20s and 30s. Much more watertight.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Which was what danny said. He said growing up in perpetual gray skys having never seen a black person and under the constant temptation to fuck sheep made this ultra colorful diva music coming from across the pond feel dangerous and exciting

He said no such thing, he was talking about the class stratified radio and mainstream musical context, you daft hamburger fool. and I think you have a bizarre idea of growing up in essex. I mean you would go into london to the mixed soul/rare groove clubs where there would def be black people. plus he himself is mixed race. Why are you being like gus now and trying to disavow the racism and lack of elegance of American
teens? This isn't some provincial village in Wales like craner, its right on the outskirts of London.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
what do american kids in the rust belt listen to? I bet it's coldplay, which is even less edgey. Jonathan Linebaugh has failed in his exposition, lamentably.

linebaugh

I'm asking why music needs to be edgey. it's very stupid. I never believed in teenage idiot energy. something padraig used to wax lyrical about. totally mystifies me.

In fact, I listened to a lot of moronic music as a teenager to look cool in friend groups, whereas my taste in my early childhood was much more in accord with my 20s and 30s. Much more watertight.
Well children are stupid third. I dont know why but thats just the case.

linebaugh

what do american kids in the rust belt listen to? I bet it's coldplay, which is even less edgey. Jonathan Linebaugh has failed in his exposition, lamentably.
I havent failed my exposition i am just telling you what real human american children listened to when I was a child. Theres no opinion offered this is pure anthropology

linebaugh

He said no such thing, he was talking about the class stratified radio and mainstream musical context, you daft hamburger fool. and I think you have a bizarre idea of growing up in essex. I mean you would go into london to the mixed soul/rare groove clubs where there would def be black people. plus he himself is mixed race. Why are you being like gus now and trying to disavow the racism and lack of elegance of American
teens? This isn't some provincial village in Wales like craner, its right on the outskirts of London.
He litterally says it right here jn the first sentence - 'anti hegemonic' - you drooling dribbling idiot

In a lot of ways when I first heard it for definite, just as rap was, this music was anti-hegemonic, though it would never have discussed itself in that way. It was black music first and foremost, and as such wasn't played or heard on mainstream radio or TV, you had to seek it out. It was largely heard on pirate radio or small shows squeezed into a mainstream station's programming. It's fanbase was mostly working class, and that's a huge component in England. Indie music/guitar music was for middle class cunts and wankers, the sort of people you'd give a shoeing to if you ever met them, which you rarely did. I mentioned upthread the crossover this this sort of stuff and football hooliganism. It's music for dancing and pulling. Me and a few mates always used to joke we'd never hear the end of "Somebody's Else Guy" by Jocelyn Brown when we were out 'cos a table would always be getting turned over, and someone would be shouting "Wayne! Leave him! He's not worth it!"

That all started to change in England when the brighter working class kids started going off to University en masse but that was a 90s phenomena really, one accentuated by the Blair years. I'm old enough to be talking from an 80s perspective which is when I came of age.

So one of the things you identified with listening to this stuff was it wasn't the mainstream at the time - that's probably less true with Anita Baker than other stuff in the thread tbh.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
He litterally says it right here jn the first sentence - 'anti hegemonic' - you drooling dribbling idiot

Exactly, anti-hegemonic. The Hegemony was The Smiths, the Cure, The Bangles,

U2, Journey, R.E.M, Duran Duran, Roxette, etc etc.

Black people exist in the UK, you know.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
And if you were a bit left of field and listened to john peel you might be into the Jesus and Mary Chain, Spaceman III, that sort of thing. But Soul music was its own world. Not exotic, just its own thing. it had nothing to do with being exotic.

linebaugh

Exactly, anti-hegemonic. The Hegemony was The Smiths, the Cure, The Bangles,

U2, Journey, R.E.M, Duran Duran, Roxette, etc etc.

Black people exist in the UK, you know.
Yes this is what ive been saying third. Diva music is not anti hegemonic in the US because we dont care about the smiths the cure and all the other british bands you guys cared about. That stuff is reserved for cool college kids. And as such diva music is not edgy and hence the children dont like it. Do I need to mock up a chart for you ?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yes this is what ive been saying third. Diva music is not anti hegemonic in the US because we dont care about the smiths the cure and all the other british bands you gusy cared about. That stuff is reserved for cool college kids. And as such diva music is not edgy and hence the children dont like it. Do I need to mock up a chart for you ?

it's for cool college kids in this country as well!

That's my point! They monopolise the hegemony. I never heard a single smiths song until @blissblogger did sick disgusting mental tortures on me in bring the noise.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
just ask @luka - noone in London has heard a single smiths song before the Hertfordshire, Oxford, Cambridge massif forced it down our throats. The legal stations have never carried any relevance in london, even noone listened to london turkish radio on 1584 AM because it was shit. We opted for bizim on 104.2

linebaugh

it's for cool college kids in this country as well!

That's my point! They monopolise the hegemony. I never heard a single smiths song until @blissblogger did sick disgusting mental tortures on me in bring the noise.
Even still, no kid in america would feel divas are 'anti hegemonic' like danny does. I dont know why but its just the case. In america when I was kid that stuff was either music for parents or comedy music used to establish a silly mood in films . We liked my chemical romance and awful shit like that, thats what we thought of as edgy. I think the long standing tradition of critically acclaimed 'alternative' british guitar bands probably has something to do with the fact that this edge wouldnt translate in england but im not sure

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so basically you're saying in Amrica music tastes aren't class stratified and your suave sophisticated shirts n shoes guy who worked in the warehouse at the weekend listened to the ramones as well as your stockbroker and investment agent?

That sounds really boring! Even Julie Burchill thought punk was the most silly music ever but she wrote about it to shag Tony Parsons and the middle class NME tossers. She was actually a working class soul girl but the lure of cocaine arse sniffing took her up the duff.

What's the point of being into popular music, if you can't even bully your superiors for having insufficiently aristocratic taste? Pointless country!

Sidenote I like the Ramones but precisely because they're tossers music. They are a kind of pinnacle in that regard. Absolutely nothing edgey about them. good to have a few beers to. but I could easily never hear them again.

linebaugh

so basically you're saying in Amrica music tastes aren't class stratified and your suave sophisticated shirts n shoes guy who worked in the warehouse at the weekend listened to the ramones as well as your stockbroker and investment agent?
I have no idea how youve drawn that conclusion. I dont know anything about the class ramifications Im just saying if you are a 29 year old american theres a good chance you and all you peers were listening to my chemical romance and fall out boy when you were children and you probably hated glitzy pop music of the past like diva music

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I have no idea how youve drawn that conclusion. I dont know anything about the class ramifications Im just saying if you are a 29 year old american theres a good chance you and all you peers were listening to my chemical romance and fall out boy when you were children and you probably hated glitzy pop music of the past like diva music

Yes, those people exist in the UK! they are the enemy! why do you think we bullied gus so relentlessly about it? It's nothing to do with the exotic, it's about an aesthetic approach to life.

linebaugh

Yes, those people exist in the UK! they are the enemy! why do you think we bullied gus so relentlessly about it? It's nothing to do with the exotic, it's about an aesthetic approach to life.
Maybe they exist in the uk. Im just going off of what danny has told me. It makes sense to me- your country has 3% black people and all your musical idols look like accountants. Feels much more likely that for danny growing up when the biggest musical question in the UK was Blur vs Oasis that diva music feels exotic rarher than it being a unified nationalistic aesthetic approach

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Maybe they exist in the uk. Im just going off of what danny has told me. It makes sense to me- your country has 3% black people and all your musical idols look like accountants. Feels much more likely that for danny growing up when the biggest musical question in the UK was Blur vs Oasis that diva music feels exotic rarher than it being a unified nationalistic aesthetic approach

It's not my country. Also only London counts. forget the rest of the country. bristol, bradford, leeds, Brum etc get occasional passes. that's it. even Manchester is disqualified apart from Rochdale.