• The Death Dealer VI – 1996
  • From Dusk till Dawn – 1996

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

23!

View attachment 18028
These are interesting departures for him

Gus reading as the tramadol kicks in

portraits of a dorky white America essentially, tons of charm but you can feel a bubbling earnestness too and the cynic in me wants to push beyond surface

all that’s missing in the more cartoon realism formats is a bulbous WC Fields nose and a Henry Wallace for prez (see also Obama’s hope) pamphlet

incredible illustrations, seriously, as in defies credulity but the themes? no sense of WWI veteran blues or any societal register of defeat at points more indicative of those realities

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is a good one.

e564196681cadb64d49d218a39e680eb.jpg
Life goals.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've been trying to figure out what it is that I don't like about Rockwell. (Is it just that I feel I'm supposed not to like him? I looked him up and apparently the consensus has changed on him now and he's as likely to be bigged up by art critics as slagged off.)

I think there's something I don't like about the level of finish on Rockwell's paintings, a sort of photographic, almost hyperreal lucidity that (additionally) chimes weirdly, or horribly, with the cartoony expressions and the jokey situations. (And reminds me of many vintage book/movie covers and posters, I wonder if it's the material they used to produce work so fast?)

He falls between two stools — Daumier depicts cartoon people in 'telling' situations for satiric purposes, but his figures are properly cartoony, so it feels all of a piece

2a34d8_bc3a55002c2148499bd02a488a365417mv2-1.jpg

somebody like Velasquez (who i think of cos Rockwell is similarly good at capturing skin, fabric, facial expressions etc.) doesn't have his very realistic looking figures gurning and tottering around... But of course he wasn't a comic artist.

El_aguador_de_Sevilla%2C_por_Diego_Vel%C3%A1zquez.jpg

It's an uncanny valley. Not subtle enough and not cartoonish enough.

But again, that might be a way around working out why i don't like the hyper-detailed look of the Rockwells.

He's obviously incredibly talented, as is the other guy who draws nude women fighting snakes etc. And that brings up all sorts of interesting questions in my mind about why being incredibly talented isn't enough to be a high artist. Is being a high artist about something formal/material, or is it simply about sticking to the subject matter that's traditionally deemed 'high'?

linebaugh

I've been trying to figure out what it is that I don't like about Rockwell. (Is it just that I feel I'm supposed not to like him? I looked him up and apparently the consensus has changed on him now and he's as likely to be bigged up by art critics as slagged off.)

I think there's something I don't like about the level of finish on Rockwell's paintings, a sort of photographic, almost hyperreal lucidity that (additionally) chimes weirdly, or horribly, with the cartoony expressions and the jokey situations. (And reminds me of many vintage book/movie covers and posters, I wonder if it's the material they used to produce work so fast?)

He falls between two stools — Daumier depicts cartoon people in 'telling' situations for satiric purposes, but his figures are properly cartoony, so it feels all of a piece

somebody like Velasquez (who i think of cos Rockwell is similarly good at capturing skin, fabric, facial expressions etc.) doesn't have his very realistic looking figures gurning and tottering around... But of course he wasn't a comic artist.

But again, that might be a way around working out why i don't like the hyper-detailed look of the Rockwells.

He's obviously incredibly talented, as is the other guy who draws nude women fighting snakes etc. And that brings up all sorts of interesting questions in my mind about why being incredibly talented isn't enough to be a high artist. Is being a high artist about something formal/material, or is it simply about sticking to the subject matter that's traditionally deemed 'high'?
Ivan albright Screenshot_20240303_075732_Chrome.jpg

And John Currin Screenshot_20240303_075755_Chrome.jpg

Both do a similar thing to rockwell but lean into the discomfort and are 'high art'

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I mean, that doctor is totally ignoring that boy's bare bottom, so he's a pretty rubbish paedophile if you ask me.

linebaugh

Theres no mystery with frazetta or rockwell is there? Nothing to make you think theres something going on beyond exactly what your seeing. None of that mercurial Thing that 'high art' has.

linebaugh

It makes sense as both are often making work as adjunct additions for products of mass consumption- book covers, magazines, album art advertisements and etc.- but frazetta and rockwell completely hold the hand of the veiwer. Theres nothing about them that isnt user oriented and I think that makes the idea of them as high art uncomftorable.

linebaugh

No need to put them in a musuem as theres no special condition neccesary to accomadate the veiwer towards the art, the work itself does that.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It reminds me of the importance of subject matter in painting, which I tend to think plays a very distant second fiddle to technique in art. (Obviously I'm thinking about figurative art here.)

But it's also the technique. A lack of subtlety.

Anyhoo, I'm sure they wouldn't care to be compared to the "old masters" but it's an interesting comparison from my point of view.

Perhaps it's all bollocks that I've got into my head via book learning.

craner

Beast of Burden

Do you like Photorealists like Chuck Close and Ralph Goings?

version

And that brings up all sorts of interesting questions in my mind about why being incredibly talented isn't enough to be a high artist.

You see this with the kind of art that goes viral these days. It obviously takes skill, but it's often stuff like timelapse footage of someone doing a photorealistic portrait of Chadwick Boseman.

luka

mr tea is a bald literalist he dont understand subtext and that sort of thing.