Frank Frazetta vs Norman Rockwell

Frank vs. Norm

• Total voters

linebaugh

You see this with the kind of art that goes viral these days. It obviously takes skill, but it's often stuff like timelapse footage of someone doing a photorealistic portrait of Chadwick Boseman.
I just saw an instagram vid of woman who does photo realistic tattoos of john wick and the joker and things like that and she'll book end the videos with her going 'would you let a woman tattoo you?'

luka

Is being a high artist about something formal/material, or is it simply about sticking to the subject matter that's traditionally deemed 'high'?
Norn dont have a soul plus hes a pedo. Fanzettta has the soul of a 7 year old boy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
mr tea is a bald literalist he dont understand subtext and that sort of thing.
Can't say I entirely approve of this trend of saying obviously moronic things and then following up with an accusation of being a "literalist."

version

There's another bloke I learned about recently, can't remember his name, but he did loads of stuff for magazines and comics with soldiers and gangsters and cowboys, guys fighting tigers in the jungle, and stuff like that.

He's called Mort Kunstler.

a44085c811b2a5e46b5c17b137398c6e.jpg

Night-of-the-uuuu-Male-magazine-cover-March-1969.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 18-50-43 https __preview.redd.it_mort-k%25C3%25BCnstlers-pulp-art-v0-...png

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 18-50-56 https __preview.redd.it_mort-k%25C3%25BCnstlers-pulp-art-v0-...png

luka

my american uncle, Burt loves Hal Foster. he's bald and hes got a pony tail and a goatee. he loves smoking weed. he loves comics and painting lead figures.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Do you like Photorealists like Chuck Close and Ralph Goings?
Never heard of them

A cursory glance - it's extraordinary how close to (indistinguishable from) photography they have managed to make paint.

But I can't say I find this stuff particularly interesting beyond the trick of it.

It seems at least on a scant acquaintance with it to be about removing the visible impression of the artists vision and imagination from painting.

Again, useful for bringing into focus what is so great about Van Gogh, Munch, Turner, BLAKE (who I saw some stuff by today at Tate Britain) etc.

Richter seems to have done some interesting stuff with photorealism, by subverting or dispelling the illusion with blurring and so on

luka

i quite like the ralph goings stuff. glazed doughnuts, tomato ketchup, black coffee.